British Government wants back doors (3 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

British Government wants back doors (3 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0803.shtml

Are the Brits really serious?

Do they really want to legislate for mandatory back-door access to encryption systems that would otherwise deliver end-to-end security of communications?

How will they cope when quantum communications makes that impossible?

And surely this is the equivalent of legislating that no person or persons may whisper under threat of punishment.

Outrageous.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: British Government wants back doors (3 Aug, 2017)

Postby phill » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am

not sure how they will make it work
it can only apply to software companies that trade out of gb so everyone will buy their encryption from one that doesnt
so all they are doing is crippling uk software companies ( maybe russia or the us gave them the idea that they should do this )

also not sure how you fight terrorism ( the disrupting and instilling fear into a population ) by more disruption and fear
surely that is wining the terrorists war for them

every time the govt makes life less pleasant for their own people .. the terrorists win
every time the govt uses more of the taxpayers money to make life less pleasant for their own people .. the terrorists win more

there is no way you can stop all possible terrorist attack ideas when they only need a very small effect on a few people to create a large press coverage and govt reaction to succeed
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby goosemoose » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am

Actually, think about the possibilities. I could now legitimately say that my bank has been hacked and that $1000 donation to the National party has disappeared. Into my own pockets of course. Obviously someone has decrypted my transactions. Besides, "Mr Jones needs a new roof".
goosemoose

Postby Weasel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 am

iPhone, erases it self after 10 bad PIN attempts, Signal - end to end encryption, with messages set to expire and self delete after 7 days. They know people do this, they know the device it self is all but unbreakable, they know that even if the device is unlocked there might not even be more than a few days of data to "discover", so they want an easy way in. I bet its the police commissioner or what ever they call them selves over there bleating into the governments ear to make it easy for them to snoop. We all know the NSA, CIA, MI6 etc has been doing this forever, whatever those guys are going to do, they're going to for reasons we'll never know, but the local po-po wants to play spy games now too!
Weasel

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:45 am

so...let's see. . .The UK (and Oz, and others) want a mathematical impossibility to be enshrined in law. So, the service providers are going to have to ban encryption, or be in breach of the law..... and/or any user of open source tools will similarly be treated as criminals, sometime soon. I can't see any other outcome. So yes, WTF do we do with all those https on line banking and credit card transactions ? It's total bollox. If it gets enforced, a large portion of everyday web use will become open to ANYONE.... Back to cash and snail mail ? Nah, can't see that either, but something will have to give. I can only assume it's posturing by the pollies. If they are serious then they must have no brains whatsoever. ...Oh, wait.....
par_annoyed

Postby Kiwiiano » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm

iqmn-Ou8c-0KaW-jQyf dcZQ-dGZc-tfyb-ogbM nuZ9-k6cu-HJGY-fgOe XwbC-HwHJ-Sp2V-gFI0 cUzG-w0d2-s7Ln-c5uN 0NS2-C2BF-SLQB-LYAr JGYj-6x2o-D1f2-5Jwl w2Ii-7Pez-YUsj-3vcF LVBw-Hhzb-8PQX-brUG tAGp-OkDK-pfMA-qopv oMZg-YKVj-aYTz-FZBX YwWM-lSWw-CA9M-3PEq ckJX-ZgYj-MxgZ-9g1h qXfe-a6Fr-G5kR-M1Uy 5obg-FbeB-90cp-EvSq YtIW-puXb-xMuM-41zD aEIj-ujxk-FvVf-pA3H mPAD-Rivm-bmWy-zChZ 9gzY-cZ9v-59Nl-JPsh eKTy-fxkY-plhp-tRX9 jlo2-PTkk-oa44-t4Zb Qvfv-rWCJ-cJOB-Cp9g w9UM-FyfT-krg7-0KV6 npIV-lFif-IV8C-51zX uXpX-hCFs-FzWz-JDwI xLCc-M3Uk-DUuc-FDhx vsOD-xGRN-USND-gAYP BgNZ-0qfQ-tAiF-JgTL Qkww-ua8S-93mX-xqiC kg6M-f2jj-ofac-T1a7 PudW-7xj5-f6y0-V9Hu WLDo-ArUK-DjMQ-TSvf k5vL-uXz0-5OZ0-GEBj
(can't be too careful you know, who knows who is lurking on this site....??)
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Screw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Yup!
Attachments
RihannaSecretMiddleFingerEmoji-619-386.jpg
Screw

Postby JonL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 pm

par_annoyed wrote:so...let's see. . .The UK (and Oz, and others) want a mathematical impossibility to be enshrined in law. .

Well.......Malcolm Turnbull has already said the Laws of Mathematics don't apply in Australia.....only the laws of Australia....... :roll:
JonL

Postby roygbiv » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

It is worth listening to UK government and what they are banging on about, because if they get what they want with encryption it will happen to us in NZ, just a matter of time.

Thank god for Open Source where some very clever encryption stuff exists, freely available source code for everyone to use. Just like Phi Zimmermann did in the early 90s with PGP which no longer meets the definition of a non-exportable weapon according to USofA.
So what is stopping us (and terrorists alike) from using this if we really want to be secret about things. Then we can just use and adapt it for our own requirements.
I use Open Source for two reasons.
1. Its free
2. As the source code is published there cannot be a hidden back door, or someone will see it, point it out or correct it.

Something I am very distrustful about when selecting a password database for example, is that there is an encryption back door, you pay for what you get - free one is bound to, unless it is Open Source.

I cannot see the government being able to enforce access to all of Joe Publics encryption keys.

But, there is another side where this is just a big smokescreen. And that GCHQ already have quantum computers hidden deep in their secret lairds which can de-code even the hardest of encryption. So we are all (including jonny terrorist) being duped into a false sense that our private information is private.
roygbiv

Postby patrick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 pm

UK/NZ/US/oz/Ca are too used to having full access to everyone’s emails, web visits, phone calls and so on.

End to end encryption is problematic is it means they have to break into phones via their own hacks (recent leaks have shown how effective these are) or use software from companies like NSO Group (zero day hacks to monitor/control iPhone and android phones). The alternative is to brute force break the encryption - that is too resource intensive to do on a mass basis.

Trying to get the companies to add back doors is an easy first step. The companies may agree to secretly do this as we have seen with phone and internet providers doing for govts up until now. If they refuse then the uk could eventually bring in legislation to force Apple/Google/Amazon to ban e2e encryption apps from their App Stores, though that’s unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future with Brexit negotiations and May’s weak position. If there is legislation then whatsapp and so on will provide backdoors or Apple and so on will be forced to remove their apps to comply (as they have quickly done in China recently) which will mean the vast majority of people will be subject to surveillance.

We will still be able to manually install apps on android and use tor, but govts can still easily block such traffic if they wish.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens.
patrick

Next

Return to Today's column