Where will the ads go? (18 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Where will the ads go? (18 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0818.shtml

Some of the most nostalgic moments of my walk down memory lane through the scanned and archived pages of Byte magazine, came from reading the advertisements.

Sadly, today's e-publishers are not archiving the advertising, only the editorial content so are we losing an invaluable window into the past?

Are their any formal initiatives to preserve contemporary advertising as a way of helping document contemporary society and provide insight into today's various industries and markets?

Will we only realise the importance of archiving advertising after we've already lost a huge amount of this valuable data?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Where will the ads go? (18 Aug, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am

The first couple of decades of this century will soon be something of a 'Dark Age', i think. Yes - we have billions of photos and videos in The Cloud, but once that goes dark, that data is gone for good.

The Million Dollar Homepage is a (hideous) snapshot of what we thought was important just a few years ago. About a third of its links have since rotted away, and most of the rest re-direct to cyber-squatty-type domain landing pages.

All it takes is a bit (or a byte) of bad luck, and even a busy internet forum can disappear, along with many years of mordant reckons :D
hagfish

Postby roygbiv » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 pm

I think the history of all advertising itself is doomed to be lost in the annals of time, and unfortunately it has been recognised long ago, but never acknowledged enough for anything to be done about it (as far as I know). I worked in the advertising industry in London in the 80s visiting many advertising agencies throughout London and was genuinely interested in what they did and achieved. The campaigns could assert so much influence on people, not just products and sales but the introduction of new trends and changes in society.
The most notorious (perhaps infamous) which brought Thatcher to government was the Conservative Party Labour isn't Working campaign.
I am sure there have been a few books written on successful advertising and associated campaigns. But the industry is such a fast moving, competitive and protective one that much of the researched, media data of a product or campaign is destroyed when it has completed so as to ensure the creators are protected from theft or plagiarism.
roygbiv

Postby phord » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 pm

I don't think advertising that has come about in recent times is worth keeping anyway. It has no soul.
Just because we look fondly upon the quaintness of those old ads does not mean that we will feel the warm fuzzies towards todays ads in 20 years from now.
IMO, "contemporary society" & tech won't be changing all that much from now on.
Therefore, there's no point documenting it anyway.
phord

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Advertising is an interesting one and is specific to the media and expectations of the time. Oldest bit of advertising I've seen: phallas carved into a cobblestone on the footpath pointing to the local brothel... in Pompeii ! :lol:
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby flyernzl » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:08 pm

One only has to look at the latest changes of Photobucket.

Many enthusiast groups and individuals used Photobucket as a low (or no) cost way of adding illustrations to their online content.
Now Photobucket have pulled the plug on linking - unless you buy a USD500 per annum package - way out of the pocket for most such groups and individuals.
So their publications and boards from even the quite recent past are now peppered with blanks where those jpegs used to be.

All that history already lost.
flyernzl

Postby Malcolm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:02 am

flyernzl wrote:One only has to look at the latest changes of Photobucket.

Many enthusiast groups and individuals used Photobucket as a low (or no) cost way of adding illustrations to their online content.
Now Photobucket have pulled the plug on linking - unless you buy a USD500 per annum package - way out of the pocket for most such groups and individuals.
So their publications and boards from even the quite recent past are now peppered with blanks where those jpegs used to be.

All that history already lost.

Seen that happen so many times. Someone creates a service to host images which then can be embedded in forums posts etc. Maybe the moderation gets too hard, or hosting costs go up. Company changes policy and breaks the way images are linked from forum posts (imageshack). Or they disappear completely (waffleimages). Suddenly all the archive posts on a forum are almost worthless as the images contained in them are no longer accessible. Imgur may go the same way one day. I guess that is why Reddit now has its own images and now video hosting service.
Malcolm

Return to Today's column