OMG... the silver Aardvarkians (10 Nov, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

OMG... the silver Aardvarkians (10 Nov, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1110.shtml

Wow... I simply never realised that my readers were aging along with me.

Seeing my grey hair (what's left of it) in the mirror each morning is one thing -- but in my mind, my readers have been ageless... as young and fresh as they were some almost 30 years ago when I started writing this column.

After reading the comments left on yesterday's column, I have to admit that I'm kind of shocked (a little).

However, now that we are *all* old, what aspect of aging pisses you off the most?

And, for those readers who still qualify as "not old", what aspect of aging do you fear the most?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: OMG... the silver Aardvarkians (10 Nov, 2017)

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 am

This is a posting for yesterday's column, I was working on it earlier this morning and just got round to finishing off the links and posting it only to find ACCESS DENIED!!! Whoops! turns out Our Glorious Editor had posted today and this (now?) blocks access to older Forums.

----------------
I, too, was a semi-geek back in the day, well, I did build my first computer (a Dream 6800) from scratch and I have had more email addresses than pairs of trousers, but like everyone hereabouts have slipped further & further behind. I've just ditched an Android smartphone and am going back to the old iPhone 5 that is only 2 clicks away from being declared "vintage" by Apple (the Huawei pulled too many damn silly stunts to be trusted) and my Laptop is a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro that is vintage. I have contemplated replacing it, but don't want to go beyond a 2012 model or risk having all my legacy hard drives rendered inaccessible because Apple abandoned their Firewire connections. I'm stifled there because too many folk on TradeMe have delusions of grandeur as to the value of their 5-year-old laptops.
Our VW Golf is rapidly approaching its Use-By date, I'd prefer to dump it for a Nissan Leaf but doubt that the CEO will approve of such a giant leap into the future. Might have to make do with a clip-on electric drive for the bike.
The TV is NOT smart, it does have a Chromecast and DishTV attached, and even if it is updated to a larger screen for my fading eyesight I won't be going 'smart'. Too many concerns about TVs that have been dumped by their manufacturers as soon as the next model came out, leaving them vulnerable to who-knows-what/who. Ditto for refrigerators, lightbulbs and anything from the IoT.

Of course XKCD has pertinent observations, https://xkcd.com/1305/ and https://xkcd.com/1891/

--------------
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am

Actually, I don't block access to the older forums... must be the work of North Korean hackers!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiwiiano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 am

aardvark_admin wrote:However, now that we are *all* old, what aspect of aging pisses you off the most?

"All the bits that hurt. And the bits that don't hurt don't work!"
Tinnitus is a mild problem, but is dismissed as the sound of cicadas in the trees, the wind blowing thru the pines or distant surf, as appropriate.
Whiskers that grow from the depths of wrinkles below the reach of the shaver.
Skin that seems to shatter if I scrape against something...I'm sure I didn't bleed quite as profusely back in the olden days.
A couple of what the Doc calls "trigger fingers" that click as I bend them then jam as I try to un-bend them. The weird thing is that if I bend just the left middle finger it locks, but if I bend the two fingers on either side of it at the same time, it doesn't lock.....???
A propensity to need a nana-nap in the afternoon...but thinking about it I recall being so dozy after lunch at work back in the nineties and noughties that I really should have taken 15-20mins for a nap and retrieve 2-3 productive hours that were otherwise a right-off.

And, for those readers who still qualify as "not old", what aspect of aging do you fear the most?

