What Windows? (18 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What Windows? (18 Jul, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0718.shtml

So how do I set up a brand new Windows 7 box -- given that MS no longer sell Win 7?

Do I download a cracked version and have a system that is pwnd straight out of the box?

Do I buy an old junker second-hand PC and use the license from that?

Do I find someone with an OEM copy of Windows and use that to set up the new box?

Or do I bite the bullet and go with Win 10 anyway?

And what's the best value in i7 boxes right now?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What Windows? (18 Jul, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am

If you go the ex-lease-potato-from-TradeMe route, the OEM license will likely be tied to that hardware, and you'll have to jump through re-activation hoops. I've been able to re-activate my OEM copy of Win7 when my hard drive died, but if the only thing you're keeping is the serial number, it'll be 'fingers crossed'.

If you already have a decent case and power supply, there are lots of Mobo/CPU/RAM combos if you search TradeMe under Computers > Components > Motherboards. Filter by 'used', and it's likely there will be a relatively recent Core-i7 in a 1155 board with 16GB RAM pulled from a working system, for only a $few hundy. My approach would then be to hold my nose, get Windows 10, and try to keep an air-gap between that machine and anything 'important'.
hagfish

Postby phill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am

i needed a hardwear upgrade so brought a win 7 i7 off lease
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/compu ... d/shop-all

mine was $400 on a sale day down from $600 odd
phill

Postby Glenn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 am

Bruce,

You really disappoint me today. Why are you in begging mode?

If you have a genuine copy of Win7 and the software you need for your video editing then...

Purchase, beg borrow but do not steal the hardware that meets your requirements for speed...

Transfer the software to the new system and go. You can extract the "KEY" from your current Win7 system.
Provided it is genuine.
I never suspected you could not use google.
Use the key to activate and no need to speak to "my name is harry".
Really Bruce. I should tell you to use Linux Mint blaaaaaaaaa.
Glenn.
Glenn

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am

But Glenn, I'm not in begging mode (except perhaps begging for feedback on this issue).

The goal is to add a new Windows machine to the gear I've got here -- not to simply upgrade the old box -- which means that I won't be able to use the same key on two boxes -- right?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby JonL » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Bruce - I've got a new copy of W7 pro unused you can have...just send me an address
JonL

Postby par_annoyed » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Thoughts, ideas, in no particular order, one might help, I hope.
Personally I really like Linux, but then I've used Unix for a long time in my job, so I'm well used to the command line interface, and I can even use vi with regular expressions.....so I can't help but start there.

Do you know if your rendering software will run with Wine ? (win32 interface/libraries in Linux) more and more stuff does run, many games, so that may work for video rendering too ? They do have a compatibility status list on their web site if you want to check the idea.

Perhaps a Win7 / 8 running in a VM (virtualbox) ? Its overhead is surprisingly low - I can't tell the difference for the games I run (but it certainly ain't heavy duty video rendering ...) and you can download Win7 with or without cracks and even as a preloaded vbox appliance - and it's sandboxed. Or even Win10 in a VM, which gives you control of all its outside communications (the main worry) A bit like a super firewall !

You may not need to relearn all that much to swop tools ..
A lot of linux stuff (LibreOffice for example) looks pretty much identical to its rivals. My wife (who isn't that tech) took only a day or two to swop over - and she is used to lots of embedded formulas at multiple levels in the spreadsheets she uses. Writer is almost the same as Word (and designed to be). Lubuntu even has a 'windows' themed desktop option.....

Hardware - I'm looking around now too, and a confusing range of options, even more so now that AMD has just released its new Ryzen range - it apparently trounces Core i5 and i7 for heavy work at lower/same price, so may be worth considering for your video stuff ? But will be pricey for a while I suspect. I don't need that much grunt, so I'm hanging around to see if previous generation prices drop any....

You could look at 2nd hand server kit with Xeons - some of those look very cheap for the power available - who cares if it comes in a rack box !! [trademe]
par_annoyed

Postby roygbiv » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Just to add merit to all the options you have stated I would suggest that you bite the bullet.

Go and buy a new piece of tin which has latest WIN OS on it, plug it in and away you go. It is the simplest solution and in terms of initial outlay the most expensive but you get the 1 year warranty at least, on everything. Plus (now I say this tongue in cheek as this is MS), you spend no time faffing around trying to get right combination of drivers to work and worshipping the god Google for hours on end identifying undocumented features.
Weighing up the hassle factor of other options, over a year this may turn out to be the cheapest option if you put a $ value on hours spent maintaining it.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm

JonL wrote:Bruce - I've got a new copy of W7 pro unused you can have...just send me an address

Excellent...

B. Simpson
Box 426
Tokoroa 3444

Woohoo... problem solved!

Thanks mate!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Weasel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm

I was going to say, buy a used Dell machine with the Windows 7 license sticker stuck to it, and I'll post you a Windows 7 Dell recovery DVD, it auto activates it self on Dell hardware.
Weasel

Next

Return to Today's column