Countdown to oblivion (supermarket stuff) (26 Mar, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Countdown to oblivion (supermarket stuff) (26 Mar, 2020)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:23 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2020/0326.shtml

There appear to be plenty of companies out there keen to boost their profits during these challenging times. Let's hope that Kiwis have long memories and that karma comes back to bite these profiteers on the arse.

I'm being short-changed on my broadband and my Netflix -- but to be honest, I don't really care because "greater good" and all that.

However, I really get pissed off that Countdown is rolling out feeble excuses for what looks to me like its blatant profiteering.

I am also really annoyed that the high-risk environment that front-line checkout staff are now forced to work under is not being reflected in their pay packets.

What do you think?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to oblivion (supermarket stuff) (26 Mar, 2020)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:53 am

But if you try to sell your toilet paper stockpile on the open market it's called out as blantant profiteering and sneered upon, if not illegal. Whereas big business does the same, well you know the answer to that one.

I wonder how Countdown are treating their suppliers? The big supermarkets have a habit of screwing them over, despite what the lovely TV ad's say. And yes you're right, all of a sudden these so called lowly jobs are vital to the survival of the country. If your checkout operators decided not to go to work chaos would ensure in no time. If the CEO or management decided not to turn up, nothing. life would continue.
goosemoose

Postby paulw » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 am

"It seems that paying for the HD version of Netflix will soon (if not already) only get you the SD version. Are they going to discount my bill to the SD cost? If not, I'll be pretty pissed off." Only if you're in the EU will you go SD. Here it's HD but I would like a discount from my ISP for paying for an unlimited plan so I pay the same as a person on a restricted plan who has been increased to unlimited.
paulw

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

Ahh, quibbles about internet speeds, gripes about supermarket specials. The unfairness! Does anyone else remember those blithe days, before The Event?
hagfish

Postby phill » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 am

the logistics of repricing stock would take up too much staff time.

kaitaia pak n save have wireless price tags which can be changed at the click of a keyboard .. if they have it chances are they are in most stores already ..
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )

i might live and eat in a sewer .. but hey look how many of these shiny things i have got
phill

Postby Muz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 am

Specials are designed to get people into your business to buy something that is cheaper than the opposition. All going well, they will buy other pricier merchandise when they are there. If the demand is high and the people will buy the product anyway then why would you drop the price?

Airlines don't. Price goes up during peak demand (especially now.)
Motels don't. Price goes up during peak demand.
Hotels don't. Price goes up during peak demand.
Car rentals don't. Price goes up during peak demand.
Camper van rentals don't. Price goes up during peak demand.

The list goes on, so why, especially when people are panicking and stripping shelves (despite pleas to shop as normal) do we still expect supermarkets to offer discounts?
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 am

Muz wrote:The list goes on, so why, especially when people are panicking and stripping shelves (despite pleas to shop as normal) do we still expect supermarkets to offer discounts?

In think this is a somewhat different situation to airlines and motels. Air travel and holiday accommodation tend to be discretionary purchases -- food is not.

There will be a lot of folk who'll already be on reduced incomes right now (having lost their jobs). For those people, specials are often a key part of their budgeting and making sure the family is fed.

New World is still running specials so why the hell can't Countdown? Greed?

It seems that Kiwis are being shafted in Australia (unless they're permanent residents or citizens) and now the Aussies are shafting Kiwis even here on our own shores!

I just hope that people remember this after all the crisis dies down. Perhaps karma will kick in then.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column