Are we being LED astray? (16 Jul, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Are we being LED astray? (16 Jul, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/0716.shtml

Have they replaced the sodium vapour streetlighting in your area with LED units yet?

If so, how do you rank the results:

a) as a pedestrian at night
b) as a driver at night

Does LED street-lighting really provide satisfactory results when you simply replace sodium vapour bulbs with LEDs and maintain the same light position and spacing?

How can we be saving energy if LEDs are actually less efficient than SV -- unless we're actually decreasing the area illuminated (as appears to be the case when a straight retrofit is performed)?

And here's an interesting fact... the most unreliable part of the new LED streetlamps has proven to be the driver electronics which as a MTTF of around 100K hours. The actual LEDs themselves last much longer.

And what's your choice of colour for LED streetlights -- warm (soft white) or cold (harsh blue)?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Are we being LED astray? (16 Jul, 2018)

Postby Malcolm » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am

Warm white, less damaging to dark vision so you can still see when away from the direct illumination of the light.
I have no problem with using LED street lights, so long as the light itself is well designed, sadly the ones they have installed our area don't seem to be. In a well designed light fitting you shouldn't be able to see the emitter. These things you can.
Basically it was as if the designer saw the recommendations here http://darksky.org/lighting/lighting-basics/ And ignored them all.

While the light pollution might seem mostly relevant to people wanting to look at the stars it also helps with the performance of the lighting plan as it helps people be able to see things not directly illuminated by the light as it helps prevent the loss of dark vision caused by looking at a too bright light source.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 am

not sure if the ones they installed here are led or not
but
walking along the path at night is like walking across a chess board

its incorporating into the design of the lighting layout the characteristics of each type that makes a difference
no matter how good or bad each light is if they are not merged into one whole then its just a pigs ass
as it is here

remember all these changes have to go through the 3 top incompetents in a council
the ceo with the .. we can space them out further and save money
the financial controller .. if we get this type instead they will be cheaper
and the purchasing twit .. i found some that were the cheapest

none of whom have a clue as to what they are actually changing or the effect of what they are doing

thats why there is a qualification called lighting engineer ..
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 am

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/lost-led-revolution-light-pollution-increasing/

The changes in Milan are quite stark. With the old sodium lights, filters could be used on telescopes to eliminate the frequency those light's emitted in a very, very narrow band. The new LED lights are too broad in range to find one filter that will do the job. Blue light scatters very easily, so the effects are not being localised anymore.

The lights in my street went LED some time ago. I noted that joggers were running on the road at night as the lights were no longer illuminating the very cracked footpaths.
latewings

Postby namartinnz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

I had LEDs placed outside my house a few months ago, and apart from the cool white light which would be irritating indoors, I have no issue with the light bleed compared to what I had previuosly...
namartinnz

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:54 pm

From looking at the ones around here, they seem to be fitting (what could be) LDR switches to each individual light.

If that's true, perhaps such switches would not work with the sodium vapour type lights?

Just speculating . . .
Perry

Postby Screw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Dunno -- no street lights where I live, not far away now but!
Screw

Return to Today's column