A stroke of genius (12 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A stroke of genius (12 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1012.shtml

Those cunning Ruskies!

But what is it about AV software manufacturers that leads them to the dark side? Too many hackers on the team perhaps?

And how ironic it is that the biggest losers in the latest Kaspersky fiasco might just be Big Brother himself?

Is there any way at all to keep data on a computer system safe from prying eyes these days?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A stroke of genius (12 Oct, 2017)

Postby phill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am

i figured kaspersky had more power than advertised when it always seemed to be them that found the us spy programs
( you have to figure then that if the ruskies are doing it the yank club will be as well )
since then it has always been a tossup if i wanted to protect myself from the yank consortium or the russians

to believe in complete protection was always going to be unrealistic
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Malcolm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am

AV software is bad, by necessity it runs at the highest privilege level. Then there are case where time and time again flaws are found in the software which open the machine up at that privilege level.
Have a look at the work by Tavis Ormandy. He seems to have a habit of finding these holes in AV software. I think it is a case of all software is bad, AV software is worse.
Malcolm

Postby goosemoose » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Those cunning Ruskies!

Or is it? :twisted:

This being the murky world of intelligence and commerce could this be a double bluff. Or triple bluff. Or the hyper-converged reverse AI bluff. America in tight with Israel, Israel find stuff/Russians for America. Or Russia plants stuff to show up Israel. Or American AV businesses need a leg up. Or Fiji needs some favours so plants some stuff. Well that last one might be a bit off but do we really know the truth. At least all the agencies will be running around trying to out smart each other they make take their eye off the ball. That of spying on their citizens.

This week AV next week something else.
goosemoose

Postby Weasel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am

NetBSD and specifically whitelisting outgoing network connections among other things..

But then there is that Intel Management Engine, AMD also bake something similar into their chips..

Next up, open source CPU, and coding your own OS, might be the only way to be sure.. but can you be certain? No, by this point you're going to be sufficiently paranoid about everything.

I think the best bet is just be someone un-interesting with nothing to hide.
Weasel

Return to Today's column