News from your ISP and power company? (11 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

News from your ISP and power company? (11 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:48 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1011.shtml

Is Stuff damaging the integrity of the Fourth Estate by becoming a player in two unrelated markets on which it reports?

How can we have any confidence that reports on other power companies or ISP's activities aren't tainted with a hint of commercial self-interest, given that Stuff itself is now a player in these industries?

Why has their been so little outcry from within and outside the news industry over this apparent conflict of interests?

Or will Stuff simply recuse itself from reporting on those industries and thus become an even worse place to get your news?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: News from your ISP and power company? (11 Oct, 2017)

Postby roygbiv » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 am

If Stuff were the only source of news and information then your point would be very valid. But, like you and I, most people will browse a number of web sites in order to be fully informed of the days events and current affairs and of these 'interested companies'. Knowing of their vested interests as it will be in the public domain and reading a related article, I would seek similar coverage from another news source for comparison. If I determined that Stuff were biased then it would devalue the reputation and news-worthyness of Stuff in my eyes. And perhaps that of similar type of reader, who would perhaps would visit their web-site less. Not good for their advertisers.
Hence, for them to show a (obvious) bias would have a risk of being self defeating.

But, there are many who derive their news from social media and follow links (to Stuff) from those sources. Thus, Stuff would have to play the social media game, far less straight forward. It would be a far greater concern should Stuff diversify and invest in shares of the likes of FaceBook etc.
roygbiv

Postby Malcolm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 am

roygbiv wrote:If Stuff were the only source of news and information then your point would be very valid. But, like you and I, most people will browse a number of web sites in order to be fully informed of the days events and current affairs and of these 'interested companies'. Knowing of their vested interests as it will be in the public domain and reading a related article, I would seek similar coverage from another news source for comparison. If I determined that Stuff were biased then it would devalue the reputation and news-worthyness of Stuff in my eyes. And perhaps that of similar type of reader, who would perhaps would visit their web-site less. Not good for their advertisers.
Hence, for them to show a (obvious) bias would have a risk of being self defeating.

But, there are many who derive their news from social media and follow links (to Stuff) from those sources. Thus, Stuff would have to play the social media game, far less straight forward. It would be a far greater concern should Stuff diversify and invest in shares of the likes of FaceBook etc.

You assume most people get their news from a diverse range of sources. However that is simply not true. Most people only go to a few familiar news sources. They also tend to distrust news from other sources not their primary. Look at the US for an extreme example. A huge number of people onyl watch Fox News, leading to a highly distorted world view. Others watch Fox mixed in with some of the even more outrageous ones like InfoWars etc. Social media tends to amplify this somewhat as they will be friends/followers of similar people following similar news sources. So once again they will only see information within their own bubble. This can often lead to groupthink and shunning of outside points of view.
Malcolm

Postby roygbiv » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Malcolm wrote: You assume most people get their news from a diverse range of sources. However that is simply not true. Most people only go to a few familiar news sources. They also tend to distrust news from other sources not their primary. Look at the US for an extreme example. A huge number of people onyl watch Fox News, leading to a highly distorted world view.

I do make this assumption but is more valid than that of the Fox News example, as those US TV/cable news channels are acknowledged to traditionally have certain affiliations. Plus, they do rely on their core loyal viewers for their ratings. I know of nobody that will only look at a single web site for their only source of news, let alone that site being Stuff. It is the nature of people who use the net - they surf.
roygbiv

Postby par_annoyed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm

wait....Stuff has adverts ?? (which is why I use NoScript with my Firefox).
par_annoyed

Postby phill » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm

are any of them interested in impartial investigative journalism anymore
it seems they are just after the sensationalized reality program watching demographic
and thats the guidelines they use
so they dont see any need for standards
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby 4765656B » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:49 am

wait....Stuff has adverts ??

The Herald has adverts?
http://mobile.nzherald.co.nz

That's right, bare minimal text version they provide themselves. Occasionally it doesn't 100% make sense due to picture captions without the picture but it works pretty well for just reading the articles.
4765656B

Return to Today's column