Criminals running free (28 Aug, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Criminals running free (28 Aug, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:04 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0828.shtml

If I start a company called "Crime Inc Ltd" and rob a bank, will I (as a director or employee), escape prison or penalty by claiming "I was just operating under directions from the company"?

Of course not

So why are the GCSB employees who made the conscious decision to spy on Kim Dotcom and scores of other NZ residents not facing a penalty now that the GCSB has been ruled to have acted illegally by engaging in such spying?

Why is it that Kim Dotcom (despite NOT having been convicted of the charges that the US government has brought against him) is the one being penalised (by way of having his livelihood destroyed, his assets seized and his movement restricted) -- yet those who the courts have clearly ruled to have acted illegally (GCSB employees) are completely unpunished?

Doesn't this fly completely in the face of how we've been taught the justice system works?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Criminals running free (28 Aug, 2017)

Postby Screw » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 am

Ha, you think that the GCSB works within the Justice System, you jest of course!

The Spooks don't abide by the same rules as we do.
Screw

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:29 am

Screw wrote:The Spooks don't abide by the same rules as we do.

You are correct Screw... clearly parliament has passed special laws for the GCSB... I'm talking about the ones that the courts have ruled they broke.

My point is... why even bother with this farce?

Clearly those laws are pointless... given that they are not going to be enforced beyond a simple acknowledgement that they were broken.

Outrageous!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby JonL » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 am

Don't expect any other government in power to rescind those laws, or enforce them! The laws are as about as effective as the "mission statements" that are plastered over walls everywhere...... all for show to keep those who care satisfied, but, not to be implemented.
JonL

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:44 am

Always been a worry: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

It's meant to be overseen / controlled by Ministers, but when the ministers themselves are pretty much acting as lapdogs to foreign corporates then an election is our only hope (I gave up on media investigations shining a light in dark places when said ministers were able to unseat investigative media journalists).
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Malcolm » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 am

But wait there's more. It seems not just the GCSB is operating outside of our laws. The Police have apparently unlawfully snooped on a private citizen's bank account as part of a wider probe. This apparently caused some real life issues as well as distress for the individual involved.
Malcolm

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:22 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Doesn't this fly completely in the face of how we've been taught the justice system works?

You didn't believe that did you?

I, for one welcome our new GCSB overlords, and as I've done nothing wrong, I know I have nothing to fear...
Hiro Protagonist

Postby goosemoose » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am

Don't forget that Mr Dotcoms crime was embarrassing The Rt Hon Sir John Key, Phd, Companion of the Order of Australia. Even more than all those bullshit worthless titles he got other people to award to him do. Actually the bigger crime is how scoundrel Key got those titles.
goosemoose

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Malcolm wrote:But wait there's more. It seems not just the GCSB is operating outside of our laws. The Police have apparently unlawfully snooped on a private citizen's bank account as part of a wider probe. This apparently caused some real life issues as well as distress for the individual involved.

You're right, things are getting way beyond a joke in this country.

The "powers that be" are now regularly acting "above the law", multinational corporations need pay little or no tax and too many of our politicians believe they need not operate to the same standards of culpability as the rest of us -- but the little guy is continually being hammered.

It'll probably get a lot better before it gets worse and the worrying thing is that it's a bit like an earthquake... if the tension builds too much before it's released, the results can be violent and nasty.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby mad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:22 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Why is it that Kim Dotcom (despite NOT having been convicted of the charges that the US government has brought against him) is the one being penalised (by way of having his livelihood destroyed, his assets seized and his movement restricted)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11903692
Eccentric internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has spent the weekend in Queenstown house-hunting.
The tech mogul, who is fighting extradition to the United States, stayed in Eichardt's Private Hotel's $10,000-a-night hotel apartment The Penthouse.
Dotcom tweeted pictures and video of himself and partner Elizabeth Donnelly enjoying the high life in the resort with captions including "Moving to Queenstown", "Good morning from Queenstown" and "Love of my life".

yeah looks likes he is having a real hard time......
mad

Next

Return to Today's column