Youtube content creators are revolting (19 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Youtube content creators are revolting (19 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1019.shtml

YouTube continues to act like a giant arse when it comes to the way it treats its content creators.

The company does what the company wants to do -- with little concern for the wellbeing and future of people who are 100% committed to creating videos solely for publication on this platform -- and that's creating rapidly eroding a vital relationship.

With popular YT creators earning increasingly large percentages of their revenues from Patreon supporters, some are even turning off the advertising on their channels completely -- in a sign of rebellion against YouTube's unwillingness to listen or consider their wellbeing.

Has this opened the door for a mass-exodus, should a suitably cashed-up competitor come along and make an offer that neither creators nor consumers can resist?

A year ago I'd have said an emphatic "no" to that -- but as time goes on and YT shows no sign of caring about those whose content it relies on for its revenues, I'm not so sure that this couldn't happen.

What do readers think?

Is YT abusing its monopoly and ignoring the effect of this abuse on the long-term relationships that are so crucial to its existence?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Youtube content creators are revolting (19 Oct, 2017)

Postby Stevesub » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am

I was really peed off by YT the other day when I was trying to watch a video, can't remember what is was now but everytime I closed an ad, another appeared etc right through the whole video. These ads were in boxes of text at the bottom of the video.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am

Unfortunately, YT has given creators the ability to use interstitial ads on videos so some vids may have dozens of ads in them and, because the revenues per ad are now so low, far too many creators take the opportunity to really load-up their vids with these awful abominations.

I have made it a policy to only ever have one ad per vid but sadly, many of the channels I subscribe to are really getting carried away with the ad-count, mainly because YT's ever-falling CPM is forcing them to do so in order to stay afloat.

This will be just another factor that drives people (creators and consumers) away from YT and into the arms of any other player that does it *right* by respecting all the parties in such an arrangement.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Stevesub » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:03 am

The number of ad's on YT has put me off that source of entertainment. Lately I have been going back to good old books (ebooks) with no ad's.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 am

That's one advantage of watching YT via KODI... no ads!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby joeseph » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 am

It's often suprising how many companies don't really know which side of the cut to lean their ladder on, when removing branches...
joeseph

Postby roygbiv » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I would not say that YT is abusing its monopoly, more like exploiting it as much as possible, along with its contributors. Their algorithms probably tell them how much they can charge their advertisers and how little they can pay their contributors. They exist to make money and they hold most of the cards.
For me, I object to watching the countdown to 'Skip Ad' on YT and can only see that the number of seconds will increase in order to entice more money from advertisers.
roygbiv

Return to Today's column