Those who evolve by the sword... (10 Mar, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Those who evolve by the sword... (10 Mar, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:08 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0310.shtml

We can thank our aggressiveness for getting us (as a species) to where we are now - but will it ultimately be the death of us?

Is Stephen Hawking correct when he says that mankind's only chance of survival is to operate under a unified "world government"?

If that's the case, do you (like myself) think we are *doomed*!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Those who evolve by the sword... (10 Mar, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 am

If we cede control of our societies to all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful AI systems, there's a chance that we could carry on in a 'reduced' role. These Minds would treat us as children or maybe pets, but they would care for us fairly, with the robotic equivalent of kindness. Anyone who steps out of line will get a visit from Boston Dynamics' latest horror. Dawrinistic aggression does rather explain why we haven't heard from any other advanced societies. They develop nukes, and then *poof*
hagfish

Postby Stevesub » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 am

I love Darwin, even if mankind gets the ultimate Darwin award for wiping itself out which is not really a possibility but it may wipe out 90% of itself in due course, unless our robotic creatures that we made wipe us out before we do the job ourselves. Then there is always Idiocracy, love that movie.
Stevesub

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:34 am

Oh, you mean the FAKE Hawking ? [not that I beleive it totally, but the early and current pics of SH do look ENTIRELY different....], as shown here - http://www.thedailysheeple.com/stephen- ... -us_032017

I think there's many dystopian views of what a world govmint will do, and all that power is BOUND to corrupt in some way. AI is another wrinkle. I still think it's a toss up as to which of several future scenarios await mankind -

1. Virus kills everyone (or almost everyone)
2. Nuclear War kills everyone (or almost everyone)
3. Massive uprisings and civil wars kill everyone ......
4. The security machine develops into complete and total control, and kills whoever it likes, the rest treated as morons - with or without AI
5. Terminator - (less likely i reckon, but the whole debate about AI all over again)
6. Solar Flare or meteor (a big solar flare could kill EVERYTHING electrical in an instant ...)
7. Idiocracy and/or Brave New World.... maybe?

8. we actually sort our sh*t out. perhaps aliens visiting may get us all to realise that the petty squabbling isn't helping.....I quite like that idea, but also see..probably not
And I'm sure there's more - these are just what I can think of , and I'm not sure which of these are more likely

So yeah, we probably ARE doomed, but a world govmint isn't going to help one bit (except it might speed extinction up..).
par_annoyed

Postby roygbiv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 am

Stephen Hawking is offering 'a' solution to what he may see as some sort of problem. But, to be more accurate we must define what exactly the problem is, this is a little more chilling especially as this was defined by agent Smith in The Matrix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure. "

Possibly a nail head hitting moment, I believe that mankind has had the ability to annihilate itself and has done for the last 50-60 years but mother nature will have the final say in this. We somehow believe that mankind has sole control over our self determination, survival and continuation of our species. But, mother nature can perform a series of tectonic events, create natural disasters than can wipe us out within a generation. Or, introduce an airborn virus that will not mutate that has a gestation period of several weeks and a very high fatality rate. With reference to agent Smith, an irony where a virus can be wiped out by a virus.
roygbiv

Postby Logan Savage » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:09 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Is Stephen Hawking correct when he says that mankind's only chance of survival is to operate under a unified "world government"?
I'm sure we are all very grateful for Stephen Hawking's contributions to theoretical physics, such as when he admitted he had been completely wrong in opposing Jacob Bekenstein's idea that black holes could have entropy. But I get a bit skeptical when he is trotted out to make pronouncements on everything from AI to Alien hostility or even Brexit. It seems exactly the kind of argumentum ad verecundiam (argument from authority) that he derided in others when he said There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Has Hawking become his own religion?
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

Both par_annoyed and roygbiv missed the blindingly obvious, in-yer-face-don't-blink reason for our self-emoliation. Our unrelenting release of greenhouse gases. The evidence of abnormal methane clathrate sublimation is already coming in from Siberia and Canada (they have been having 15°C above normal heatwaves up there) but if temperatures continue to climb we are at risk of a runaway release of methane, a greenhouse gas 25x stronger than CO2.

That would be bad enough by itself to collapse civilization, but there could be worse. Back in the Permian times (even before Bruce was born) there was a massive flood basalt eruption in Siberia causing the End-Permian Extinction event that saw 50-90% of species wiped out. The real knock-out (that took out 90% of marine species) was that the oceans got so warm the oxygen levels dropped to the point anaerobic bacteria could thrive and they produced prodigious amounts of toxic hydrogen sulphide.

THAT could take out even the few human refugees struggling to survive in Greenland or Antarctica.

See:[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event[/url]
Last edited by Kiwiiano on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Logan Savage » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 am

roygbiv wrote:to be more accurate we must define what exactly the problem is, this is a little more chilling especially as this was defined by agent Smith in The Matrix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Big ups for a Matrix quote :D I define the problem this way:

Assuming the Earth's Diameter is about 7926 miles means that its area is approximately 197 million square miles. But since the surface is about 2/3 water there is only roughly 36.48 billion acres of land. Apparently only about 7.5 billion of those acres are farmable. In 2006, there were 1.15 acres of arable land per person. But predictions are that by 2039 it will be more like 0.59 acres per person. Throw into the calculation that thanks mostly to our greed and stupidity we losing an estimated 24.7 million acres of arable land a year. At that rate there will be ZERO arable land in about 300 years.

Forget aggression and nuclear weapons, our stupidity has already signed our death warrant.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby phill » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm

i agree with him and have done for a long time
we need top cover to run safety on local war lords ... Mugabe / Kim Fat UN / Trump / Putin etc
the UN is the basis and start of that world govt .. it just requires the teeth it was always envisioned to have ( by those not controlling it )
the corruption that is going to create / keep going with / escalate .. is just something we have to deal with

roygbiv I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment,

ahhh humans, rats n cockroaches
phill

Postby Stevesub » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Rats n cockroaches, the survivors
Stevesub

Next

Return to Today's column