Doing my bit (6 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Doing my bit (6 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1006.shtml

Just when you though our council could make themselves look any worse, now they seem to be totally unable to accept that someone (like myself) would invest so much time, effort and money into an event that stands to be of financial benefit to so many, yet not expect to make money myself.

What a tragic bunch of people we have running this town.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Doing my bit (6 Oct, 2017)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Let me guess - these are 'part-time' councillors, ie they run their own business(es) as well, so got into local politics to better assist their own financial climate?
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby BruceNZ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Just when you though our council could make themselves look any worse, now they seem to be totally unable to accept that someone (like myself) would invest so much time, effort and money into an event that stands to be of financial benefit to so many, yet not expect to make money myself.

Is there a way to structure a fly-in so that the finances are transparent to all concerned (council included)?
BruceNZ

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

BruceNZ wrote:Is there a way to structure a fly-in so that the finances are transparent to all concerned (council included)?

The whole thing was going to be totally transparent with the books open for everyone to see. However, this council will not see what it chooses not to see.... like the 150+ people on the Facebook group who'd already said they'd like to come.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby BruceNZ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:51 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:The whole thing was going to be totally transparent with the books open for everyone to see. However, this council will not see what it chooses not to see.... like the 150+ people on the Facebook group who'd already said they'd like to come.

Easy for me to say from where I'm sitting, but ask them the question: "what structure and transparency and accountability would satisfy you to such a degree that we could make this happen?" and see what the response is.

150+ people on FB with good intentions doesn't translate to something tangible that the Council can bank on. You'd need some kind of graduated commitment process from everyone:

- Work with the Council to approve a graduated process (like this) that they're happy with
- Determine a tentative date for the event
- Ask the FB respondents (and others - advertise widely) to commit to the tentative date
- If numbers justify it and Council agrees, you have an event
- Ask the participants to commit some money as a non-refundable bond or entry fee, to an account handled by an approved third party - a trustee organisation of some sort
- Start the NOTAM (or whatever is required) process
- You'd probably need some further commitment step from participants - a participation ticket to be purchased or something similar

Basically you want some way of racheting up commitment from each party. Council won't play ball based on good intentions on FB and your credibility, and people can't commit until Council approve such an event, so you have an impasse until you can agree to some way to resolve it. The above may be one way to do this I reckon. Remember the Council mantra (CYA), and give them some way to achieve this without loss of face or cost if it doesn't come to pass.
BruceNZ

Postby hiscoca » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Well Said BruceNZ.
The reason Council sees it as a commercial venture is Bruce has publicly stated he earns $40k a year from his Video blog activities and they see this event as nothing more than Bruce ramping this income
hiscoca

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 pm

hiscoca wrote:Well Said BruceNZ.
The reason Council sees it as a commercial venture is Bruce has publicly stated he earns $40k a year from his Video blog activities and they see this event as nothing more than Bruce ramping this income

LOL... and this is a council that proudly states that it supports local businesses and encourages new businesses.

Sigh!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Why Bother?

Postby Perry » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

In addition to telling ratepayers how important their views are - shortly before ignoring them and doing what they'd planned to do, all along - I wonder if the council numpties also complain about low "voter-turnout" or limited "community engagement?"
Perry

Return to Today's column