Pot, kettle, black (7 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Pot, kettle, black (7 Jul, 2017)

Postby phill » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 pm

i look at the corruption scores by transparency since 98 odd and see the usa has stayed between 7.2 and 7.6
not an inspiring score for a country touting itself as the world example of an inspirational society

so i task your " the USA, being the preeminent democratic society "
to the max

the corruption of greed cannot help but destroy the ideals of people in a country like the usa
i was going to go on .. but this pretty much sums it up

http://www.dannydorling.org/books/injus ... equali.pdf

in short not a situation people or a country should aspire to
if you wish to be world leaders .. and im more than happy for you to be
first be worthy of the title

judge not a country with your ears and listening to the hopes and aspirations of its leaders
but rather with your eyes and seeing how it treats its poorest and most in need
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Muscular Jam » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:31 am

A Bradford wrote:But here is an anti-postmodernists view in reply to your column today.
Thanks your thoughtful and well-written contribution which I read with great interest. Personally although I don't think democracy is perfect it certainly seems better than the alternatives. But I reject the american notion that the world considers them somehow exceptional. It is a nation that has produced some great thinkers and truly admirable human beings, but I see no signs of that in the history of its foreign policy. That seems to have been designed by a very different group of people. And although it feels strange, I find myself in agreement with phil in having trouble with your statement " the USA, being the preeminent democratic society ". Technically the USA was never a democracy, it was a republic. (Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just slightly different). But now it seems to be more of a plutocracy than a republic.
Muscular Jam

Postby Screw » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Agreed MJ. The US is a Plutocracy with religious overtones. No-one out here in the wide world regards the US as "Exceptional", only they themselves do and self praise is not a recommendation.
Screw

Postby Muscular Jam » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Screw wrote:Agreed MJ. The US is a Plutocracy with religious overtones. No-one out here in the wide world regards the US as "Exceptional", only they themselves do and self praise is not a recommendation.
And rapidly developing Authoritarian overtones. The last decade has seen the rise of a massive security state and attack on the privacy and core protections of their citizens. Its now a land of warrantless surveillance where the president can quash privacy lawsuits, and claims to have the right to kill any citizen, on his sole authority. They also rolled back key international principles in expanding drone attacks and promising not to prosecute officials for torture. And this new one looks even worse. I never dreamed I would live to see a world where Americans defect to Russia seeking political asylum. There is an anecdote that after the Constitutional Convention of 1787 a lady asked Dr. Benjamin Franklin "Well Doctor what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" Franklin is alleged to have replied "A republic, if you can keep it.” I reckon they've lost it now.

PS
Ha, love this title German Chancellor Angela Merkel is now the 'leader of the free world'
Muscular Jam

Previous

Return to Today's column