YouTube bans ads on "controversial" videos (18 Jan, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

YouTube bans ads on "controversial" videos (18 Jan, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/0118.shtml

Don't dare to express any dissent or foment controversy on Google's YouTube platform because their policy is to demonetize such videos as being "not adveriser-friendly".

Seriously?

Is the average Net user quite aware of just how much the stuff they see and hear online is shaped by giants like Google (and Facebook etc)?

It seems that YouTube is constantly lowering the bar when it comes to what triggers demonetization, to the extent that pretty soon the only videos qualifying will be those that endorse Alphabet's own ideologies and beliefs.

What a sad place the world is becoming.

Did you see anything wrong with the video that was demonetized?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: YouTube bans ads on "controversial" videos (18 Jan, 2019

Postby roygbiv » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am

Good video, seems you are not allowed to express an opinion by YT, Are you sure sure it is that video ??? certainly was not controversial.
Perhaps you should try another outlet than YT.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:31 am

Sadly, YT has the critical mass required to reach the indended audience and, given the financial barriers to entry for a would-be-YT-killer, I don't see that changing any time soon.

What I may have to do, if YT continues to demonetize any "controversial" videos (and I do try to foment discussion with many of my vids) is start selling swag or something to make up the shortfall.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm feeling very annoyed at the moment about this kind of garbage.
Unfortunately this type of crap is the inevitable outcome of all the political correctness and arse covering.
After all, the excuse is that it's really to protect YOUR rights, and not about free speech
because after all you might offend some poor little snowflake who refuses to take responsibility for ANYTHING he/she/it/them/they/?? has done, and God forbid you might offend them
Just like the Liverpool family, the teens dying in the stolen car, ..... "They're good kids really...." !! WTF !! 13 year old kids stealing cars ??

Yeah, call me what you want, I don't bloody care. This is what you get. Here comes 1984. I think quite a lot of it is here already. Orwell was DEAD RIGHT, he just didn't see the internet quite as it is, but his monitor screen idea was so close to reality, it's scary.

"Hey Alexa....." People are So dumb they're actually making it WORSE !
par_annoyed

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I agree... just about every developed nation now wants anyone who plays with toy aeroplanes to be "registered" in their database as a potential offender, should a drone be seen at the local airport.

Seriously?

Doesn't the state have better things to do?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Yep, you know that when China does this stuff, it's most definitely for control and suppression of their population. No conspiracy theories, no arguments. Social credit score, barking at jaywalkers, that sort of stuff. CONTROL.

But the Western world (= us) seem to be sleepwalking into exactly the same situation by default - each new little regulation, each new little registration process, each new 'payback' scheme (e.g. store cards, flybys, through to drones, etc) all logging who you are and what you do, and at the same time, there seems to be ever more global campaigns about all sorts of minority groups who seem to have their main aim as shaming the 'privileged', whoever they are (white middle class males as far as I can tell). But then it could be me as a (not so rich) white grumpy old sod showing my completely unacceptable prejudices against everyone and everything..... Yeah, just might be that.....

Something is wrong with modern society, and it seems to have happened by stealth, and I find myself shaking my head and saying "WTF ?!" far too often. But it could also be just me getting more and more like my grandad.
par_annoyed

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:24 pm

You are not alone.

I hear tell that it's called 'progress.'

:evil:
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:03 pm

par_annoyed wrote:Something is wrong with modern society, and it seems to have happened by stealth, and I find myself shaking my head and saying "WTF ?!" far too often. But it could also be just me getting more and more like my grandad.

I must admit I may be growing into an apprentice old fart too, we are not the only ones no doubt. But then I remember the immortal words from Tony Capstick and appreciate what we have now and making my beer glass half full again.

" We did lots of things in them days they haven't got today
Rickets, Diptheria, Hitler, and by we did look well going to school with no backsides in us trousers n
all us little heads painted Purple cause we had Ringworm
They Dunt Know theyre Born Today!!!! "

:D
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 am

Is that a valid comparison?

Technological change - science, medicine, etc - is not the same as erosion of ethics, morals, self-reliance, personal responsibility, community cohesion;

and the replacement by:

it's always someone else's fault, the world owes me, I deserve the best without working for it, I must be protected from the crap of this world and so on.

My guess is that's what par-annoyed had in mind. Especially with the use of the expression: 'snowflake.'
Perry

Postby Perry » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:14 pm

The irony - if not hypocrisy - of this might be shown by something like this utube video, be-sprinkled with obscenities, as it is.

The sentiments have validity to me, but, besides the gutter-mouth language, it is a very anti-USA expose.

Where are gooble's censors?
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column