Fantastic news from SkyTV (17 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Fantastic news from SkyTV (17 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1017.shtml

Sarcasm? Moi?

Okay, so I'm taking the piss out of Sky TV's announcement yesterday that it, in partnership with Vodafone, was launching an Internet TV service.

Are they really serious?

Who the hell comes up with this crap -- the wrong product and three years too late!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Fantastic news from SkyTV (17 Oct, 2017)

Postby latewings » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:23 am

I invite both parties to enjoy pleasurable travel, taking this polished excretion with them.

I'll continue to enjoy my 'price of a bottle of wine a month' simple, effective and functional Netflix instead.
latewings

Postby phill » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 am

im suitably impressed by this radical new offering
and can easily see myself spending as much on their online offerings as i do on their more tradition servings
phill

Postby Geoffm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

We have sky - not my choice but outvoted in the family. Why don't we have Netflix? Because Chorus is unable or unwilling to provide an internet service to our place, 45km from the Auckland CBD. Their broadband checker says 2MB ADSL only and their techs say the line is so bad you wont even get that. The day after we get 20th century broadband, Sky is gone.
I know I am not the only one in this boat.
Geoffm

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 am

Yup, $100+/month for Fibre+Sky+Netflix, and in 6 month's time they'll drop the fibre as they're a media streaming company and broadband provision was getting too hard so you'll need to get that from somewhere else. But don't worry, you're still locked in to the $100/month for another 6.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby Weasel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

Its common for content providers as part of the deal with a broadcaster for a popular channel, also include several other channels. Not to say that broadcasters don't bundle channels, but its also not solely under their control.
Weasel

Postby joeseph » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 am

Geoffm wrote:We have sky - not my choice but outvoted in the family. Why don't we have Netflix? Because Chorus is unable or unwilling to provide an internet service to our place, 45km from the Auckland CBD. Their broadband checker says 2MB ADSL only and their techs say the line is so bad you wont even get that. The day after we get 20th century broadband, Sky is gone.
I know I am not the only one in this boat.

if it helps, someone I know in Karaka has just moved from Voda dsl (~3M on a good day) to Wireless Broadband (easily 15M & Netflix friendly)
needed an external LTE antenna, but seems pretty solid at this stage. see: https://wirelessnation.co.nz/rural/prod ... i-wireless
joeseph

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am

Wow.. that's pretty spendy compared to Skinny's 4G wireless broadband option (about $52 a month for 100GB at 4G speeds of around 40Mbps download).

https://www.skinny.co.nz/broadband/

I'm using it at the hangar and although it's slowed down a lot at peak-times since I first started using it (because so many others are also using it), it remains pretty useful and YouTube HD stuff plays without buffering so it should be good for Netflix -- so long as you watch your data use -- but you can buy more data in 100GB chunks via top-ups if you need to.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby roygbiv » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

We have the basic Sky subscription and may continue for the foreseeable, reasons being:
1. The good lady 'er indoors likes the Living Channel
2. We both like the UK channel and BBC news channel
3. If our internet goes down then we can still do 1+2 via satellite dish

So Vodafone/Sky's great announcement is completely irrelevant for us plus there does appear to be some strings attached. All just to replace my satellite dish which to date has provided a reliable service.
If anyone knows how I can get UK channel then I will quite happily kick Sky into touch and replace with Freeview decoder to get the FTA stuff.
roygbiv

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Well if you want UK TV channels (and a heap of other live-streamed channels from around the world) then you can use a Kodi ad-on and watch content from: https://www.filmon.com

The UKTV channel as carried by Sky, I suspect you may be able to stream some of that content with a suitable VPN via this site: https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/

Of course most of the drama, comedy and other programmes on UKTV are available via a plethora of KODI plug-ins and you can watch them on-demand rather than "as they are broadcast". I've just binge-watched that series about the guy who goes back to the 1940s and stars Rodney out of "Only Fools and Horses". Great stuff.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column