Where is our $7K ECEV? (15 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Where is our $7K ECEV? (15 Aug, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am

aardvark_admin wrote:The problem with electric bikes is that they are crap on a rainy day, offer no protection at all against many of the "idiots" who drive cars and think they own the roads and there's very little in the way of carrying capacity.

By a raincoat. A good one. I used to cycle to and from work in Wellington, used to get wet but changed into a dry set of clothes at work. No problems. E-cars aren't really solving the congestion problem. Bikes stand a better chance of doing that. If more people cycled the local authorities would start to cater for them more. Probably not for you in your neck of the woods though :shock:
goosemoose

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Then there's the XYT. From France, it's the most butt-ugly vehicle ever created, but it has only 580 parts compared to 6000 to 10,000 in your typical dino-juice guzzler. It's also highly adaptable & customisable.
See https://cleantechnica.com/2017/08/13/xy ... fying-evs/
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby mad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:13 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0815.shtml

If the Chinese can produce a $7K ECEV, why can't we -- given that even though our labour costs are higher, it would be a project that benefited the nation in a way that imported dino-guzzlers can never do?

First up, they can't build them for 7K NZD

It is only that price after a huge whack of local EV subsidies, If you read this article its a $14K USD (NZD $20K car)
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/111 ... -for-china

Second, The Chinese Market is not known for insisting on Safety, just look at the star ratings of some of the "Great wall" and "Chery" vehicles that sell here.
mad

Postby phill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:Then there's the XYT. From France, it's the most butt-ugly vehicle ever created,

you cant just come up with a car that ugly
it has to be carefully designed
they have achieved the difficult trick of making it look like a pug dog .. with its face pushed in
phill

Postby mad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:39 pm

phill wrote:
Kiwiiano wrote:Then there's the XYT. From France, it's the most butt-ugly vehicle ever created,

... you cant just come up with a car that ugly.... it has to be carefully designed .....

So basically a mini moke with a roof,
mad

Postby phill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm

and the door from an armored truck

and dont knock the moke it was a great vehicle for us ( navy )
if no crane was available it could be picked up and carried over the gangway
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Looks like an electric 2CV eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby elbrownos » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The problem with electric bikes is that they are crap on a rainy day, offer no protection at all against many of the "idiots" who drive cars and think they own the roads and there's very little in the way of carrying capacity.

Not having ridden a bike for many years, I figured it would be a great way to get to/from work so I tried it.

After two days I went back to walking. So bloody dangerous (at least around here). Many car drivers just ignore you and expect you to get out of their way and little things like narrow railway bridges with no cycle lanes require you to *hope* that the car drivers which scream up behind you will slow down and wait -- rather than squeezing you between the bridge rails and their passenger doors (but the latter is more likely around here).

There's just no way I'd put my life in the hands of some idiot car driver by riding a bike on the roads around here -- far too dangerous! An e-bike would be absolutely no different. One only has to look at the injury/fatality statistics for bikes to see how four wheels are a whole lot safer than two -- at least in this country.

Is that in Tokoroa?
I moved here in April and have been cycling to the mill most days. I thought it would be safe but how wrong I was!
Several near misses every day, despite the very small amount of traffic. I think the driving here is so undemanding that people just drive around with their eyes closed.
elbrownos

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 am

elbrownos wrote:

Not having ridden a bike for many years, I figured it would be a great way to get to/from work so I tried it.

After two days I went back to walking. So bloody dangerous (at least around here). Many car drivers just ignore you and expect you to get out of their way and little things like narrow railway bridges with no cycle lanes require you to *hope* that the car drivers which scream up behind you will slow down and wait -- rather than squeezing you between the bridge rails and their passenger doors (but the latter is more likely around here).

There's just no way I'd put my life in the hands of some idiot car driver by riding a bike on the roads around here -- far too dangerous! An e-bike would be absolutely no different. One only has to look at the injury/fatality statistics for bikes to see how four wheels are a whole lot safer than two -- at least in this country.

Is that in Tokoroa?
I moved here in April and have been cycling to the mill most days. I thought it would be safe but how wrong I was!
Several near misses every day, despite the very small amount of traffic. I think the driving here is so undemanding that people just drive around with their eyes closed.

My commute to work involves puttering across a flat city, usually with a tail wind. It really couldn't be simpler. But there are three busy roundabouts along Cook Street. I take them one at a time, and regularly bail out, turn left, and walk my bike across. Number of time killed on Cook Street: zero (to date). I would NEVER conscience riding on a narrow open road, and 100% respect your decision not to.

If we are able to get a little further with infrastructure and driver education, it will be by standing on the coroners' reports of open-road cyclists :(
hagfish

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:09 am

Bruce wrote:However, it has to be accepted that most people in NZ just don't like public transport and for that reason the personal vehicle is probably here to stay for many years to come.

Why?

Because they're too infrequent, too sparse and only a few cities have the population density to make them viable.

In Hastings and Napier, the bus services are heavily subsidised by ratepayers.
Perry

PreviousNext

Return to Today's column