Google... when will they learn? (3 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Google... when will they learn? (3 Jul, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0703.shtml

Google obviously learned nothing from the fiasco and outrage that resulted from their forced merger of YouTube and Google+ because once again they are forcing unwanted change on their users in a way that breaks almost all the functionality that made Google News so useful.

What are these guys smoking?

How can they be so arrogant and show so much contempt for the opinions of their users?

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Google... when will they learn? (3 Jul, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:07 am

This is just web developers implementing disruption, new shiny and cool. Nothing is ever finished especially a web page. Webpages constantly have to disrupted, changed, enhanced and styled for whatever is the new web coolness. And good thing I say, keeps these clowns off the real enterprise streets. Imagine setting this sort of deluded developer loose on big systems where they could express themselves with whatever the latest fad is.

Don't worry it'll be restyled back to something resembling the last version when they get bored with the current one.
goosemoose

Postby granada29 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:16 am

They feel free to do this because you are not the 'user' - you are the 'product'. TISNSTAFL
granada29

Postby Screw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Purely a business decision! Merging the two reduces their overheads in accordance with modern business practices.
Screw

Postby hiscoca » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Lets see um argh who owns it, oh yeah they do, guess they can do what they like with it.
hiscoca

Postby Muz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm

They are all at it. There are three websites that I use regularly that have suddenly gone through a total redesign. It's always difficult adjusting but eventually you do, however NZHerald has lost one pair of eyeballs for the time being. Totally and utterly unusable.

Some bright spark has decided that every news item (and I use the term "news" lightly) that has a video must have that video run automatically. I've tried to turn it off without success. Using my phone, the video starts over the top of the story. Hit the cancel button and sometimes it stops the vid, sometimes it just throws me out altogether. Serious lag on loading pages so if I select one item, I often get another instead....and the one that really pisses me off.....half way through an item and suddenly another item suddenly loads on top and the whole sorry saga starts all over.

Not much better on my PC, so I know it's not my phone.

It seems to be same story everywhere. Redesign and then chuck it out in the public domain so they can test it for you. Don't worry about losing customers, they all have short memories and will eventually come back. Plenty more where they came from anyway ....
Muz

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes, the NZH redesign is a disaster. On a PC you get the same story/graphic appearing many times in different places on the front page but I don't notice the auto-play vids because I've disabled autoplay in FireFox. The Stuff website and its (sometimes 3 or 4 on a single page) autoplay videos drove me to disable that function.

I have a feeling that they want to be able to sell video ads (which cost more) to advertisers by claiming xxxxx videos viewed this month -- when in reality, 95% of people have been trying to *stop* the damned things from playing and never watched a single second of them.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby goosemoose » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:52 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:...when in reality, 95% of people have been trying to *stop* the damned things from playing and never watched a single second of them.

Ghostery. uBlock Origin. :)
Ghostery even have browser, I use it on my Android. No autoplay anything.
goosemoose

Postby gbilski » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:58 pm

On the NZ Herald site, that sudenly going to a new story drove me mad as well when using a phone. It is caused by scrolling with your finger and not being perfectly vertical. The site allows you to flick sideways to go to the next story, but seems to be really sensitive. The site is a big mess, stories are repeated 3 or four times as you scroll down the length and I have almost given up on it, I actually prefer the Stuff site now.
gbilski

Postby phord » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm

For some time, the big websites have been obsessed with lots of white space & reducing the functionality.

I did wonder if it was just the latest fad, but I now think there is something more to this.
I believe that they want to clear the screen as much as possible, so that the user cannot avoid seeing the ads.

The stupid thing is that other websites which don't rely on ads, are doing the same thing.
The trend is to make you click 3 or 4 time to go somewhere, whereas it used to be just one click.
Multiply this by many times in a day, and much time is lost.
The smaller sites don't realize that because Facebook & Google have reached critical mass, they can get away with this.
Where else are you going to go.

My banking website is proudly announcing that a revamp is on its way, I am dreading it.
phord

Next

Return to Today's column