Can you sense the frustration? (14 Feb, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Can you sense the frustration? (14 Feb, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0214.shtml

Okay, a council has the right to accept or refuse offers of assistance and advice as they see fit.

However, when someone like myself has an incredibly long track-record of always being 100% right and offers to deliver (for free) *more* than the council's own paltry efforts in the area of marketing, do they actually have the right to waste ratepayers' money?

Why is this council repeatedly spending a small fortune on private consultants to try and disprove my advice on regulatory matters?

Why is this council turning away over $100K worth of free promotion and instead blowing $100K of ratepayers' money on a plan designed to do exactly what I've been doing for the past decade or so?

Why are the council going to spend *any* money encouraging businesses to come to the district if, as they have done with every single business I've encouraged to come here, they either ignore them or turn them away from the door?

Is this "marketing plan" just another exercise in bureaucracy and "feel good-ism"?

And the final insult... last year I offered to help the council with their use of Social Media and, in particular, their use of YouTube. The CEO (the one who doesn't think social media is important) reassured me that they have all the skills they need in-house.

Let's see... how many subscribers do they have on YouTube?

Wow, a whole 16 and all but one of their videos is struggling to crack the 200-views mark.

Can you sense the frustration?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you sense the frustration? (14 Feb, 2018)

Postby Stevesub » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am

Bruce, sorry to be blunt about this and you may ban me from this forum (and I don't blame you if you do) but you are flogging a dead horse. You have peed the council and or people there off big time so no matter what you do, they are ignoring you. I think it is time to give up and just do your own thing. Let them do theirs and walk away. I know the reason why you cannot leave town (you have published those details in the past) so head down, bum up and get on with enjoying life without worrying yourself about the council, they ain't going to change.
Stevesub

Postby granada29 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

I think the only reason Bruce has 'peed the council and or people off big time' is that he has spoken the truth and perhaps made them look a little (a lot) foolish.

I don't know about Tokoroa, but here in Auckland you have to be prepared to pay back-handers to the council and their staff and hope you don't get caught. See https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/corrupt-a ... -cg-199807 for details.

Not suggesting you go that way at all Bruce, but I bet 'what can you do for me personally' mentality is pretty prevalent through all the councils in NZ and you're just not scratching the right backs.
granada29

Postby latewings » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

Take some of your lucre and purchase a plot of land outside any airspace jurisdiction and town boundaries. As the land owner you have the right to allow drone flight, and with no impact to commercial aviation you'll have the ideal spot to build a thriving business. Or put a business plan together and present that to a lending institution and with the backing of your established YT audience you might have a viable growth business the justify the investment from them.

This would allow you to set up a Drone Racing Arena along with all the tech the site can muster to track, record and publish the results to your channel.

Oh, and approach the local B&B's to scratch their backs with the visitors to the region.

Then purchase a supply of popcorn as you alone reap the rewards.
latewings

Postby phill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm

wow
i hate reading "Janet and John go marketing "
but
i did it
learnt nothing .. cause nothing was there to learn .. just some dumbass marketing poopile spurting basic marketing 101 sentences in the guise of wisdom
probably plagiarized from any number of other local sites in the same position ( grasping at long thin hollow things for drinking )

reality
swd
foggy damp and cold

i loved the bit where they think they are just a poorly marketed version of Rotovegus and Taupo
well yehh ... cept for a couple of huge holes in the ground full of water and trophy trout and a few others spitting steam and sulphur ( ie chalk and cheese )

they had their chance at similar with the blue springs but gave them away instead

i fear in the end it was just an exercise in marketing justifying themselves and their pay packets
and as usual ... epic fail
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm

6.1) INTERNAL AUDIENCES
6.1.1) The Local Community
The South Waikato District is home to over 24,000 people who potentially have family, friends and contacts
from all around the country and the world. Ideally, local residents should be advocating for their district
through these networks.
This is a cost effective way to communicate with many people and it shows why
the local residents are an important target market.
Ideal outcome - Local residents are advocates for their district.

LoL.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 pm

phill wrote:they had there chance at similar with the blue springs but gave them away instead

Actually the Blue Springs fiasco was further evidence that they have no clue what they're doing.

They "promoted" the attraction, likely thinking/hoping that like all their other attempts at marketing, nobody would come.

Damn and blast! People did come... and they came in droves... too many people came!

They had no plan in place to cope with the numbers of people nor (even more importantly) to separate them from some of their hard earned cash while they were there.

A failure to plan is a plan to fail.

This is why the current SWDC marketing plan is so fatally flawed.

