I really am an old fart (24 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

I really am an old fart (24 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0824.shtml

Are the three factors I've listed really the key to reducing violent offending or am I just being a boring old fart?

Why is it that I (think I) am the lone voice of sanity and reason within the ranks of a community where so many are baying for the blood of violent offenders?

What is wrong with a council that is effectively part of the problem by virtue of the fact that they choose to deny the young people of this town the opportunities that might help them avoid becoming part of the gang culture that is causing such strife here?

When will people realise that we all need to be part of the solution?

Why are police not walking the beat as a very visible deterrent to such offending and instead, setting up road-blocks to check for expired WOFs and regos?

Why do we sit by and accept this kind of buffoonery on the part of "the powers that be"?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I really am an old fart (24 Aug, 2017)

Postby goosemoose » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:32 am

Agree with everything you say. The cops don't anything because everything today is management by numbers or spreadsheet. There are no hard numbers you can put against having a safer community. Whereas, number of tickets handed out, number of arrests etc etc. But numbers of civilians spoken to in helping a keep community safer, bollocks.
goosemoose

Postby phill » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:02 pm

i would add that
around here the main family unit for the problem kids is
2 parents ... neither of which work .. and neither of which give a shit where or what their winz pay increases are doing
the only moral lessons taught are only fools pay full price when hot stuff is cheaper .. and a useful top up for winz payments if the opportunity arises
and of course its never your fault if you go to jail its everyone elses

police that are now at least 50% tokens .. of various types and limited physical capabilities .. generally lacking in moral fortitude ... are not much use for beat walking
( or trusting with fire arms but thats another matter ) so facebook becomes the public interface of choice
phill

Postby Screw » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Small rural towns the world over are suffering the same malaise. That's why the USA has got Trumpy and the UK has got Maysie, they are going to set it all to rights you see.

Everyone can see the Elephant (Crime, Drugs, Violence) in the room but ignores the Gorilla (lack of decent work) sitting at the table! Fix the Gorilla and the Elephant will disappear (almost).

We are both "Old Farts" Bruce but times have changed from the daze when we were sprouting up. I grew up on a Dairy farm and we had a 230ac playground the wander around and amuse ourselves, experiencing new experiences each day. Building huts in trees and swimming in the local creek, making model planes (and crashing them too), hunting bunnies for dinner and so on. There was always something new to do. That experience is not available to so many today.

What we have now is a second or even a third generation of people who have never had to work for a living and it is very hard to break that mindset. What do we do?Cancel the benefits and let them starve? Put them into a slave labour camp? Or do we start to generate work that the community will benefit from in years to come? In doing the latter we will teach them new skills and how to survive or do we just wait for Private Enterprise to create all the work for everyone (not going to happen Charlie Brown)?
Screw

Postby Malcolm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Around here the problems seem to be with parents working too long to afford to live. Father might even be working outside the region for weeks or even months at a time. Mother at home but working a full time job for low pay herself. There is no one at home for the kids to provide guidance, companionship, parenting. Too busy paying for the roof over the head and food on the table. food also takes a hit as there is no time or energy to prepare something. Just throw it together quickly to get people fed before the hunger pains set in.

Also the police need to lose the us vs them mentality. They are part of the community and need to act and be treated more like that. The problem seems to be that most people only ever interact with the police in a negative manner. E.G pulled over for speeding/warrant check. Suspected of or victim of a crime etc. Police can very easily be jaded because that is who they deal with every day. If the beat cops spent more time walking the beat, just having small friendly interactions with people out and about every day it would help. They would also get a better feel of what is happening in a community and people would be more forthcoming with information. They could stop a lot of crime before it escalates to something serious. But that would require a lot more resourcing and more officers. Therefore more tax so it will never happen.
Malcolm

Postby Weasel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Send them to LA or Chicago, that'll give the wannabes some perspective on what they think they are emulating. They might realise they don't have it so bad after all.

Kidding aside, its mostly a social problem, these kids grow up in broken families with deadbeat parents, and in places with nothing to do (NZ is a craptaular place to grow up on the poor side of the fence, and there are limited economic opportunities compared other western countries) they are a product of their environment. They go and form their own club where they feel they can belong, and if thats causing trouble and having a problem with everything to get attention then thats what they'll do.
Weasel

Postby roygbiv » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

I must be an apprentice old fart too, I can't see anything wrong with what you are saying. But, would like to add from observation that there are no set boundaries for youngsters due to being brought up by single parent families by parents of the same background, or whatever. Plus, the necessity of taking responsibility for ones actions seems to be lacking. If you do something right or extremely well you may be rewarded, likewise if you do something wrong or bad then expect some consequence or punishment.
It seems that having learned this basic concept is necessary to turn child into adult, I know some children who are over 25.

With that does this make me a fully fledged old fart :D
roygbiv

Postby Muz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 am

Here in Havelock (the real one - in the South Island) we had two young cops. They were related by marriage and got on together really well. They practiced old fashioned policing when they weren't required to be out on the road meeting their quota.

They often walked around town and spoke to locals and tourists alike. They wanted to be easily accessible so their cars were only used locally when necessary. They maintained a very high profile, knew all the bad buggers and tried their hardest to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Unfortunately the bosses in Blenheim didn't like one of our boys and made life very uncomfortable. Eventually the micro-managing drove one of the team to hand in his resignation and leave the force.

NZ has lost a great cop and although the two guys we have here now are still good cops, they are either out in their cars or buried in paperwork all the time.
Muz

Return to Today's column