Have another cuppa (21 Mar, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Have another cuppa (21 Mar, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0321.shtml

Have you added anything to your diet as a result of "scientific studies" that indicate it could be good for your long-term health?

Do you cast a somewhat more cynical eye over these studies that suggest everything from tea to wine may make you healthier?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Have another cuppa (21 Mar, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:01 am

I'm always open to trying out new life-hacks, but very few have found a lasting spot in my day. I've never 'dieted' - I have a diet. It's changed gradually over the years, but I've never done 'three weeks of pineapple juice and coconut oil', or whatever.

We start most meals from raw veggies and (usually) meat. Some people can last years living on the cardboard MREs from the supermarket freezer, but not me.

We jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon a few years back, and actually found it made a big difference in how we felt. I don't know how much of it was due to the gluten, and how much was due to cutting out store-bought cakes, biscuits, pizza, burgers etc etc. We've gone somewhat back onto gluten, but we buy spelt flour 25KG at a time, and use that for all our baking. A bread-maker we bought a few years back was an excellent purchase, and gets used nearly every night.

We buy 'silver top' pasteurised, non-homogenised milk. I think the homogenisation process means those prone to a leaky gut are more affected by milk proteins, but mostly I just like the glob of cream on top.

Caffeine ingestion can be expensive, but I cherish my morning coffee. I've been roasting my own beans for many years, which adds in an extra layer of fun, and works out at around 25c per cup.

Most evenings we sip a finger of whisky. Other than an occasional bottle of wine, whisky is the only alcohol we always have in the house. Sometimes it's an Islay malt, but usually it's a blend.

The ONE thing I do each day that I really do think is a silver bullet is ride to work. The standing desk helps, the brisk walks help, but that morning bike ride through the park along the river gets the day off to a good start.
hagfish

Re: Have another conna (21 Mar, 2017)

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 am

Coffee and tea are both diuretics, so that may have been an 'outside' factor in the research.

A Naturopath once told me that coffee was ideal as an enema medium. Hmmmm. ;)

A glass or two or three (winter / summer) of tepid water first thing in the morning (before anything else) seems to be beneficial in many ways. It's not religious, but I try for that, each day. Oh, a lemon squeezed into it helps sharpen the mouth and deal to morning breath. Plus adds a bit of vitamin C. We have our own well water - maybe some town supplies may be less salubrious.

A king-sized (marketing) rort is muesli. Dr Bircher-Benner's original formulation was a tablespoon of rolled oats, plus a grated apple, some ground almonds, lemon juice and almond milk. The modern-day horse chaff is mainly rolled oats with no fresh fruit at all - almost the opposite of the good Doctor's recipe so it's a big con job.

A good video (Kate Cooper, short - 7 mins) to watch on this sort of thing is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTORFmMycQ
Keep a close eye on the change in the audience demeanour. They did not like what they were told and not one member of the audience offered any applause, at the end.
Perry

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

hagfish wrote:Most evenings we sip a finger of whisky. Other than an occasional bottle of wine, whisky is the only alcohol we always have in the house. Sometimes it's an Islay malt, but usually it's a blend..

Is that a horizontal finger or a vertical, Hag?
Must confess that a taste or two of home-brewed whisky does cure all sorts of aches & woes.

I also wondered about the efficacy of tea, I would have thought that the people most likely to suffer dementia etc are probably inveterate consumers of tea already. Or maybe they would have fallen victim to the disease much sooner if they weren't.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby ukoda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 pm

It is interesting that they mention Chinese elderly and by inference Chinese tea. My experience is that tea is 1000% different from the British style tea. The British style tea taste terrible, I don't know how people drink it, whereas the Chinese tea is quite subtle and I like it. Given they taste so different I wonder if they really share the same health benefits as the chemical composition must be significantly different to account for the taste difference?
ukoda

Postby Logan Savage » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Perry wrote:A good video (Kate Cooper, short - 7 mins) to watch on this sort of thing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTORFmMycQ Keep a close eye on the change in the audience demeanour. They did not like what they were told and not one member of the audience offered any applause, at the end.
A fascinating video, thanks for sharing it. I was cringing as I watched it, not because of the cruelty to animals or the dishonesty of advertisers which I was already aware of. No, what made me cringe was the presenters light chirpy tone and obvious delight in her own cleverness while remaining completely oblivious of the disgust and hostility coming from the audience. If I was speaking in front of an audience looking at me like that I'd want to hide under the table! Is she a total psychopath? Then the penny dropped and I realised it was a total fake, and the presenter is actually the very accomplished actress Kate Miles. A very clever set up and the way she turned it around and sprung the trap on the audience at the end was a masterpiece.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby Grumpy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:18 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Have you added anything to your diet as a result of "scientific studies" that indicate it could be good for your long-term health?

For many years I suffered from violent cramps in both legs at night time until I was pointed towards Magnesium capsules. The manufacturer prescribed dosage of 400mg/day (generally taken about 5pm) has worked wonders and I have not had a single dose of cramps for some 4 years now.

As for the daily cuppa of tea to retard dementia, I can't remember whether I have had mine today! :lol:

I like my daily cuppa plus the very occasional 'light' coffee. In between I drink copious quantities of water, local off the roof into the 25k litre tank and through a micro filter.

Perry wrote:Coffee and tea are both diuretics, so that may have been an 'outside' factor in the research.

So I have heard, but I still have to take a daily 'furosemide' to stop me accumulating fluids, but my other medications require that I keep up a good liquid intake.... what the hell, I am still alive and kicking so something must be working.

ukoda wrote:The British style tea taste terrible, I don't know how people drink it
... gee, don't let my wife hear you say that, "English Breakfast Blend" is her favourite!
Grumpy

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Logan Savage wrote:A fascinating video, thanks for sharing it. Then the penny dropped and I realised it was a total fake, and the presenter is actually the very accomplished actress Kate Miles. A very clever set up and the way she turned it around and sprung the trap on the audience at the end was a masterpiece.

Mmmm - you've got me concerned, now. I had wondered what would motivate a food marketer to blow the whistle. Was the whole thing a set-up? Was the audience in on the charade? How valid was Kate's address text?
Perry

Postby Logan Savage » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 am

Perry wrote:Mmmm - you've got me concerned, now. I had wondered what would motivate a food marketer to blow the whistle. Was the whole thing a set-up? Was the audience in on the charade? How valid was Kate's address text?
I think the content was valid, it was certainly in line with what I've read elsewhere. And the audience looked genuine to me. But it was criticism by an outsider, not by an insider. So why fool the audience like that? Well, this is just my opinion, but I think it was to break through the audience's self-protection.

We judge others by their actions but ourselves by our thoughts and intentions. At worst that can lead to smug self-righteousness, but more subtle is a form of subconscious self-protection that deflects criticism onto others. There is an insightful story in the Bible where the prophet Nathan wanted to criticise King David. Instead of coming straight out with it and giving David a chance to deflect it, Nathan created a fictitious crime. After David had bought into it and got angry at the villain Nathan sprung the trap and told the King the story was really about him. In this case Kate Miles sets herself up as the villain "Kate Cooper", the audience buy into it and you can see their loathing and hatred of her on their faces. And then she springs the trap; She isn't the villain, and the people who are being fooled aren't the villains; the real villains are the people who know this stuff but don't act on it. People like me. :oops:
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am

Very incisive and insightful.
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column