Pot, kettle, black (7 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Pot, kettle, black (7 Jul, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0707.shtml

Why on earth does the USA think that it has been given the right to play global police man.

Given that the USA used the excuse of "pre-emptive strike against a looming threat" to wage war against Iraq, why the hell are they so upset that N.Korea *may* do the same with the USA?

Surely those who live by the pre-emptive strike should die by the pre-emptive strike.

Or perhaps my idea about the feather-pillows and padded cell is the best possible solution.

Thoughts?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Pot, kettle, black (7 Jul, 2017)

Postby Muz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:17 am

Should we panic? No, says Pollack. Look behind the rhetoric, he said, and when it comes to nuclear weapons, North Korea has threatened only retaliation, not a first strike.

"They're more capable than we give them credit for," Pollack said. "But they're sane."

Trumps problem is that he thinks that he has God on his side and is therefore very righteous. Kim is just saying "Leave me alone or I'll give you both barrels on my way out"
Muz

Postby goosemoose » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am

I always found the nuke situation funny. Iran bad, Israel good etc. Get rid of them all I say. China is the one to keep an eye on here. Its relatively sane but if US goes to far then who knows. At least Citizen Thiel will have a nice place to chicken out to if it all goes off.
goosemoose

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 am

So far only one country has actually used nuclear weapons to attack another country. I'd say they are the ones to keep an eye out for.
Muscular Jam

Postby paulw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Muscular Jam wrote:So far only one country has actually used nuclear weapons to attack another country. I'd say they are the ones to keep an eye out for.

I think you should look at history and see why they did it. If they hadn't you may not be here as your father or grandfather may have been killed trying to take over Japan. The Japs were not going to surrender.
paulw

Postby Malcolm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 pm

They also used them as a warning to the Soviet Union to not try to push any further once the Axis powers were dealt with. A continuation of the war with the UK/US fighting with the USSR was a real danger at the time apparently.
Malcolm

Postby phill » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:01 pm

in my greater list of
countries never to be trusted with nuclear weapons
a good 50% of the list are the ones with them

july 27 ... end of korean war celebration
aug 15 ... liberation of korea in 1945 celebration
aug 25 ... songun celebration
sep 9 .... founding of dprk celebration
you can figure out why they may be interesting dates

and im calling it ... im betting russia has given fat kim a lot of rocket tec in the last 3 years midget pootin just could not have resisted
phill

Postby Weasel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Its not ultimate hypocrisy, the US stockpile is used as a deterrent by way of mutually assured destruction. This is what has kept the other super power(s) in their place and maintained the freedom of the western worlds luxurious lifestyles for the last 60 odd years.

If the US doesnt play global policeman, then who is? No one, if the US exited the world stage and just kept its nukes to protect North America and stayed out of everyone else's business, that would leave a huge power vacuum, doesnt take an expert to figure who or what would soon fill it.

DPRK could potentially upset that balance if they start a series of tit for tats, who's side is everyone else with the big guns going to be on? Ours or theirs? If they try something dumb they need to get slapped in the face hard and fast, to send a message that there is plenty more where that came from. And they better sit down, shut up and get with the program.

Paulw is quite correct, Japan wasnt going to give up, they wanted the Pacific and were not going to stop, it took two nukes to convince them otherwise in the end.
Weasel

Postby JonL » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Yet many say the Emperor was going to surrender. They were used to send a message to Soviet Union, even though the Soviets were not interested in "expanding their control" Eastern Europe was being used as a buffer against further attacks. Just as Putin's Russia has no desire to invade anyone with all the problems that brings. They have enough on their hands improving the lot of their own country, thanks very much, and all the wests posturing,bullying and aggression hasn't pulled them into major conflict yet, other than Syria..to where they were invited....unlike the Western powers. Korea...they are scared stiff of the US, espec after being bombed near back to the stone age in the Korean War and will take down South Korea and Japan, at least, if the US attack. Memories of WW2 also play a big part in it....read up on an accurate history of that area 1935 onwards....makes interesting and disturbing reading...
JonL

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm

paulw wrote:
Muscular Jam wrote:So far only one country has actually used nuclear weapons to attack another country. I'd say they are the ones to keep an eye out for.
I think you should look at history and see why they did it. If they hadn't you may not be here as your father or grandfather may have been killed trying to take over Japan. The Japs were not going to surrender.
I used to believe the exact same thing. I even believed that using the weapons may have ended up saving Japanese lives compared to the war dragging on and on. And then I read more about the Manhattan project. Roosevelt authorised using them on Germany but Germany collapsed before they got them ready. So then they were rushing to try and get them ready to use against Japan before it also collapsed. https://www.osti.gov/opennet/manhattan-project-history/Events/1942-1945/1942-1945.htm In short, they had a new toy and they were desperate to use it on somebody.
Muscular Jam

Next

Return to Today's column