Please, stop fixing stuff!! (18 Apr, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Please, stop fixing stuff!! (18 Apr, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0418.shtml

Everyone's doing it... fixing stuff that isn't broken and, in the process, making users' lives a whole lot worse.

If it's not Google farting around with YouTube or (so I hear) Facebook screwing with people's favourite social media network, then it's Lotto rooting their website and app.

Do you use Lotto?

Is the latest update a fantastic demonstration of the dangers of poor redesign, insufficient testing and the resulting customer outrage?

Perhaps the only upside to this is that fewer people will waste their money on this "tax on the mathematically challenged".
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Please, stop fixing stuff!! (18 Apr, 2017)

Postby RoddyAxn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 am

lotto and youth gangs

link is there

old days that five to ten dollars was earned by odd jobs by youth getting to know the old folk in the community and then eating pie and lemonade for hours afterwards

lotto came in and the door was slammed on youth

so youth crime took up root

so lets get ride of all R18 gambling in new zealand except for horse racing

i like the hats on race day

other than that lets get youth reengaged with learning the skills of the old retired folk
RoddyAxn

Postby goosemoose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 am

Yes thats a pet peeve of mine. I use a real old Android tablet, maybe 4 or 5 years old, for just browsing the net and a couple of other things. I don't use many apps but every now and again one will stop working until I either upgrade it or get rid of it because it no longer works. Why can't they just leave things alone. Freeview is a particular culprit.

Maybe get a lotto ticket once every couple or so years. $20 can get you a pile more fun off aliexpress.com or some such website!!!
goosemoose

Postby hiscoca » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am

Lotto AKA The Stupid Tax. = A tax on peoples stupidity

It was also amusing to not the revamp was akin to the old trick of decreasing the candy bar volume and leaving the price alone (a price rise by stealth)
hiscoca

Postby phill » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

in general i agree with you
but in this case ( the lotto site ) i dont
it is the reverse ... it is fixing stuff that was truly puked and had been for 7 years plus .. ie since the previous major upgrade when they went to a huge flash driven site that took 5 mins plus to change pages on dialup

i have just opened it to see what changes had been made .. and i for one liked it .. a lot .. it did what i wanted it to do without constant intrusive pushing me to do more as it used to ( try to ) do
it did it fast and it did it in the order i wanted it to and without the flowery flashy gash it used to splash everywhere

there were other changes lotto made which had stopped me buying any tickets for the past 3 months odd
like you i bought when the jackpot was healthy

regretfully any objection to changes is fobbed off as people not liking change and thats the end of it .. legitimate / justified or not it is the answer to all critiques
it is the marketing departments magiver tool

if you want a depressing look at changing the unbroken look at kodi 17.1
phill

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I think the app and website had to be updated to support the changes to the prize pools and pricing. Unfortunately it is obvious that the developers didn't meet the deadline and were forced to put it out in the state it was in.
I am similar to most here in that I will occasionally by a ticket when the jackpot hits the big numbers. I think most of the country is the same. I recall reading last year that ticket sales ramp up at $10million and then again at $15 million. The people in charge were looking at either getting people to come in at the lower sizes or accelerate how quickly the jackpot rose.
Malcolm

Postby paulw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Buy a Lotto ticket once in a while .. "and in the not too distance future, those 2G digital phones will also be switched off." Yep already happening. AT&T US turned off their GSM network Dec 2016 along with Telstra AU, Optus AU in March 2017 and Vodafone AU say sometime 2017. Only Vodafone and 2D run GSM here in NZ as Telecom / Spark went from CDMA to WCDMA. Voda NZ needs to keep the 2G portion of their GSM network running for a few years yet as it's used for smart power meters to phone home on.
paulw

Postby Screw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 pm

It wouldn't matter if the odds were billions to one people will still buy into it because of the dream of getting out of the continual drudgery they are forced to live in.

Automation is the biggest killer of good jobs, less peeps are needed to do the same job. We still need some shop assistants/office cleaners/supermarket workers and waiting staff. All are low paid drudgery work. Good to see the big pay jump for Aged Care Workers.
Screw

Postby Perry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm

The state of bLotto is a sad reflection on the state of NZ's society.

But the stupidity doesn't stop there. Just as United Airline's CEO described their recent disaster as re-accommodating a passenger, so the bLotto mouthpiece of miniscule mental measure said:
Customer feedback on the app is really valuable as we look to continually improve the services and functionality we offer our players.

:o
Choke, cough, gasp, wheeze . . .
Perry

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 am

Bruce you've hit a real sore spot with me. MyLotto, my bloody bank website and a couple of other sites I use daily have been changed - all for the worse. Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :x
Greg

Next

Return to Today's column