SkyTV is not an entertainment company (23 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SkyTV is not an entertainment company (23 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:54 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0823.shtml

Seriously... can you believe what Fellet is saying and can you believe that shareholders are accepting this crap?

If this company and its shareholders are indicative of the calibre of NZ"s management and investment communities, what dire future is ahead of us?

And how dare Fellet slander pirates like that? :lol:
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SkyTV is not an entertainment company (23 Aug, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 am

The only thing that keeps them going is sport. Many, many people only have Sky for the sports and its just a PITA to them that they get all the other crap. They are paying a premium for it too. I don't think they can raise the subscriptions too much higher. If they do then people will bite the bullet and just "Nah" to sport and Sky. In fact I reckon that if sport stays on Sky then there will be a flow on effect to the actual sports and participation in them. After all how do kids get interested and excited in sports if not by watching them first and if people cant't afford to pay for it, then.....
goosemoose

Postby Malcolm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes I remember it happening to Cricket in the 90s. In the early 90s cricket was still on free-to-air TV. Every kid watched it, you would go to the domestic competition games and Lancaster park would be near capacity. Sold out for the Semi-finals and finals. Cricket clubs were booming with young players. Riding this wave of popularity they followed the money to Sky Sports. Now the domestic competition is only followed by a few. Games are never sold out, often you get barely a mention of who won the competition. The international games are also not selling as well as they used to. Kids aren't playing it in the same numbers anymore. Of course now since they have lower viewership Sky is offering them less money for the rights (But still more than TVNZ or TV3).
Malcolm

Postby paulw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Sky's CEO John Fellet was a great CEO for Sky when it went from a 3 channel analog system to the modern digital satellite platform but the time has come for him to step aside and let someone who is in touch with the modern tech world. I think he believes taht anyone who use DNS redirect to watch something outside NZ is a pirate. Remember Telecom under Theresa Gattung? Was the most hated monopoly around under her watch. Got rid of her , re-branded and now has one of the best customer services in the industry. Same should happen to Sky. Maybe a re-brand would help as well.
paulw

Postby joeseph » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm

paulw wrote:Remember Telecom under Theresa Gattung? Was the most hated monopoly around under her watch. Got rid of her , re-branded and now has one of the best customer services in the industry.

I'm probably not the only one finding this comment not entirely accurate...
joeseph

Postby greven » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:18 am

joeseph wrote:
paulw wrote:Remember Telecom under Theresa Gattung? Was the most hated monopoly around under her watch. Got rid of her , re-branded and now has one of the best customer services in the industry.

I'm probably not the only one finding this comment not entirely accurate...

They have their good days & their bad days, but they are now good enough for most people & a lot of their competitors who were providing superior service back in the day (such as Orcon) are now almost universally recognised as worse than Spark
Spark is even offering a decent IP phone system to their business customers.
greven

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Bruce wrote:But seriously... I honestly can't fathom (pun intended) why it is that neither Sky's management nor its shareholders seem blissfully unaware of the fate that awaits them under Fellet's mismanagement. Unbelievable! If that's the calibre of this country's management and investment communities we're stuffed!

Yet you (and others) wonder why residential rental investment is so popular?
Perry

Return to Today's column