Power, cash, drugs and gold (14 Mar, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Power, cash, drugs and gold (14 Mar, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:35 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0314.shtml

Those are the interesting things I picked from the news wires today. What do you think?

Did you spot anything on the wires worthy of comment?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Power, cash, drugs and gold (14 Mar, 2017)

Postby Perry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:13 am

I seem to recall way-back-when, that certain devices (e.g. three phase motors) had to have a power factor corrector box included as part of their control board set-up. Probably filled with PCB. <sigh>

Replaced by electronics?

Perhaps a bit like modern fluro fittings - no starters needed, now.
Perry

Postby phill » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 am

my new oldish ( pre tested ) washing machine has the same huge capacitor as its predecessor
like most things it carries its own pf correction .. the problem is if / when the cap stuffs out the unit still works as normal .. with possibly a slight wheeze when it starts a high load cycle ( CIVIL )

as for the drugs .. yup i have been waiting for the results of the tests the police have been doing ... not yet available .. those figures were from a study by massey uni in 2014 and do not show the total amount used

... which the study by the police in perth did
... not sure they will release the results if it shows the same sort of thing
ie
in perth the estimates are 2 TONNES of meth used per WEEK
which proves to any but the deepest buried heads that the war on drugs is failing on an epic scale
the amounts seized by the police dont even make the same city let along ballpark as the amounts used

the study the nz police are doing is to show primarily just how much is used in aucks
so any report that comes out deficient in actual quantities has been 'redacted 'on a landmark scale
to avoid showing the degree of their ineptitude in this area
... and the pointlessness of throwing more money at the problem with the methods in use
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... ee2d057764 .... from memory nz has higher meth use than aussie
phill

Postby Screw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm

The E x I only works for pure DC. For AC one needs a much more calculation. What is often referred to a Kilowatts in AC is actually KVA (KiloVoltAmps).

The drug comment doesn't surprise me at all. Meth is about as available as tar on a road on most cities.

I want some of those GOLD balls!!
Screw

Postby granada29 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:33 pm

I think the issue with power meters is not so much power factor, but the harmonic content of the wave form. Depending on the measurement device used by the meter, high harmonic content may generate spurious results.

I note that NZ retail power suppliers have rushed to assert that their meters are not susceptible to this fault but I wonder if the government should be commissioning independent testing to verify these claims. I know - more red tape etc etc - but someone needs to be keeping the buggers honest in what is a monopoly industry. How well did the coal industry do in policing their safety standards without independent oversight?
granada29

Return to Today's column