Thanks for borrowing our software (9 Nov, 2018)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Thanks for borrowing our software (9 Nov, 2018)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2018/1109.shtml

Does it worry you that sofware vendors are increasingly turning to online-authentication of their code -- to the extent that a failure in their authentication servers or the Net that connects them to your computer can disable the package you've bought and paid for?

As some game users have found, when a company goes out of business, their software might just stop working completely.

Is this something you consider when buying new software? Should it be?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for borrowing our software (9 Nov, 2018)

Postby Stevesub1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:43 am

My WIN10 PRO laptop is still fine. I did got to Linux for a while but had too many problems that were all too hard eg old printers, scanners, etc. All of my software is freeware so no problems there with codes, etc. However I do have paid apps on my Android devices, in fact I prefer paid to free as I cannot stand the ad's on free apps.
Stevesub1

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 am

How often is the latest and greatest simply nothing like that for the user?

Too often. And at your peril, people.

Constant upgrades (because of deficiencies in the original, paid-for software, no less) give licence to b**st**rds like microcrapt to access your device at their discretion.

Bugger off, I say!
Perry

Postby phill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

it worries me .. a lot
i was dubious with silent hunter 4's drm
but when 5 came out with its need to phone home before it would finish its boot .. and had to be connected all the time it was used
( and then you find its a buggy pos that should never have been released in the state it was )
i have never bought another ubisoft product of any type since ( the only vote that counts .. the one with the feet )

as a side note
while i have a steam ( valve ) account somewhere
its another one i refuse to use .. ( and have never given them a cent ) for the same reasons

while i use win 7 at times
i cannot see myself ever going to the win 10 model

i think the saddest thing is its also used to completely remove any chance of having to take responsibility for anything that goes wrong at any time
Last edited by phill on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby roygbiv » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:27 am

My work laptop still has WIN7 and is fine, it is just a tool for the job. My home Mac has MS Office 365 for Mac or whatever which needs to be authenticated periodically with something or other on the web. I am a bit uncomfortable with this for the very reason that my laptop is not an internet of things thing and has full ability to do everything that does not need comms, independent of the internet ie. writing and calculating.
The MS 365 experiment is not doing them justice and partially explains the increasing popularity of Linux and Apple at their cost.
Like Phil I would not touch Win10 with a barge pole, and more importantly I think my company will not either, they are offering Macs as an alternative.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:49 am

Is there a version of Libre-Office for the Mac?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 am

LibreOffice is available for a variety of computing platforms,[6] including Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux (including a LibreOffice Viewer for Android[14]), as well as in the form of an online office suite.

from wiki

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby par_annoyed » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I gave up on Win a long time ago, and have had various Linux flavours ever since. For almost every 'app' there is a substitute for the Win original. I say *almost* as there are still some holes.
I even overwrote the Win 10 with Linux on my brand new laptop !

Ignoring all the 'phone home' stuff, I would like a copy of an OS which I either own, or is free to own. I really don't want to rent one, thank you.

I have Virtualbox and a couple of old win XP and Win 7 VM's (and I have licences !) for those times I need a Windows OS. VM performance is pretty damn good too.

Poor M$ seem to be having a hard time at the moment, very unprofessional indeed....but then makes me wonder, if their servers fail, does EVERYONE'S win 10 stop working ?? Hmmm....

Even gaming is not a big problem on Linux any more !
par_annoyed

Return to Today's column