Battle of the titans (28 Sep, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Battle of the titans (28 Sep, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/0928.shtml

When companies go head-to-head in the marketplace, customers usually come out the winner.

Wars fought on the basis of pricing, performance and service deliver really impressive up-sides to consumers -- but if the two juggernauts going head-to-head are Google and Amazon, quite the reverse happens. That's because they're not really playing fair.

Who holds the high ground in this latest skirmish?

Is Amazon being unreasonable/unethical by creating a YouTube player for its Echo product which circumvents the advertising and thus deprives Google of revenues?

Or is Google being very selective in who it "turns off" by hitting Amazon while Kodi add-ons are probably a much bigger hit on the bottom-line?

And what's your choice of Android 7 tablet with 5G wifi support (at a knock-down price)?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Battle of the titans (28 Sep, 2017)

Postby Weasel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am

Why does the customer have to be the winner? The customer and the data collected about them is the product these companies are then reselling elsewhere (selling them [the customer] a tangible product for a profit is just a bonus). The winners are the shareholders.
Weasel

Postby hagfish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 am

Another example is the Amazon App on the Apple store. You can use it to do anything.. except buy something. Amazon doesn't want to give Apple their taste, so the app is utterly pointless.

People using tvaddons have demonstrated that they aren't going to pay for content - be it from YouTube Red or from Amazon Prime. Google doesn't have to pay for distribution or support for those people, and they may get the odd convert who 'comes in from the cold', so it's all gravy. Particularly since the dropbox system is tipping over all by itself.

Amazon Prime subscribers have demonstrated that they are prepared to pay for content. Paying customers will be of much more interest to Google, Apple, Netflix - anyone charging a sub. These customers are likely already paying for Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, probably a cable bundle (Game of Thrones!), maybe Hulu... My feeling is that four or five subscriptions is 'enough'. Before people will sign up to YouTube Red, something's gotta go, and Google wants it to be Prime.

One thing's for sure - there's a big fight for the living room underway.

As for mobile devices, my approach would be to get an iPhone Plus 6S when they come up for cheap on 1-day.co.nz, and pat myself on the back every day for the next five years.
hagfish

Postby Stevesub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am

As for your new tablet Bruce, my post from yesterday

We have been happy with Samsung for many years, not much in the way of updates once they are 6 months old but all have been good phones/tablets. We have 2 x S5, 1 x J5, 1 x S3 phones, 1 x Tab2 (old and for sale) 1 x TabS and 1 x TabA (new) tablets. 4 phones and 3 tablets going back many years. Samsung even fixed the TabS tablet when it was out of warranty free of charge.

The only apps we use are basic ones from the Google Play store and over many years, we have never had a malware problem. - yet. You just need to get your mindset around the fact that updates to apps will happen on a regular basis but updates for the tablet will not happen after a short period of time, we just live with it. We have had security updates from time to time on the newer devices but they are still a long way apart. We do not root our devices (never felt the need) which is another option if you wish.
Stevesub

Postby phill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 am

what price are you looking at for the Lenovo Tab 4 Plus ( aka .. whats the budget ? )
and what features / bugs do you want / need ?

i agree with hag where a smart phone is an option ( leave out the sim if you want )
but im not favouring an i dick so much

if you have a screen available you can also consider a tv box
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VONTAR- ... 62166.html
just bought this one
seems ok
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby par_annoyed » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 am

I just bought an end-of-line small HP "Stream" Laptop with 10 inch screen and SSD (I hate tablets - I want a keyboard with keys, and a mouse which plugs in) for just about half price (yes, really) with the dreaded Windows 10, but I simply overwrote it with Linux, and after a little bit of fiddling around, it now all works perfectly.....It's easy to write a bootable image to a USB stick, and you are all set. Primarily this is for keeping in touch when on hols....but much better (to me) than a tablet, and it's pretty light as well (~ 1kg)

If you have a screen/TV with HDMI I wonder if a Raspberry pi 3 may be the cheapest way to go ?
It has Wireless, Ethernet and 4 usb ports as std, and is both tiny and very cheap....and has lots of accessories (touch screen even !!)

I think more and more comedy programs are going to mess with your Google Home or Alexa - South Park proved it's all too easy. I would never have one.
par_annoyed

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am

The need for the tablet springs from the increasing number of drones and stuff that require android or Apple apps in order to work. Even some of the newer HD recording cameras can't be configured without a suitably hi-spec'd tablet or phone and now some of this stuff requires 5GHz Wifi support to work so the el-bugeto tablet/phone offerings just aren't high enough spec.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am

trying not to hammer a point
but
any number of el cheapo chinese phones
around 200 nz are running 5g wifi
with plenty of processing to back them up
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am

phill wrote:trying not to hammer a point
but
any number of el cheapo chinese phones
around 200 nz are running 5g wifi
with plenty of processing to back them up

Examples?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 am

for a start the phone i mentioned yesterday
and the tv box
both run 5g wifi

first off settle on a form ( tab / phone / box /watch ) you can use and then i can do some searching for the closest specs at price
phill

Next

Return to Today's column