Papers please, secrets please (9 Mar, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Papers please, secrets please (9 Mar, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0309.shtml

Is the USA using its "war against terror" as a carefully orchestrated cover for blatant commercial, industrial and scientific espionage?

Might "the ends justifies the means" mantra be allowing those conducting these activities to self-justify them?

Why else would the USA be demanding the passwords for devices and online presences from immigrants when they know full well that organised gangs of terrorists would have already committed their data to the cloud and would not self-incriminate by bringing this stuff across the border anyway?

Will the next "world war" be, not one between nations but a global uprising of the oppressed classes against the ruling classes and governments which seek to treat them like mushrooms and enemies?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Papers please, secrets please (9 Mar, 2017)

Postby phill » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:57 am

history never learnt from
treat the population like squeezable sponges
and they will eventually get pissed off enough to wipe out the leaders / kings / politicians .. or whatever the current flavour of ruler is called
so far its gone from cave man to cyber man .. how much longer till they learn
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 am

Another reason to avoid visiting the USofA, on principle if nothing else. Having to buy another cell phone just to tide you over adds to the expense and it would be another pain to have to create a Facebook identity just to keep the Man off your back. Could you wind up in Gitmo Bay for failing to reveal your actual Facebook/Twitter/Whatever accounts?
Talk about "Making America Grate Again"!!

Have you got a link to where you found out about this, Bruce?
STOP PRESS...here's a start
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ds/516315/
Last edited by Kiwiiano on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 am

I think the elites are approaching a kind of 'tragedy of the commons'-type situation with the rest of the populace.

Surely gutting the middle classes and sending their well-paying jobs overseas (or automating them) means there will be fewer customers for your products.

It may make short-term sense to transfer mental health provision from a publicly-funded heath system, to privately-profitable justice system, but it must be more expensive in the long run.

Getting rid of the superannuation scheme will not 'solve the problem' of large numbers of retirees, because one way or another, society sustains us all. Many people my be cold and malnourished, but few people in NZ die of exposure or starvation.

We live in a golden age of prosperity. There should be plenty for everyone, but power - like gravity - tends to accrete. Every few generations, there's a big stink, and a reset. I think the current police state is the result of the current elites' trying to hang on to the status quo, and keep the guillotines in the museums. They have to do just enough to keep us quiescent, but they do have to do just enough. A hungry man is an angry man.
hagfish

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 am

hagfish wrote:I think the elites are approaching a kind of 'tragedy of the commons'-type situation with the rest of the populace.

A hungry man is an angry man.

What was that quote? Something like "we are never more than 5 square meals away from anarchy!"
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Logan Savage » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 am

I highly recommend The Conversation's tuesday article How to protect your private data when you travel to the United States by Paul Ralph, Senior Lecturer in Computer Science, University of Auckland. He presents a simple solution for businesses. I see the herald reposted it yesterday.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I view this a bit differently....

So they upload your phone's contents to their database ? Hmmmm...... what a PERFECT way to attack their systems with a nice quiet virus embedded in your phone... Perhaps have some "interesting" pictures for the guys to copy.... I wonder if the idiots in USA have thought of that ? The bad guys certainly will have.

USA has been off my visit list for a while, as I really didn't fancy being anally probed, and I can't help but get annoyed at all the security theatre, for pretty much no purpose whatsoever, and that would make me a target. Yeah, I don't believe it really saves anybody, just wastes your time. REAL terrorists wouldn't be so stupid. There's ALWAYS cracks and holes to sneak in. And why the hell should they get my fingerprints or iris scans ? Screw 'em.

We should fight back by refusing entry of US citizens into NZ without extensive checks, anal probe, full nude body scan, and all their passwords. ESPECIALLY for the ambassadors and businessmen. Oh yeah, and a 5000 dollar entry fee. See how THEY like it.
par_annoyed

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:28 pm

hagfish wrote: <snip> They have to do just enough to keep us quiescent, but they have to do just enough. A hungry man is an angry man.

By that measure, I think they are failing......
par_annoyed

Postby hiscoca » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:12 pm

NZ border agencies (Customs and Immigration) have been requesting exactly the same rights, to be able to demand passwords and social media IDs, it's happening here too.
hiscoca

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Is a solution to fly to Canada and go across the USA border by car or train or whatever, from there? (Anything but air)
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column