A tale of two news outlets (5 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A tale of two news outlets (5 Jul, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:53 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0705.shtml

Wow... was that Stuff story a blatant piece of advertorial or what?

Why did that piece get published.... well clearly its because Spark are putting pressure on its advertising partners to deliver some "news" which will help its bottom line.

At least the NZH was up-front and told it like it is -- but Stuff would rather publish this kind of drivel?

How much did they earn for that story I wonder?

And how about the fact that in some parts of the country (Tokoroa for instance) their 4G broadband service is already next to useless at some times of the day due to over-commitment of its resources?

In the wake of this story, would you trust *anything* you read in Stuff these days?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A tale of two news outlets (5 Jul, 2017)

Postby Malcolm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 am

Just a note Spark doesn't own all of the 4G infrastructure used to provide broadband. The Government contract for RBI was awarded to Vodafone, and they in turn are required to provide access to other ISPs who wish to offer the service. So far only Spark have joined on. So if in an RBI zone you might be buying a service through Spark provided through Vodafone gear.

Also there is a third player in the NZ news media. Allied Press. They own the Otago Daily Times as well as a number of other regional papers in the South Island. They seem to have good coverage of national issues not just local ones.
Malcolm

Postby hiscoca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 am

So true Bruce, Stuff and Herald are not on my primary media list nowdays.
I use The Guardian a lot, doesnt do small NZ news but is good for most national/international new
hiscoca

Postby namartinnz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 am

To be fair it reads more like a review of the service at his parents place than a blatant advert to go out and buy it. Of course it doesn't rate as news...
namartinnz

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am

The best advertorial always reads like an "independent" review.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby namartinnz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 am

Fair call Bruce :)
namartinnz

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 am

Bruce wrote:What do readers think... is this level of undeclared advertorial content acceptable?

I'm sure Stuff thinks it's quite acceptable. :twisted:

The rest of us just have to ensure our BS antennae are working.
Perry

Postby Screw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 am

I get the ODT (Allied) delivered each day. Arrives about 10.00am at my gate. I also get the Chch Press (Fairfux) delivered at 6.00am. Don't use Stuff at any point.

My interwebby thing is with Skinny, piggybacks on Spark but there has been no noticeable decrease in speed lately.
Screw

Postby gregmcc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

For quite a while stuff has been in the business of "click bait" to get people to read their dribble, a classic example was "Exploding washing machine" really!, there was something in the washing machine that exploded??.... reality was it was another Samsung washing machine that caught fire due to faulty wiring, hardly an explosion. I called them on their BS headline and they did "modify" the article.

Anything I read on stuff I now assume is either some thinly veiled excuse for an advert or over hyped click bait that has no bearing on reality, in all fairness I would no longer call them a news agency.
gregmcc

Postby paulw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Malcolm wrote:Just a note Spark doesn't own all of the 4G infrastructure used to provide broadband. The Government contract for RBI was awarded to Vodafone, and they in turn are required to provide access to other ISPs who wish to offer the service. So far only Spark have joined on. So if in an RBI zone you might be buying a service through Spark provided through Vodafone gear.

Also there is a third player in the NZ news media. Allied Press. They own the Otago Daily Times as well as a number of other regional papers in the South Island. They seem to have good coverage of national issues not just local ones.

A friend of mine in Auckland recently got Spark Wireless BB. She really wanted fiber but as she lives down a right of way in a block of 12 stand along home units she couldn't as one person had objected. One other person there also had to go wireless. She was a bit peed off as the cable to the are is real bad in the wet and Chorus doesn't want to fix it as fiber goes past the gate.. Apart from having to buy some new cordless phone all went well..
paulw

Next

Return to Today's column