A million eyes for China (16 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A million eyes for China (16 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0816.shtml

Are the speculators correct? Could DJI's drones be feeding valuable information to bad-actors including the intelligence operators of foreign nations?

Is there a way to counter this?

And what about the phone in your pocket... could it be doing the same thing?

Who needs expensive spy satellites when you've got a window with millions of airborne eyes into the heart of a nation such as the USA?

Are Android and IOS the wrong platforms for applications such as this -- given the obvious ease with which they can be hijacked by something as simple as a hot-update and libraries from bad actors?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A million eyes for China (16 Aug, 2017)

Postby Muz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 pm

and when one of those hijacked drones is one of these: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/23/chinese_etailer_drones_beat_amazon/ Even if the item being carried isn't explosive, someone is going to get more than a headache.
Muz

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Surely with our smartphones and smart TVs and always-on digital assistants and whatnot, we only have to worry about the ones that are assembled in China :mrgreen:
hagfish

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Ah drones leaking all that vital information to the commies.

Typed on my Microsoft Windows 10 PC using office365 with Dropbox, Google, Azure, AWS etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. You get the picture. Drones leaking info is he least of my worries. CIA, NSA, Corporates etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc the list goes on and on and on and on and on......

Everyones snorting up information like there's no tomorrow and we're worried about info leaking drones. :roll: Drones, they're right at the back of the snorting queue.
goosemoose

Postby hagfish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:44 pm

goosemoose wrote:Ah drones leaking all that vital information to the commies.

Typed on my Microsoft Windows 10 PC using office365 with Dropbox, Google, Azure, AWS etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. You get the picture. Drones leaking info is he least of my worries. CIA, NSA, Corporates etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc the list goes on and on and on and on and on......

Everyones snorting up information like there's no tomorrow and we're worried about info leaking drones. :roll: Drones, they're right at the back of the snorting queue.

Even the humble Roomba is implicated. IS NOTHING SACRED?
hagfish

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 am

goosemoose wrote:Ah drones leaking all that vital information to the commies.

Ah but in theory the NSA, GCSB etc are friendly powers. While the Chinese might be hostile to us.
Malcolm

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am

Malcolm wrote:Ah but in theory the NSA, GCSB etc are friendly powers. While the Chinese might be hostile to us.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Return to Today's column