How stupid are people? (12 May, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

How stupid are people? (12 May, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:18 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0512.shtml

Who else remembers when Australia and NZ were almost a single country and there was no need for passports or even drivers licenses to be presented at the airport when crossing the Tassie?

How crap is it that now Kiwis have few privileges over other immigrants if they move to Aussie -- whilst Aussies are treated just like one of the locals if they move to GodZone?

Are Australian politicians inbreeding too much or something? Why are they becoming so stupid?

And isn't the fact that they are allowing commercial prejudice and hysteria to possibly ruin their world-class drone regulatory framework further proof that too many brothers and sisters are sleeping together in the Senate?

Or am I too harsh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: How stupid are people? (12 May, 2017)

Postby Screw » Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 am

Never underestimate the stupidity of people when they cluster together in groups.

Ockers tend to be racist and don't regard Maori/PI as genuine Kiwis.
Screw

Postby Malcolm » Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 am

Screw wrote:Never underestimate the stupidity of people when they cluster together in groups.

Ockers tend to be racist and don't regard Maori/PI as genuine Kiwis.

There was an article a few days back about this. A former Australian immigration minister said that the core reason for the Aussie crackdown on NZers living there is simple racism. Basically they thought New Zealander meant white NZ born person. Whereas the reality is it includes a large number of Maori and Polynesian people. This makes a fair number of them uneasy hence the recent crackdowns.
Malcolm

Postby hiscoca » Fri May 12, 2017 10:37 am

this may interest you in relation to UAV safety,
http://fortune.com/2017/04/29/drone-faa ... ash-study/
hiscoca

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 am

hiscoca wrote:this may interest you in relation to UAV safety,
http://fortune.com/2017/04/29/drone-faa ... ash-study/

Yes, I saw that (linked to the actual report in my last VLog on XJet).

More proof that our present regulations are based on hysteria and lobbying by the manned-aviation sector afraid for their commercial future, rather than good, solid information and fact.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

Actually, it's as bad here in the South Waikato. I spoke with a councilor yesterday and asked whether he'd be supporting allowing residents to fly their drones in a couple of nominated parks in Tokoroa. He said no -- it was too risky. I pointed out that *I* had been flying in those parks for a couple of weeks and there were *no* complaints from people scared for their safety or privacy.

He said "but you're a skilled pilot".

I then pointed out that according to my OIA requests to Rotorua and Tauranga councils (who let their residents fly drones in nominated parks), they had received no complaints at all in the 18 months that their policies had been in place.

He replied "but this is Tokoroa".

I asked him why he felt that residents of Tokoroa were not as trustworthy or responsible as people of Rotorua and Tauranga.

"Oh no, I'm not saying that" he replied.

"Obviously you are" I responded.

I also pointed out that nobody had ever been killed or seriously injured by a drone so what was the problem?

"Privacy" he responded.

"It's not the SWDC's job to act as the privacy commissioner" I replied. "We have central government to deal with that". I also reminded him again that neither Rotorua nor Tauranga councils had received any complaints in respect to privacy issues involving drone flying.

I also reminded him that from a safety perspective, drones were a big fat ZERO, whilst last year alone, over 13,000 people in NZ suffered from dog-bites and yet we allow people to walk their dogs in the parks where I suggest that drones be allowed to be flown.

"Why do we allow such a proven dangerous activity to take place whilst denying one that evidence has proven is entirely safe?" I asked.

"Ah, but the dogs are on leads" he responded.

"No they aren't" was my answer. "During the several weeks I've been filming in these parks, virtually every dog I saw was running freely without a lead"

"Oh, but that's on the far-side of Moananui" was the reply.

"And that's where I have suggested people be allowed to fly their drones" -- so what is the problem.

In the end he admitted that there was no sound, reasonable justification for denying people the use of the parks and reserves they pay for with their rates -- but it's clear that he's still going to vote against allowing such activities.

This is the level of incompetence and stupidity we have to deal with. I know that a number of people have approached this councilor with requests that he supports the flying of drones in parks but I doubt anyone has approached him asking that they be banned. A representative democracy? I don't think so.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Screw » Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm

That's called a mind-set Bruce and we all have 'em. Not always in the best interests of others but.
Screw

Postby Weasel » Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 am

Begs the question as to why commonwealth countries aren't more open to each other, we all have the same head of state. But rather than say have a few nice well mannered Canadians relocate to NZ the taps are open to the wealthy Chinese and Silicon valley rich kids.

Once you escape NZ you realize how locked in you are to the place. I did the usual OE to the UK because that was the done thing, it was ok, but overrated. I later got a working holiday visa for Canada, and that was a heck of a lot better place for a Kiwi to go and explore, I call it the undiscovered country, its vast, polite, a hint of British and all the good things from the US over the fence.
Weasel

Postby ✯Ново-Зеландия✯ » Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 pm

From Australians point of view.

Australia:

Dear NZ,
Please stop letting in so many brown people from Asia, Africa, India and the Pacific Islands, or we will be forced to be cruel to NZ.

NZ:

You are racist, intolerant, sexist, and don't like brown people ... ya ya ya ya puke.

Australia:

Right, Kiwis, fuck off. We don't want you here. Go away. Take all these people we don't want with you.

NZ:

Waaaaah Waaaah.

Did I miss anything? Time for NZ grow up, and stop taking too many Asians or Browns. Do you want to be a prosperous white country, or a third world shit hole?
Look at crime in Auckland, Your prison population? Your dumbed down education system to cater for those with lower browner IQs?

Your Choice.

Australia chose. You can't blame them.
✯Ново-Зеландия✯

Postby phill » Sun May 14, 2017 4:25 pm

✯Ново-Зеландия✯ wrote:
Did I miss anything?

yup heaps ( but i guess your used to that )
to much to even bother going into
as a start look at the demographics in sydney ( melb as well if you want )
phill

Next

Return to Today's column