Technology just rolls on (7 Dec, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Technology just rolls on (7 Dec, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:57 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1207.shtml

The cool side-effect of rapidly advancing technology is that things keep getting smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster and better -- almost on a daily basis.

The camera (and other) technology used in my small "night flying" drone are a great example of this. Just a decade or two ago, this drone would have been impossible to make, or at the very least "highly restricted" military-grade stuff.

Today however, it's cheap as beans and twice as good as the stuff that cost a small fortune not so long ago.

How are governments going to deal with the incredible pace at which these technologies are advancing?

Regulation will only control the actions of the law-abiding amongst us and generally speaking, they're not the problem.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Technology just rolls on (7 Dec, 2017)

Postby phill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:18 am

i have been waiting for almost a decade for a cheap sino flir camera
i am surprised i have had to wait this long .. and still waiting

as a further surprise .. the price hasnt moved much in over 15 years

i have to think its more that research and development costs and normal market forces that is effecting this

given the advances in tec i would have expected them to be down to the usable on a cheap drone size by now

( i want to do some research on how good they are for pest hunting at night )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 am

There's a lot of work being done with the cheap Lepton FLIR sensors -- although the resolution is still relatively low (160x120). However, using the FLIR image as an overlay on a conventional camera (such as the one in my little drone) provides a surprisingly good level of detail.

http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=66257
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 am

got it
but its also part of my point
they are a yank company .. part of the original FLIR
no cheap chinese thermal cams based on that tec ( well not as good or cheap as i expected them to be by this point .. and most of them are using genuine FLIR sensors )

confusing cause like thermos, axminster and hoover .. the common name is the original manufacturers name ( FLIR forward looking infra red )
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:33 am

The powers-that-be may indeed be spooked but somewhere in the last 12hrs I saw an article describing how they are adapting the Peregrine falcon’s technique for hitting fast moving targets to make a drone killer that can intercept intruding drones. Let the arms race begin...”Gentlemen, start your engines!”
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby GoGijoe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 am

I thought they had cheap flir addons for mobile phones.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/
GoGijoe

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

No wonder people don't believe the newspapers...

I read this piece in the NZH today: Concerns raised over night time drones in Waihi in which it states "Civil Aviation regulations say people flying Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) or drones, need permission to fly over other people's properties and are not allowed to fly at night" -- which is clearly rubbish.

Was the flight in my video illegal because it was performed at night?

No it wasn't.

So how can CAA say that flying at night is illegal?

Because they failed to include the fact that it *is* legal if you are flying a shielded operation. Hell, if (once again) CAA can't even get their own rules right then what chance does "Joe Average-public" have of getting them right?

Bad form CAA and bad for BOP Times for not verifying information given to them (even by a government agency) before representing it as "fact".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm

And just as a follow-up to that, I wanted to contact the BOP Times/NZH to correct them but there is *no* contact mechanism that I can easily find on their websites. No comments section, no email address, no form - NOTHING.

Why's that NZH? Too many complaints about bullshirt stories?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Muz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Muz

Postby Screw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

And:

COMPLAINTS

The Bay of Plenty Times is subject to NZ Press Council procedures.

A complaint must first be directed in writing to the Editor by emailing complaints@bayofplentytimes.co.nz

If not satisfied with the response, the complaint may be referred to the Press Council, PO Box 10-879, The Terrace, Wellington 6143. Or use the online complaint form at www.presscouncil.org.nz. Please include copies of the article and all correspondence with the publication.
Screw

Return to Today's column