Kim Jong-Boom? (6 Apr, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Kim Jong-Boom? (6 Apr, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:37 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0406.shtml

Exactly what will happen next in the stand-off between North Korea and the USA?

Will Trump use N.Korea as a convenient "enemy" if things get too tough for him on the domestic front?

Will Kim decide to attack the USA or S.Korea with nukes if he feels that the USA are planning to attack him?

Or will the USA use a surgical strike to simply eliminate Kim and try to install their own man -- as they have done so many times in the past when meddling in the domestic politics of other nations. If so, should they be held to account for what constitutes an act of war?

Could it be that the USA would be doing the whole world a favour by defusing the nuclear time-bomb that is Kim Jong-un and N.Korea?

What's your pick on the timeline to the first bomb being dropped?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Kim Jong-Boom? (6 Apr, 2017)

Postby Logan Savage » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:35 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Wars are great things for incumbent leaders. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a mantra that kicks in at such times and if Trump were to take the USA into war with North Korea then virtually all of the internal politics would vanish, as people focused on the common enemy and its elimination.
Meh, it can also polarise a population into for & against, like the anti-Vietnam movement Kennedy and Johnson faced. It kind of worked for Nixon, but the way it worked sort of undermines your argument because he only prolonged the war so he could get elected on the platform of opposing the war.

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
Maxim 29, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Last edited by Logan Savage on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby hagfish » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:39 am

To my mind, North Korea's greatest deterrent isn't it's nuclear weapons, it's the 25 million starving, brain-washed people. China is going to kick that can as far down the road as possible - they don't want an influx of millions of desperate, uneducated North Koreans. China will carry on throwing rice and Cognac at the problem as long as possible.

The USA doesn't have any skin in the game, but its economy is dependent on feeding the military beast. Every $3 million bomb helps their GDP, provides jobs, and transfers money from the public purse to the private elites. It's a long time since they've had an adversary with access to more than granddad's AK-47.
hagfish

Postby JonL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:27 am

Hey....the US ( and it's allies) killed an estimated 5,000,000 North Koreans in their last war there
..maybe the North Koreans have a reason to be a little antsy about the US trying to tell it what to do.
Whatever...reason won't play any part in what goes down between them...and expect China to be dragged in whether it wants to be or not...then that probably means Russia and her arsenal and for everyone it's game over.....
JonL

Postby Logan Savage » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 am

JonL wrote:Hey....the US ( and it's allies) killed an estimated 5,000,000 North Koreans in their last war there
Whose estimate is that? It seems a lot higher than other estimates I have seen. Rummel estimated 2.5 million war casualties for both sides, and perhaps another 1.5 mil in the repression and democide under Kim Il-sung.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby Screw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Kimmie hasn't got a missile capable of hitting the USA yet. Any conflict between the US and N. Korea would involve China as NK borders China. Kimmie has every right to be paranoid but.

Yup, war is good for the US economy as they can't outsource weapon making to China! Plenty of work for those in that industry.
Screw

Postby ✯Ново-Зеландия✯ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Screw wrote:Kimmie hasn't got a missile capable of hitting the USA yet. Any conflict between the US and N. Korea would involve China as NK borders China. Kimmie has every right to be paranoid but.

Yup, war is good for the US economy as they can't outsource weapon making to China! Plenty of work for those in that industry.

Good Morning Comrade Engineer!

As you will be aware, The Peoples Republic of North Korea has launched multiple satellites into orbit. Unlike your small island nation of sheep.
Your track record, is, nol, 0, nada, zip .. don't comment bro comrade?

As you are now aware. North Korea bought many SSLM and their underwater boats from former CCCP.

I would expect North Korea, to defend her territorial sovereignty, under the guidelines of International Law - after all, Americans involved in illegal sanctions, and having invasion games all around North Korea.
Besides, touch North Korea, and you are instantly fighting China, and Russia by default.

Best of luck with that.

Remember, All of your bases are belong to us!

Remember, it is you who is socially conditioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBs8ccGwbz8
✯Ново-Зеландия✯

Postby phill » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:57 pm

ohh ya just knew that empty drum was going to go a abangin
phill

Postby roygbiv » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm

hagfish wrote:To my mind, North Korea's greatest deterrent isn't it's nuclear weapons, it's the 25 million starving, brain-washed people. China is going to kick that can as far down the road as possible - they don't want an influx of millions of desperate, uneducated North Koreans. China will carry on throwing rice and Cognac at the problem as long as possible.

Quite right, the other major variable in the US-NK equation is China, it will be interesting how much damage Trump can inflict on US-China relations. I suspect that the republican party et al are just feeding POTUS Mr. T. rope. He and Kim Jong-il are just rattling sabres and this is why :

Kim Jong-il is not that stupid, he knows that he has little or no (legal) influence outside his own country's borders

"Kim almost certainly believes his own rhetoric when he threatens the USA and other nations, including South Korea, with nuclear attack. He has never experienced losing or suffering the consequences of his actions and thus believes that he can do whatever the hell he wants, without penalty. That's a very dangerous perspective."

This is utter tosh, NK is considered a pariah nation, he knows it as all the world leaders do. He will get no support from anyone not even the Chinese if they actually carry out any threats to neighbouring countries. But, any neighbouring country on the receiving end will get a (near) total support of all the nations.
Mr. T is a president and not a dictator, there are checks and balances in US government to prevent him from unilaterally pushing the nuclear BRB. He can say what he likes and appears to all the time but I think he is learning that sitting in the hot seat things are not black and white only. And he is beginning to understand that he knows NOTHING of foreign policy.

What I find curious is what if these two leaders took IQ test, who would have the lowest, and how much would be the difference :roll:
roygbiv

Postby greven » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Logan Savage wrote:
"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
Maxim 29, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Kim is a big fan of Maxim 28
greven

Next

Return to Today's column