Where is our $7K ECEV? (15 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Where is our $7K ECEV? (15 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0815.shtml

Would you buy one of those el-cheapo electric vehicles from China in preference to a used Japanese imported dino-juicer?

Have we reached a point where we need to start weaning Kiwis off their Toyota Camry's and SUVs and into small/cheap EVs such as the ones featured in today's column as the family's "second car". Wouldn't it make much more sense to use an ECEV to scoot down to the shops for a loaf of bread than to fire up the old fire-breathing Nissan Patrol or whatever?

If the Chinese can produce a $7K ECEV, why can't we -- given that even though our labour costs are higher, it would be a project that benefited the nation in a way that imported dino-guzzlers can never do?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Where is our $7K ECEV? (15 Aug, 2017)

Postby Screw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 am

aardvark_admin wrote:If the Chinese can produce a $7K ECEV, why can't we -- given that even though our labour costs are higher, it would be a project that benefited the nation in a way that imported dino-guzzlers can never do?

'Cause the Gubbies don't have faith in ye average Kiwi Innovator unless it's getting more milk from less ground.
Screw

Postby hagfish » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am

I suppose this is the kind of vehicle that will respond when we push the 'pick me up' buttton on our ride-hailing apps. My guess is that these autonomous taxis will be much roomier inside with a big tray table where the steering wheel/dash used to be, and plenty of room for the shopping. The trim and finishes will be industrial strength. A ride in a private one will likely be more expensive than grabbing a seat in the next autonomous bus, tho.

Until then, $7K will get a pretty nice eBike.
hagfish

Postby ffirman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:42 am

Well we just traded in our large 2tonne gas guzzling l3 v6 for a 2 tonne 106HP EV. The EV cost $12,600 before tradein, and the battery health is 75% of design, but even with that we can do an easy 70km on a charge, and in the last 2 weeks have done over 1000km of petrol free driving.
The 1000km has used about 200kwhr or power and we pay 17.5c inc GST so that is about, $35 vs on the v6, it would have used about 130l or $237. Even in our smaller 1.8l cat it would have still used, about 90l or $164.

I think a saving in fuel costs of $130 / fn is worth having, and means we will have the car totally paid for 3.6 years, excluding maintenance for either cars.

So right now a jab import second hand ev (Nissan Leaf) with 10 airbags, traction control , ABS, keyless entry and start etc is a great option, esp for the normal everyday short journey that most people do. For the longer journeys or where we need to carry more than 5 people, our Toyota Isis (sliding door version of the Wish), will work. At least until 2nd hand Tesla 3's, or the new Leafs become available. The new Leaf is coming with at least a 40Kwhr battery, which should be good for 200km easy. And the Tesla 3, I think has a 60, so an easy 300km.

Fran.
ffirman

Postby Weasel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:44 am

Why dont you import them?

$8k US got me the equiv of a Holden Commodore here that was 3 years old, top trim level and 42k miles on it, and it costs me $30 to $40 to fill it up. Why would I want one of those punny electric things? One might be good once kiddo starts school, and wife starts working again for her to run around in, but it wouldnt ever pay for it self.

Car dealers hate electric cars because there it nothing to service on them much, so customers wont be coming back often for basic maintence, no incentive for them to want to sell them.
Weasel

Postby joeseph » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 am

Great idea, but a couple of things spring to mind, firstly I would need an EV in addition to a larger vehicle, as getting a family of 5 around with associated crapola isn't going to fly in such a small vehicle.
Secondly, where are we going to put all these? It'll only work if you're going to entirely replace the existing vehicle fleet & I can't see that happening to any degree...
joeseph

Postby phill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:19 am

ok i will bang on about the mega pixel again .. due for launch in a couple of months
https://autoportal.com/newcars/tata/megapixel/
( its root is the nano )
unlike most its not an electric vehicle trying to be as much like a petrol vehicle for the hillbillies as it can
its a reev trying to be the best reev it can be .. 67 ks range on battery alone
after that its petrol at 1ltr per 100ks

could we build a model equally as good here ...... yes
could we design and build an even better model here .... again ... yes .. and run it on alternative fuel ie 100% ethanol
with autonomous drive at the flick of a switch
but as screw points out our retards are in the wrong headspace
and with the plant size required any attempt by privates to setup will require to much capital as our bankers and entrepreneurs ( aka our other retards ) are in the same headspace as the gubbies

such a shame
its something we could do really well and profitably
Last edited by phill on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
phill

Postby Screw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:22 am

Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:27 am

The problem with electric bikes is that they are crap on a rainy day, offer no protection at all against many of the "idiots" who drive cars and think they own the roads and there's very little in the way of carrying capacity.

Not having ridden a bike for many years, I figured it would be a great way to get to/from work so I tried it.

After two days I went back to walking. So bloody dangerous (at least around here). Many car drivers just ignore you and expect you to get out of their way and little things like narrow railway bridges with no cycle lanes require you to *hope* that the car drivers which scream up behind you will slow down and wait -- rather than squeezing you between the bridge rails and their passenger doors (but the latter is more likely around here).

There's just no way I'd put my life in the hands of some idiot car driver by riding a bike on the roads around here -- far too dangerous! An e-bike would be absolutely no different. One only has to look at the injury/fatality statistics for bikes to see how four wheels are a whole lot safer than two -- at least in this country.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby paulw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am

Yes I'd buy one but by the time it was converted to RHD and all the NZ markups it would be over $20 000 so it wouldn't sell well..
paulw

Next

Return to Today's column