Do your job, get an award? (26 Nov, 2021)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Do your job, get an award? (26 Nov, 2021)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:07 am

This column is archived at: https://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2021/1126.shtml

To be fair, many civil servants do work extraordinarily hard to deliver the services that the rest of us rely on and my hat goes off to those who fit this description.

However, to hand out a slew of rewards for simply doing the job you're employed (and paid) to perform seems a little ill-advised at a time when so many "regular Kiwis" are seeing their own businesses go down the toilet or finding themselves unemployed as a result of the CV19 situation.

Even the latest mandate which has seen a significant number of people lose their jobs as a result of their own personal choice with regards to vaccination must make it a bitter pill to swallow when some in the employ of government are allowed to keep their jobs despite having made the same no-vax decision.

Perhaps it's time that the PM and her cronies got some "real world" experience, instead of enjoying a cosseted life behind the protection of a taxpayer-funded salary and seemingly perpetual tenure.

This is a *very* bad look IMHO.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Do your job, get an award? (26 Nov, 2021)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:20 am

CAA were Finalists

:lol: :lol: BWAA HAA HAA HAA HAA! :lol: :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby namartinnz » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:06 am

Be careful you don't offend someone in govt if they read this, they might remind you in 5 years time about it...
namartinnz

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:13 am

namartinnz wrote:Be careful you don't offend someone in govt if they read this, they might remind you in 5 years time about it...

LOL... bring it on! :-D

Seriously, they must have far more important things to do than worry about my observations of the system in which they work.

And... only those with something to hide have anything to fear... which applies to both parties :-D
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:23 am

"Boss! Inflation is hovering around 5% - the cost of living jumped 2.2% in a single quarter! We're losing good staff to the private sector! We gotta give them some kind of pay-rise!"

It's 10 minutes later, and Jacinda's laughing fit has eased
"Perhaps we could offer our best and brightest a Giant Jaffa?"

"A lolly, Prime Minister?"

"Alright, how about some kind of 'prize'? "Spirit of Shuffling" or "Excellence in Spin" - sort out the details, and I'll nominate you for a nice award!"

Eyes shining with emotion, backing out of the Audience Chamber
"We'll get our best men on it, Ma'am!"
hagfish

Postby joeseph » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:49 am

hagfish wrote:"Boss! Inflation is hovering around 5% - the cost of living jumped 2.2% in a single quarter! We're losing good staff to the private sector! We gotta give them some kind of pay-rise!"

It's 10 minutes later, and Jacinda's laughing fit has eased
"Perhaps we could offer our best and brightest a Giant Jaffa?"

"A lolly, Prime Minister?"

"Alright, how about some kind of 'prize'? "Spirit of Shuffling" or "Excellence in Spin" - sort out the details, and I'll nominate you for a nice award!"

Eyes shining with emotion, backing out of the Audience Chamber
"We'll get our best men on it, Ma'am!"

sad, but likely true. Anyone who has watched "Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister" can see startling resemblences to how things in Wellington are being run.
joeseph

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Bruce wrote:However, the award for having a well-paid, taxpayer-funded, government-guaranteed job in the civil service is the one that we can be proud of... right?

Job? Job? You jest.

The word is inviolable sinecure. Hell! They'd have to kill someone to put that at risk.

And that's not to mention the silver-plated pension.
Perry

Postby roygbiv » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:43 am

"award" - public sector "bonus" - private sector. I will take the money thank you. But the word 'bonus' is being removed from most private/international orgs vocabularies.

Plus the advantage of public sector - awards and all is that your job is not going to get moved to India, China, Eastern Europe, where someone will be 10% as good as you and earn 20% of what you get paid.
roygbiv

Postby Perry » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 am

roygbiv wrote:"award" - public sector "bonus" - private sector. I will take the money thank you. But the word 'bonus' is being removed from most private/international orgs vocabularies.

I can see a modicum of relevance, but, in almost all cases, the people concerned work in a non-competitive environment.
I.e. Taxpayers have to go to them for whatever.
In the private sector, taxpayers have choices.

Private sector employees jobs depend on them providing a good customer service.
Public sector employees jobs do not depend on them providing a good customer service.
Public sector employees have a captive 'clientele.'

A few examples of staff bonuses paid recently.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126848 ... 10000-each
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indust ... ord-profit
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/106497 ... taff-bonus
Perry

Return to Today's column