Corporate Earth (14 Jul, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Corporate Earth (14 Jul, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0714.shtml

Could corporatisation be about to replace self-governance in sovereign nations around the world?

We already have plenty of examples of large multinational corporations which supply "essential services" effectively being able to thumb their noses at the governments of the nations in which they operate. If this continues, will their influence become so pervasive that the governments do their bidding and we end up with "corporate Earth" where we are all in the control of these corporations?

How far down the road are we to this "new world order"?

Can it be avoided?

Or am I full of shirt? :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Corporate Earth (14 Jul, 2017)

Postby davejc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Whilst you, I and every other individual in the country has to pay tax at the prescribed rate and in a way that sees as much as a third of our income handed over to the government

By taking into account PAYE, GST, Road-User charges, and other hidden taxes, the amount paid to the Govt is approx 42%.
davejc

Postby phill » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatocracy

How far down the road are we to this "new world order"?

quite a distance
ie
done n dusted unless we get truly revolting
phill

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:01 pm

My view is that actually this has been around for a long time, it's simply got bigger and more blatant. It's all part of the greyer and stinkier bits of democracy versus business, and those special relationships.
After all, what's the difference between avoiding tax, and getting 'subsidies' for a major industry (aluminium smelters anyone ?), where those subsidies can be in various overt or covert forms.
The UK was full of this garbage too. "special grant' and all that crap. Oh yes, 'rescue funds' for bankrupt companies (think BL, British Steel, Ship builders, etc) is another one.

If you look at it that way, yesterday's water take is (broadly) the same kind of issue - it's exploitation of local resources/money by a large corporation who throw their weight around and can threaten govmint
by moving away or reducing jobs, by using their perceived 'benefits' as a weapon. But never tax take, oh hell no.

That IRD example quoted is truly disgusting to me - how can paying yourself less money be somehow considered tax avoidance ? I think that's utter bollox. But then it's probably one of many abuses.

And then govmint states that it doesn't understand why everyone fiddles their tax (and whatever else they can get away with) and how it's somehow 'dodgy' , when they themselves are the biggest fiddlers of all.

And yes, the internet will probably make it worse. Online shopping anyone ? Direct from China and cheap !! Woo-hoo !! the fact that it buggers up any local shops, manufacturers ? Nah......

Amazon will own all the supermarkets soon, then what happens ? I think you can guess.
par_annoyed

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm

par_annoyed wrote:My view is that actually this has been around for a long time, it's simply got bigger and more blatant.

I concur. The Internet is just a tool that the corporatocracy uses - albeit with with good effect - in conjunction with all the other tools in their control box. All of which have been in use since bartering faded from the scene. But the people are a beast of muddied brain . . .
Perry

Postby decibel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm

But this isn't the first time - the East India company basically ran India anyway they liked (including growing opium to sell to the Chinese)
Finally things got so bad that the British government had to take over. ( the running of India, not the company)

As for taxes, Apple etc claim the same advantages that Fonterra do - only pay tax in one country.
Fonterra pays in NZ, Apple pays in Ireland (which has offered them a special deal)

One thing is sure, you won't find a Kiwi politician who will sort this out. (they will need b*lls for starters.)
decibel

Postby Weasel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 pm

NZ could fix the broken inflated housing market, fix tax and immigration laws to encourage venture capital, tech companies and middle class tech talent to be a significant global player. But it doesnt, so clearly its of someones benefit to keep it just how it is and backwards. Instead the woe is me record is played and nothing changes.
Weasel

Postby Weasel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 pm

par_annoyed wrote:
Amazon will own all the supermarkets soon, then what happens ? I think you can guess.

They already are doing it, they just bought Whole Foods in the US, theories abound, but the one that stands out is they get access to a treasure trove of consumer supermarket data, existing established customer base, supply chains, and store locations, and will start figuring out how to apply its big data and automation resources to turn it into something big.
Weasel

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Weasel wrote: They already are doing it ....

Yeah, that was why I added that - monopoly and corporatocracy are already here, more so in some countries that others, and they ain't going away, just nicely both growing successfully together.

And all that lovely gorgeous consumer data is no doubt a big thing, as you say, but to me further raises the spectre of Big Brother.

"Hey Par, how were the carrots you bought last week?" Arrghhhh......all too bloody real...
par_annoyed

Return to Today's column