A silicon co-processor for your brain? (31 Oct, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

A silicon co-processor for your brain? (31 Oct, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1031.shtml

It's not a matter of "if", it's only a matter of "when"... and I'm talking about the augmentation of human neural capabilities by way of implanted AI-based intelligence co-processors.

I have a feeling that this kind of technology is a lot closer than we might think so are we ready for the myriad of issues that this might create?

Is the future of mankind going to be as a kind of biological/silicon hybrid?

Could this technology provide immense help to those suffering from the effects of dementia, Parkinson's and a raft of other neurological conditions?

Will the augmentation of our own intelligence by way of directly connected AI processors be a fantastic way to advance the pace at which we invent and deploy new technology and the pace at which we learn to understand the universe around us?

Or are we opening a pandora's box that could result in a very real zombie apocalypse?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: A silicon co-processor for your brain? (31 Oct, 2017)

Postby phill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am

as an old cyberpunk / shadowrun player from the 90s
some of us have been waiting for this for awhile

step by step it seems most of what was once ( 20 years ago ) pure imagination is now becoming reality

a lot of the consequences and advantages were thought out in the books and games of the cyberpunk genre

for sure the proliferation of uncontrolled excesses by mega corps is spot on
Last edited by phill on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

Anyone who thinks this will be a practical reality has their head in the cloud.

</I'll see myself out>
latewings

Postby phill » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 am

not so much the head ... just the backup data
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Kiwiiano » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:58 am

As usual, Scott Adams is onto it:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-10-30
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby Muscular Jam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Kiwiiano wrote:As usual, Scott Adams is onto it:
I did wonder if that cartoon was the inspiration for todays column. Schlock Mercenary fans will also be familiar with the character of http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/Doythaban_Gyo
Muscular Jam

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Bruce wrote: . . . to a bit of silicon programmed by a spotty-faced lad feasting on pizza and coca-cola in a dark room somewhere?
Some of the gorgeous European girlie techs at my present web host will cry sexist over that remark, Bruce. ;)
Perry

Postby hagfish » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:25 pm

We can already see the effects of cybernetic brain-augmentation, and it's been going on for quite a while. First we developed speech, so we could pass information down the generations verbally. Eventually writing meant we could pass information to anyone who could read, who had access to the text. Then came libraries - large collections of brain-augmenting information. And the printing press - what a kerfuffle! Presses were so disruptive the first censorship office opened within months, and they were only legalised in the Islamic world during the 19th century.

More recently, of course, the Internet, and the attendant delights of social media have (augmented? enriched?) affected our brains with immediate, personal-ish access to lots of people and 'information'.
admin wrote:I have a feeling that this kind of technology is a lot closer than we might think so are we ready for the myriad of issues that this might create?

All the heartache around hacking, influence-pedalling and dirty tricks we are seeng with Facebook and Twitter will also apply to our Happy Fun Times Neural Laces. They'll lure us in the same way pushed smartphones on everyone under 70 - convenience! safety! entertainment! I can't wait!
hagfish

Postby roygbiv » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:57 pm

It is a great idea, computer augmented brain but in order to do that science has to understand how the brain works - properly.

No doubt we are up to speed perhaps on the computer side but it is this understanding that will take time. Once this understanding unravels it may be a short cut to take a pill like in the film Limitless so as to use all of our brain instead of what we use now. Then, who needs computers !!
roygbiv

Postby paulw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:12 pm

Sounds like a great idea but some Evil little Sod (ELS) will hack it or send a virus and you end up in the H+ scenario. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3Vf8 ... uC_toRYGXg
paulw

Return to Today's column