The harder we work, the slower we go? (9 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

The harder we work, the slower we go? (9 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:04 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1009.shtml

Are technology breakthroughs taking much longer to go from lab to "every-day" devices these days?

What is the breakthrough that has disappointed you most in terms of actually delivering on the promises made for it?

Are researchers now forced to play the hype game in order to attract funding for the R&D of potentially promising technologies?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: The harder we work, the slower we go? (9 Oct, 2017)

Postby Muscular Jam » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 am

aardvark_admin wrote:What is the breakthrough that has disappointed you most in terms of actually delivering on the promises made for it?
Anyone remember the LS120 super drive? Backwards compatible with your 3.5 FDD but also read its own 120 MB discs. Brilliant idea, but the zip drive kneecapped it and cd-roms provided the final shot to the head, but not before I bought one!
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am

I suspect it outlived the ZIP drive though. Like everyone else's, mine succumbed to "the click of death" within 6 months of purchase. All that stuff on those disks rendered inaccessible. The world's worst backup medium! :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Weasel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

Flying cars might work if they were fully autonomous - people can barely safely control a car on a flat road, let alone left/right, and up/down. The other problem to solve with flying cars is a cheap and convenient internal energy source for them, and what problem are these things supposed to solve? commuting to work? That can be done with investment in rail based mass transit - an existing and proven technology. On a recent trip to London after having last been there over 10 years ago I once again marveled at the London Underground - the number of people that system moves around every day is impressive.
Last edited by Weasel on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel

Postby hagfish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am

A scientific breakthrough is all very well, but it can take time for that to translate into a fully-fledged industry. For automobiles to supplant horses, it took a network of service stations, manufacturing techniques like mass production, and broad social acceptance. Once it got underway, tho, the change was rapid, as evinced by the photos of New York below - taken only 13 years apart.

vs

There are a few hurdles autonomous EVs have to clear, but once they do, surely it will be MUCH sooner than 13 years before we are playing 'spot the meat-driven dino-car'. I think they'll be hard to find by 2025.
hagfish

Postby par_annoyed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I bet that if there was a photo of the farms and rural areas of 1913, there would still be a majority of horses.
Similarly I agree that majority of EVs in cities are likely not that far away, but out in the sticks it will take longer to get rid of the dino powered engine.
I see that as a function/result of EV limited range and fewer charging stations, but I'm sure it will change too, just more slowly.

Breakthroughs - can't say anything in particular disappointed me, but often anything 'new' tends to be unreliable and faulty for a while. It's simply the nature of new inventions.
I have no doubt EVs will drive better high cap battery designs, which will feed back into EVs, and probably off grid living as well.

It used to be there were 'good' and 'crappy' electronics (radios etc), but now we all know there's probably only one source for all the chips inside.....so it's just the case and fixings etc.
Like flat screen TVs .. aren't all the LED screens made in the same factory (or perhaps 2 factories) ?
par_annoyed

Postby greven » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Is the electricity network equipped to handle a mass adoption of EVs for the daily short commute?
Subsidised solar panels would probably be the easiest way to boost production, but then you have the problem of the EVs sitting in a parking lot nowhere near a charging station during peak power production.
greven

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 pm

That's why all parking buildings should have PVAs on the roof and a percentage of spaces that have charge-stations. As the EV percentage of the fleet grows, so can the resources to support them.

If your vehicle can get a good (cheap) charge while it's parked during the day while you work then you can actually take that energy home with you and use it to supplement the grid when you're cooking tea and loading is at peak.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm

im waiting for someone to
develop quad software where i can watch listen and control a quad around a factory / tourist site in europe or indeed anywhere in real time
then start a firm for international customers
spectacle events and major attractions should be a go
grand prix / horse racing .. grand canyon / Eiffel tower etc

im working on a closed energy cycle
involving steak, methane cow burps and me
not there yet .. but im trying
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Return to Today's column