5G, what will it do for us? (10 Oct, 2019)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

5G, what will it do for us? (10 Oct, 2019)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:24 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2019/1010.shtml

Exactly what will 5G technology bring to the table for the betterment of mankind and the improvement of our lives?

If we set aside the claims of those who think the RF from 5G will fry our brains, are there other dangers we ought to be cognisant of?

Is it inevitable that we will harness the power of 5G in an attempt to create super-AI systems based on distributed processing, perhaps incorporating devices as basic as those on the IOT?

Would this be wise? Should it be regulated against -- given the warnings of Musk and Hawking?

Or should we just sit back and enjoy the RWC next time around, without the hassles of trying to make it work via a crappy DSL connection in the back of nowhere?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: 5G, what will it do for us? (10 Oct, 2019)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 am

I've never really been worried about Skynet, but always thought that Jane from Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead" (sequal to "Ender's Game") was a distinct possibility.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby goosemoose » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Exactly what will 5G technology bring to the table for the betterment of mankind and the improvement of our lives?

More sales and marketing people and more TV advertisements promoting it.

As with anything the fastest speed you'll get is the same as the slowest link in the chain. The bandwidth and increase in capacity will be worth it but that'll be offset by needing more infrastructure than traditional 3G or 4G. I'm curious as to what the coverage will be like when people start using it in anger, how many dad spots will there be? Will I get 5G between Cambridge and Hamilton for instance?

I'm not really convinced by it yet, but vets doing surgery on dogs from the other side of the world seem to be.
goosemoose

Postby phord » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:30 am

Sooner or later, IVP4 will be obsoleted by IVP6.
Facetime, Skype, WhatsApp, etc, have such crappy video quality beacuse the video bandwidth goes through a free server.
All mobiles using IVP6 will have a unique public IP address.
Video conferencing will have no need for an intermediate server.

However, all the cloud services that store everyones videos and photos (icloud, google drive, dropbox, etc) make a fortune out of synchronizing with your phone, then asking for monthly fees over a limit, etc.
It's in their interest that IPV6 is delayed, because having a unique public IP address on a very fast connection means that you can share everything with everyone directly.
Why bother uploading videos to YouTube.
phord

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:31 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:If we set aside the claims of those who think the RF from 5G will fry our brains
actually I'd be interested in hearing more about those claims. Is it just flat-earther types spreading FUD or do they have genuine cause for concern? As we have learnt from Thalidomide, asbestos, CFCs, Roundup and others, its a good idea to take an independant look at safety instead of just taking the manufacturer's word and rushing into things.
Necrotic Kingdom

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Well the reality is that we've been bathed in EM radiation for ever and man-made EM radiation for many decades. I'm sure that if there was a correlation between rates of cancer or other problems and our exposure to EM radiation then the connection would have been well and truly proven by now. But, I *never* say never :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:40 pm

cancer rates have risen
dramatically
no one has yet found where to point the finger to the degree that litigation requires
tobacco lobbies, monsanto and the agri chems , emf's , food additives , gm'foods, obesity
are all in the mix
so you cannot say its safe and does nothing
just it hasn't been proven to

to my best knowledge smoking does not harm the user
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby decibel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Well, we won't see doctors performing surgery via a 5G network.

UFB or its equivalent for me anyday.
decibel

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:04 pm

phill wrote:cancer rates have risen
dramatically
no one has yet found where to point the finger to the degree that litigation requires

Therein lies the problem... establishing a solid cause and effect correlation.

And let's not forget that we're no longer dying of many other causes (thanks to modern medicine) so it's only natural that death by cancer will have increased significantly even without any pathogenic cause.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:23 pm

yup i forgot the longevity clause

trouble with that one is the percentages dont match up well
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Return to Today's column