Buying the media (13 Sep, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Re: Buying the media (13 Sep, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 am

I'm not so sure Phill. Look at the way people's viewing patterns are changing.

Many kids today don't give TV a second glance... they *live* on their phones and tablets and that's where they get all their news.

Older folk are finding it increasingly difficult to schedule free-time to coincide with things such as the 6 O'clock news on TV. To date they have used the VCR/DVR to time-shift if they really want to watch that stuff but increasingly they're just going online to get the latest news when and where it is convenient to THEM.

Commercial radio has survived mainly because of talkback and drive-time shows which can be accessed while on the run. People are far less likely to watch FTA TV broadcasts while "on the run" -- such as during the drive to/from work.

FTA linear broadcast TV will soon become a very small thing and I can't see TVNZ ever returning to the state where it delivers any sensible dividend to the taxpayer. So, if it's not delivering dividends and it's not serving the loftier goal of delivering quality local programming... let's flick it while we still can. Once the FTA market crashes (as it will), we won't be able to *give* TVNZ away so all that taxpayer equity will be lost forever.

Remember.. you'll get pinged if you underpay your income tax by $100 or are overpaid by WINZ a similar amount -- but I dare say the government will simply dismiss the loss of hundreds of millions in TVNZ value as being "unavoidable". Cue Tui's ad. Sell now!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

sad but probably true

im just trying to avoid thinking about a world where everyone is horribly non or misinformed

fta did provide some commonality for social interaction
what will become with the totally disjointed experiences / 'thinking' streaming provides
we are already sadly withdrawing from social interaction .. how much further can we go

oops "we are already sadly withdrawing from social interaction "

i should have said
we are already sadly withdrawing from REAL social interaction
Last edited by phill on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phill

Postby phord » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I listen to RNZ live, podcasts, etc, while doing other things.
It's less demanding than TV.
Their content is better because they don't have to focus on producing visual content.

It's interesting that Jonh Campbell's Checkpoint programme is a video production.
But it is low budget, and that doesn't matter.
They only use boring office furniture.
Still photos are shown for long periods of time.

When looking at old TV footage from the 70s, the props were more humble than now.
https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/tonight-muldoon-interview-1976
phord

Postby Screw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm

`There are still many people who don't have an Internet connection and have no interest in one. They are the TV watchers. I know many of them personally, they don'r have a computer, usually have an el-cheapo phone for calls not flicks.

The USA still has it's PBS, the Britz still have the BBC, Canadians still have CBS and so on.

TVNZ and Mediaworks are for-profit companies (although TVNZ is a SOE) and they are only interested in their profit margins.
Screw

Postby GoGijoe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm

I talked to a guy, he said Holmes effectively killed proper investigative tv journalism in this country. they would spend months working storys, then Holmes would in a half hour say some things present a half story with out the proper depth of study or background checking.

essentially long running investigative journalism takes far to long costs to much and is killed commercial by a rapid half story commentary type shows that can respond quickly, do it more cheaply, and garner more eye balls because of the sensationalism.

that's why we have the types of news shows we do now.

tv is doomed in this country, You tube is actually awash with full length movie and tv rips.
GoGijoe

Postby greven » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 pm

What happens to freeview if the biggest player in the joint venture becomes privatised & decides the underlying infrastructure doesn't need to be maintained to such a high standard?
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 am

greven wrote:What happens to freeview if the biggest player in the joint venture becomes privatised & decides the underlying infrastructure doesn't need to be maintained to such a high standard?

It becomes a perfect example of National's favourite darling: Market Forces

Either MF are good or MF are bad... can't have it both ways eh?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Today's column