What ever happened to? (16 Mar, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

What ever happened to? (16 Mar, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0316.shtml

The time has never been better to dethrone TradeMe as NZ's leading online auction and trading site -- so why has every attempt to date failed so badly?

Where are all those contenders now?

They're either in stasis, limping along or have simply vanished from the face of the web.

Surely, given enough capital and some "killer features", it must be possible to topple TM's dominance?

If someone like me can come up with what I believe are the necessary smart features, why can't those with access to capital do the same?

Or is it just a case of being "too hard"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: What ever happened to? (16 Mar, 2017)

Postby Logan Savage » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:25 am

aardvark_admin wrote:If someone like me can come up with what I believe are the necessary smart features, why can't those with access to capital do the same?
[emphasis added] To be fair, the other sites probably believed they had what was needed as well. But it turned out their beliefs didn't match reality. A lesson in humility for us all? ;)
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby greven » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:28 am

TradeMe will be dethroned by Facebook. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing
greven

Postby hagfish » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 am

Coming up with a billion-dollar idea is quite tricky.

Coming up with a billion-dollar idea that involves dethroning a massive incumbent is even harder.

When your idea is also reliant on the 'network effect' to be useful, history shows us this is quite difficult, indeed.

Maybe EBay could do it, or Amazon (since TradeMe sells so many new goods these days) but we've seen what happens to the smart, nimble upstarts.
hagfish

Postby Stevesub » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am

We never even look at Trademe now. If I want some stuff from Trademe, I can usually what I want from eBay much much cheaper but with longer delivery times. If I want to sell something, I use Facebook and that has been very successful for me with no commissions to be paid. I use Facebook to target a specific area, like where I live, you can change the price easily, haggle easily, put stuff up for free etc. Earlier in the year I listed a leaking tent with a small rip for free on FB, within 20 mins of it being listed it was gone. I sold a boat on FB, took 3 days to go, etc.

Would I buy stuff on FB, well a lot of what is going for sale that I could be interested in in my area (the far north) is of dubious parentage so as far as I am concerned, I have not bought on FB but there may be something that catches my eye that I may buy. Most of what I buy is new anyway,

eBay, Alibaba, Dealextreme and the other cheap Chinese sites have not made mainstream in NZ and probably never will. Gumtree has closed down even though it is very big in OZ. Amazon will wake the market up if it ever comes here for new stuff but I suspect the FB will be the Trademe killer in the long term.
Stevesub

Postby goosemoose » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

I believe FB is what they all use these days but since I'm not on it I can't buy or sell anything. My first port of call is AliExpress. I must admit I haven't looked at TMe for quite a while now. I wonder how long before TMe begin cosying up with some of those bricks and mortar types to make sure we're all paying GST on overseas purchases. That'll be a sign.
goosemoose

Postby ukoda » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 am

There are only two possibilities, Facebook and eBay. I hope it is not Facebook, that site does way too much beyond its core origin and that annoys me for some reason. On the other hand I'm pretty neutral about eBay. I recon if they could sort out international shipping properly then they could simply swamp Trade Me by having a market so much bigger than Trade Me that they could steal a lot of Trade Me's business.
ukoda

Postby phill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:45 am

for large stuff i dont mind pre tested i still use tm
for new small or high tec stuff its aliexpress

im in the process of building the lala computer a few have thought of doing
buy the basic box of mb ram and i5 as ex lease desktop on tm
buy the water cooling, perspex case, power supply and graphics card from aliexpress
phill

Postby phord » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I used to like the user interface of Tradme.
It was very clear & simple to use.

But they now use this "Responsive Website" crap.
You have to hover the mouse over every listing photo to view just 2 more lines of detail, which should be showing all the time.
Then the details for the listing disappear with a "lovely animation movement" when you move the mouse elsewhere.
Grinds my gears!

It's to much like hard work to browse their listings now.
phord

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:30 pm

The newest on the block is 4tradeit.
Couldn't re-size the image - sorry. The php image sizing option didn't work.

Perry

Next

Return to Today's column