Paranoid Britannia (8 May, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Paranoid Britannia (8 May, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0508.shtml

What the hell is wrong with the UK (and US) government(s)?

The proposed new laws being discussed in Britain at the moment would effectively kill ecommerce by banning end-to-end encryption and would also be the cyber-equivalent of outlawing whispering.

Surely the public have to wake up at some point and say "enough!" -- or have the governments of the world been successfully engaged in a desensitisation campaign that has, by way of progressive (thin end of the wedge) strategies, created an environment where people accept almost any diktat that's handed down to them, on the basis that "well it's not that much worse than before"?

And why on earth are the citizens of the UK paying cloth-heads like Amber Rudd a single solitary cent? Clearly she is so far out of touch with reality that she ought to be locked up in the interests of public safety!

How long before we face similar idiotic proposals here in New Zealand? Anyone remember Trevor Rogers? LOL... I guess we have always been world-leaders eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Paranoid Britannia (8 May, 2017)

Postby par_annoyed » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 am

Well it's either paranoia, stupidity, or a much darker clever sinister plot to control every single person in the world and track their every move. Or a combination thereof. You decide.....

No encryption (or backdoor) is a govmint wet dream, but I don't think it will happen as those large companies have real power and influence, and no way will the banking establishment compromise their security. (No not the everyday moron's bank accounts, but the privileged ones....)

We are already well on the way to 1984 dystopia, and much of what I read about stuff like this makes me glad I left UK, and I have no intention of ever visiting the Evil Empire to be anally probed...

Although at the rate things are going Oz isn't far behind either, and inevitably NZ will be dragged along....

I'm not convinced 'the people' will ever stand up, they are all too busy watching cute cat videos and reality TV instead of using their brains, and after all "it's all for your protection and security" so that's just fine. Yeah. Right. Where's my tinfoil hat gone ? it was around here somewhere.....
par_annoyed

Postby hagfish » Mon May 08, 2017 9:11 am

Yeah, but I can walk into any room, and say, 'hey Alexa/Siri/Cortana/Bixby/Google - play me a Justin Bieber song', and away it goes!

Between our consoles, phones, TVs, laptops and connected toasters, our houses are already festooned with cameras and microphones. Much easier and cheaper than maintaining a network of informants.
hagfish

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon May 08, 2017 9:13 am

hagfish wrote:Yeah, but I can walk into any room, and say, 'hey Alexa/Siri/Cortana/Bixby/Google - play me a Justin Bieber song', and away it goes!

Arrest this man for a gross breach of public taste! He who worships at the temple of Bieber shall not be allowed into the Kingdom of Godzone! :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

While you're getting paranoid about the theft of our privacy, here's something else to get paranoid about - the theft of democracy:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -democracy
Hiro Protagonist

Postby Logan Savage » Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Surely the public have to wake up at some point and say "enough!"
or "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." But sadly its not always that simple. At school I despised Shakespeare, but as I've got more mature I've come to appreciate his wisdom and keen insights into human nature.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
the heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks
that Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream; aye, there's the rub,
for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
must give us pause. There's the respect
that makes Calamity of so long life:
For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,
the Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely,
the pangs of despised Love, the Law’s delay,
the insolence of Office, and the spurns
that patient merit of the unworthy takes,
when he himself might his Quietus make
with a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear,
to grunt and sweat under a weary life,
but that the dread of something after death,
the undiscovered country, from whose bourn
no traveller returns, puzzles the will,
and makes us rather bear those ills we have,
than fly to others that we know not of.
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
and thus the native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment,
with this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of Action.

Its not so much the undiscovered country that worries me as the fact I have children to support. But once they are self supporting then I'll really have nothing left to lose. Although I think I'd prefer Jefferson's option over a bare bodkin.
"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy"
(David C. Korten, When Corporations Rule the World)
Logan Savage

Postby phill » Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am

seems a bit of a mission to me
legislating internet providers to break and maintain breaking within 24 hours for all encryptions ( when most now would require a tame quantum computer to break at any speed )
could be a taller order than it sounds when read at pace
is this the new way for pollies to solve problems they dont know anything about
just give it to someone else and threaten them with legal action if they dont do it
like demanding coca cola supply and maintain 3 dispensing machines on alpha centauri within 12 months or they will be charged with willfully prejudicing government security and aiding possible terrorism
it sounds ok when read at speed .. but the practicalities can be lost in the background

and they have been relatively successful in their nothing to hide brainwashing ( read wildly beyond their most optimistic dreams )

when asked why they wont complain about more intrusion onto their lives
most just smile ... nod and repeat
" i have no worries ... i have nothing to hide "

its no longer an erosion of privacy and personal freedoms its a goddam avalanche
who gains from this
those that fear the collapse of their world of privilege when unemployment and poverty hit at large degrees ?
Last edited by phill on Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
phill

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 am

In a semi related article that popped up on Slashdot today. A profile on Richard Stallman in Psychology Today:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/article ... erers-code
By using proprietary software, Stallman believes, we are forfeiting control of our computers, and thus of our digital lives. In his denunciation of all nonfree software as inherently abusive and unethical, he has alienated many possible allies and followers. But he is not here to make friends. He is here to save us from a software industry he considers predatory in ways we've yet to recognize... for Stallman, moralism is the whole point. If you write or use free software only for practical reasons, you'll stop when it's inconvenient, and freedom will disappear.

“But the idea of copyleft and the proposition that social and political freedom can’t happen in a society without technological freedom—those are his long-term meanings. And humanity will be aware of those meanings for centuries, whatever it does about them.”
Malcolm

Postby JonL » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 am

Why do so many people stand by..........Millgram Experiment!
JonL

Postby Perry » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Hiro Protagonist wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

Bejabbers - that was scary reading.

Certainly endorses Logan's tag line:
Logan wrote:"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy."
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column