Elon Musk's Hype-loop (13 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Elon Musk's Hype-loop (13 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1013.shtml

Is the Elon Musk Hyperloop just a flight of fantasy -- or could it be the fantastic super-speed travel system of the future?

How will they mitigate the terrorist risk that comes from having all that exposed vacuum tubery stuck out in the middle of nowhere and susceptible to a rifle bullet or stick of dynamite?

Given the huge capital cost, might the Hyperloop become the 21st century equivalent of the Concorde... never really paying its way and ultimately turning into a white-elephant when it comes time to really start investing in preventative maintenance?

And is Richard Branson just demonstrating his eccentricity by dumping some of his own cash into the venture?

Hyperloop -- fantastic or just fantasy?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Elon Musk's Hype-loop (13 Oct, 2017)

Postby latewings » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 am

If it's a MagLev in a vacuum then he could double his returns by using it as a particle accelerator when the trains aren't running. :D
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am

Good point... travel for the dis-CERNing :-)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 am

aardvark_admin wrote:Good point... travel for the dis-CERNing :-)

:lol:

As for terrorists, that also reminds me of other mega-engineering projects, particularly the Skyhook and Space Elevator proposals: once a material strength solution has been found, it will still be too big a target for terrorism to be practical.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Glenn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 am

Cough, cough,

I think Sir Richard forgets.
Virgin Galactic - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Galactic
Virgin Galactic is a spaceflight company within the Virgin Group. It is developing commercial .... However, Branson still announced his spaceship would be capable of "launching 100 satellites every day". On May 14, 2013, Richard Branson ...

Meh... and as for the Terrorists you speak of maybe the USA should get back to the War on Drugs or just generally terrorising its own Citizens. Seems to work for now.

Glenn.
Glenn

Postby phill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am

experimentally its a fabulous idea and will work really well
we could even miniaturize it and use it to send sausage rolls or paperwork around the place
phill

Postby Malcolm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

One analysis I saw was people won't be comfortable getting in to a narrow, windowless tube to be hurtled along underground at ridiculous speeds. Especially since the margins for the tunnel diameter will be very tight. A few CMs clearance around the carriages I think is being mentioned. So it won't be a practical people mover. Goods on the other hand will probably work. Can be subjected them to higher G forces so the initial acceleration can be higher, similar for the deceleration at the other end. If they can cheaply move a lot of goods very quickly it will take a lot of big trucks off the roads which will be a major benefit.
If a carriage full of chinese made clothes bound for the local Warehouse store crashes, the only people upset will be the insurance provider.
Malcolm

Postby roygbiv » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Call me a cynic but don't we have this method of transport already. Where people get into a metal cylinder and it travels through a very low pressure environment to a destination thousands of Km away. It is called an aeroplane, it has the advantage of travelling over water, and it is the safest form of travel. IF the science stacked up and IF it was actually built given a choice I would use the tried and tested form of speedy long distance travel.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes Roy, but pretty soon there won't be anyone sitting up front flying those planes... they're all going to be automated. Hijacking will become the job of the hacker rather than the terrorist with box-knives.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby roygbiv » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Yes Roy, but pretty soon there won't be anyone sitting up front flying those planes... they're all going to be automated.

I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. That proposal is going to be a very hard sell indeed to the flying public for the very reason that you state. Plus, it will be a valid reason not to use the Hype-loop, just imagine being in a pod en-route that has stopped for some reason or other and will not start again.
roygbiv

Next

Return to Today's column