Crowdfunding the media (13 Apr, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Crowdfunding the media (13 Apr, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0413.shtml

Do you support any online content by way of a regular stipend through services such as Patreon or PressPatron?

Is this crowd-funded support likely to be a transient thing?

Will people get as turned off by a Net lined with begging bowls as it has been by one lined with ads?

Would a universal subscription such as the one I describe be the only logical future for online content?

Think of it as the Netflix of everything :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Crowdfunding the media (13 Apr, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 am

Ah, a universal subscription. Would have to be mandated by something/somebody. Yes, I know a small organisation supposedly beholden to no one that does the vetting and collecting. Of course this organisation will need CEO's, CFO's marketing and IT people along with the usual hangers on. If thats not bad enough imagine if government got involved. Of course they'll need to be paid, expensively of course as thats how, we're told, you get the best people. Then all these best people will have to decide where the money goes, through a great big process of validation of content creators and picking their favourites. Of course these people will need to go to international conferences of like minds to study "disruption" etc. Then may after a while they could say that accredited organisations will only get paid, of course accredited organisations will have a minimum of 50 staff, 5 of them journalists. Maybe they could, just maybe, allow the little guy at a later stage, of course you'll have to register and keep up your registration, $1000 per annum should be enough to cover it. This Year.

Until:

"To enable our valued customers to obtain access to the webs best and most informative content us here at Robber ISP unfortunately have to raise our monthly content subscription fee to $19.95"

Most of that going to, due to some extensive consultation, Facebook or Google.

Yep, sounds like the way to go.
goosemoose

Postby JonL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:25 am

I pay a couple of bloggers $1 a month through patreon. People who produce content thats worth reading. Dmitri Orlov is one....I see he now has 700 "patrons" after a month or so and steadily rising...... I've checked and see I now pay about $400/yr for various websites/news sites/hobby sites ......who said the web was free.......
JonL

Postby Perry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Bruce wrote:cash your monthly cheque

They what? Is a cheque related to a Pole or a Yugoslav? :lol:
Perry

Postby hagfish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Blendle is getting closer. Something like that should go well - for a while. Platforms like this seem to start strongly, and garner hundreds of publishers and wide acceptance - for about a year. Then the contributors start to get antsy/greedy, and start setting up their own content aggregators, and we see a gradual balkanization, of a once-convenient system. Steam and Netflix now have lots of competitors sprouting up offering games and telly. I'd go for 'one sub to rule them all', but won't be scurrying around wondering what content is where.
hagfish

Postby greven » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm

There are 2 key requirements for any patronage system to achieve success:
1. Simple & convenient
2. Non-exclusive

Do you think this will happen if ISPs get involved?
greven

Postby RoddyAxn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 am

This phpBB here needs a thumb up button on comments

the guy who pays $400 patrion, and the like, would have got my vote for approbation

so what come first " the thumb up button" or patrion $1 per month
RoddyAxn

Return to Today's column