Once in a lifetime (12 Nov, 2020)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Where To Start?

Postby Necrotic Kingdom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Perry wrote:Where's your response to the facts of the kiwijilt 30,000 affordable homes which weren't?

Red herring fallacy. I never mentioned kiwibuilt and have no need to respond to that.
Perry wrote:A strawman purveyor

Who, me? Or will you claim you were addressing someone else? If you were adressing me then although its cute that you tried using logic words, a "strawman" actually refers to a fallacious argument that distorts an opposing stance in order to make it easier to attack, which is obviously not what I was doing.

Perry wrote:are you not?

Ah, you also haven’t studied "tag questions" yet, have you?

I just wondered why you had quoted me in your post, and as a teacher I thought you might be interested in finding out how you were sabotaging your posts. I like helping people who want to learn. But I also know that it is usually impossible to help people who don't want to learn, and since that appears to be the case with you I will leave it there.
Necrotic Kingdom

Re: Once in a lifetime (12 Nov, 2020)

Postby Perry » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:25 pm

Perry wrote:Where's your response to the facts of the kiwijilt 30,000 affordable homes which weren't?
Necrotic Kingdom wrote:Red herring fallacy. I never mentioned kiwibuilt and have no need to respond to that.
Not specifically, no.

However, did you not say:
Necrotic Kingdom wrote:Neither National-led or Labour-led governments have had the courage to tackle the elephant in the room that is NZ housing, and I don't see any hope of that changing in the foreseable[sic] future

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:If you were adressing[sic] me then although its cute that you tried using logic words, a "strawman" actually refers to a fallacious argument that distorts an opposing stance in order to make it easier to attack, which is obviously not what I was doing.
Obvious to whom?

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:Ah, you also haven’t studied "tag questions" yet, have you?
You're correct - no, I haven't.

Necrotic Kingdom wrote:. . . and as a teacher I thought you might be interested in finding out . . .
"Cute?" What do you teach? In my ignorance, I do seem to be able to spell better than you.

What we do agree on is the state of NZ housing. And a total ineptitude on the part of successive gummints to deal with the problem. (That includes 'dealing to' empire-building councils and the RMA.) Also, we seem to agree on the expression, "the poor" being largely a hung comparative, as you more or less imply.

NZ pollies - of all persuasions - are consummate fiddlers with symptoms. And totally incapable of dealing with the root causes of those symptoms.
Perry

Previous

Return to Today's column