As you noticed, it's filled with Marketing 101 catch-prhases and buzzwords and most of the stuff is pretty simple and would work if implemented properly. However... the problem is that I have seen absolutely NOTHING to convince me that anyone who responds to this marketing plan will not find the doors closed at council when they get here.

Housing for example...

There is a housing shortage here but the council is still proud of the fact that so many retired people are selling-up in Auckland, Tauranga and the like so as to shift to Tokoroa, where they'll live out their days waiting for God.

Sorry... but an aged population of people on the pension does not make for a vibrant, buzzing and growing district. By and large, these people have bought their last washing machine, car, lounge-suite etc., and being old, they're more likely to be very frugal with their expenditure. In short... they're bugger-all value to local businesses.

Far better to encourage young families in well-paid jobs. They'll have more money to throw around and they will do so -- furnishing their homes, enjoying their leisure-time and putting the kids through school.

Why waste houses on the old and fiscally constrained when those same houses could do so much more for the district if they were filled with a skilled labour-force and mouths that had to be fed?

Of course getting those young families here will require jobs be available for them -- and that's why I am gobsmacked that this council has budgeted just $2,500 in 2018/19 for the purpose of attracting businesses to the district. Seriously? Just 0.05% of the amount they plan to spend on a hideous memorial to themselves in the form of the planned monolith in the front of town.

Now I get Steve's point that I may be flogging a dead horse and he may be right... although people said the same thing about my crusade to get the bylaws changed so we could fly drones in the park, and I prevailed (eventually).

Ultimately, to get the change on the drone rules I had to use the powers of the Local Government Act and also the power of public opinion. If I have to do the same over these issues, I will do so.

Remember: for evil to prevail requires only that good men do nothing.

Our airfield is another issue I'll be still pushing.

We have $2.5 million of ratepayers money tied up in an asset that is only used by 5 ratepayers and which represents a situation where some of the poorest ratepayers in the country are subsidising out-of-district flying schools who employ nobody here, pay no rates and significantly reduce the safety of operations at that airfield due to their regular breaches of CAA regulations.

The council's swimming pool complex is worth about $2.5m. Do you think they would keep that open or justify its existence if only five local people used it (and had to pay for the privilege) while others from out of town could use it for free -- while the costs were paid for by everyone's rates?

Too many bad things happening around here!

And yes Latewings, your quote is very salient. Nobody more than myself has leveraged their friends, contacts and connections to promote this district -- yet the SWDC won't make the slightest effort to accommodate the large numbers who have responded and said they'd like to come visit.

Empty Rhetoric!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

well ok
i learnt one thing

they want lots and lots of people to move there
but there are no houses for them to live in
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Here's another example that has just occurred.

As Latewings pointed out, part of this marketing plan is to try and induce people in the district to network with their friends and associates outside the district in order to promote the place and encourage people to come here.

So I planned to organise a fly-in for RC model fliers at Easter -- but there is an aspect of the rules for the airfield which mean that this would be impossible without some assurances from council. In short.. the way the rules are written means that if a single model jet flier turns up unannounced then the whole event would have to be canceled.

I sought assurance from council that this would not be allowed to happen and was told that if I want to hold this event (that might bring a few dozen people from around the North Island for a day or four) I would have to "hire" the airfield, close it and pay over $1,500 in fees.

WTF?

Remember that others can use this airfield for free -- especially if they don't live in the district and therefore don't even pay rates. But I pay rates, an annual fee and am now expected to pay an additional fee if I want to try and fill Tokoroa's shops with visitors. Am I on the wrong planet or something?

We don't want or need to close the airfield. We would like to keep it open so that other users are not affected. We've had many events at the airfield without closing it and incurring the expenses involved in doing so. What's more, with the freaky weather of this summer, who wants to take a punt that it won't be rained or blown out and all you're left with is a $1500 debt?

So it seems that the marketing plan is painting a wonderful picture of the district that bears no resemblance to reality. If this plan does work, so many people are going to be so disappointed when they discover that the reality of the South Waikato does not match the image painted in that plan. Businesses will continue to be turned away because the council prefers to stay in the 19th century. Visitors will find that there's nowhere to stay and that instead of working with organisers to facilitate "the big picture", the council instead tries to throw up roadblocks at every turn to prevent such events.

I'm living with this reality and I still can't believe it's true. It is just too fantastically bad.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:
So it seems that the marketing plan is painting a wonderful picture of the district that bears no resemblance to reality. .

aaand
what made you think marketing works in any other way ?

it went to great lengths to inform people it was a marketing thing
( a justification for the department to exist )

no requirement for facts and such
phill

Next

Return to Today's column