How the internet created a global trade war (12 Jul, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

How the internet created a global trade war (12 Jul, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:18 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/dail/2019/0712.shtml

Will governments continue to respond to the growth in cross-border trade using the Net by just throwing up barriers such as digital taxes and the like?

Might this eventually produce a world where each nation's economy becomes even more insular?

Is the era of "Global free trade" about to come to an end?

Are politicians being incredibly myopic by seeing the freedom of trade produced by the Net as a problem rather than an opportunity?

Instead of simply errecting trade barriers against foreign companies, why isn't the NZ government doing something positive and creating support for Kiwi companies that can benefit from such trade in a way that produces a surplus in our favour? Or would that just be too hard for the poor wooden-heads in Wellington?

Will Jacinda prove herself to be a leader or a slavish follower of countries like France?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: How the internet created a global trade war (12 Jul, 201

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Are we to innovate and turn lemons into lemonade -- or are we just going to join the "mob" who can't think to save themselves?
So your question boils down to "do you want to be smart and right like me or stupid and wrong like those who disagree with me?" Which in philosophy is known as the "Poisoning the well" informal fallacy. In my experience every side to an argument has its own share of pros and cons as well as leaders and followers. If there wasn't then there probably wouldn't be an argument in the first place.
Muscular Jam

Borer in the Woodenheads

Postby Perry » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Whether or not there is poisoning of anything, one thing seems more certain.

Politicians most everywhere seem to struggle - and fail to grapple - with the changes that are happening around them, as well as the speed with which they are changing.
Perry

Return to Today's column