Well, at 74 things do creak more than they used to, but I still put in a couple of days a week at the local mega Hardware for play-money. I've out-lived all my recent ancestors except my maternal grandmother who made it to 96 or thereabout although she was AWOL for the last year or so, bless her. The lights were on but no-one was home. Assuming I've inherited her genes I'm planning on living to 100 OR DIE TRYING DAMMIT!!
~ Kiwiiano
“I'm right 98% of the time, so who gives a damn about the other 3%?"
Kiwiiano

Postby roygbiv » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 am

I love new technology, yes my hair is grey and like to use the latest - but within reason. In laptop years my MacbookPro must be 100 now, a 2012 model with an SSD replacing the old hard drive (heart transplant ?), got rid of the DVD drive with second HDD in caddy (hip replacement ?). It actually goes better than the day I got it. Plus it has an i7 processor which is comparable to todays stuff and the only time it worked up a sweat was when I was generating MOBAC files for offline Topo maps for my iPhone.
As for all this social media stuff - it has really passed me by, just not interested in using it. I follow what is being done with it and how other people use it, I even have an account on a few. In fact I made one tweet in the last 6 years - is that a record ?
roygbiv

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am

I missed posting yesterday thanks to work getting in the way of life, but I'm not completely silvered up yet. Yes, can't wait for retirement and having the time to properly address my various passions again (10 yrs, 2 months and xx days - not that I'm counting you understand).

My early years were filled with Airfix models, then Everyday Electronics mags, BBC micro hacks, then it became COBOL programming, FACOMs, Wang VSs, and servers/desktops of various flavours to earn a crust. Real Life(C) then got in the way and it's only now I have a bit of time again in the evenings to re-start hobbies. Breadboards have been replaced with Arduinos and Raspberries, SMT soldering is for younger eyes, and we've jumped from popping down to David Reid for some resisters/transisters/battery connectors to browsing Aliexpress for fun doodads.

So, what's an aging geek to do? When young I had more time than money. Now time is more valuable so I buy a 3D printer that's less than an hour away from first print rather than getting a parts list and spending 2 weeks figuring out why a stepper motor isn't talking to a controller board. Hey, now I can print the parts for the spaceship that Airfix never had a kit for, sweet!

The sobering thing is realising that there are now so many different and deep fields of interest, and thanks to the Internet a wealth of information on them all, that I'll never have the time to properly explore them.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

Getting old ......
I remember a friend of mine saying that for men, what happens is your hair stops growing on your head, and starts growing out of other places instead - ears, nose, and so on. My family all go white very early (like at 40 !!) but males don't seem to go bald.
I have truly retired from work, but still program stuff for fun. Mainly to keep my brain going - I'm having fun with disassemblers at the moment (Older car engine management systems) which combine my tech career with my petrolhead past.
I do find some web sites interesting and thought provoking, science alternatives and so on. I like reading about alternative theories of things. I find the electric universe idea fascinating, because it's just so different to the conventional viewpoint. Some of the "does God exist" books and sites are clever, just for the ideas and processes.
My mind hasn't gone yet, although I do notice I sometimes can't think of the right word or adjective, and I've ALWAYS been truly terrible at remembering people's names. I still fiddle around with little electronics projects now and then, A PC reader for those engine management systems for example...or a power supply for my DIY sound made with car radio on shelf bracket on shed wall....

HA HA HA not seen xkcd 1305 !!! Wonderful !! EXACTLY how I feel about a lot of web sites !!!

Given up on cars, classic and kit (I built a few in UK) because now I end up in muscular spasms after the weird angles, and back pain .... I go cycling often, when I can, it's good exercise, provided you watch out for the idiots driving, but get numb fingers (which didn't used to happen)
I REPAIR household things.... instead of buying new ones (toaster = dry joint, Breadmaker = failed relay, stereo = worn volume pot, etc), fixed my own roof leak about a month ago, and a water leak ....

I guess having to have glasses is a big pain, especially when I put them down somewhere.... having sore joints in my hands after doing something ..... But my brain still works (mostly !) and my wife and I go round the supermarket doing mental maths to keep the price per kilo of various groceries (it's sometimes cheaper to buy 2 small ones....). And I tend to feel cold more often....

My worst fear is my mind going.....even physically reduced I can sit at a screen and keyboard.....

ooh, yeah, I've got the 'clicky'/locking knuckles and tinitus too - headphones help me with music playing....but I still heal very fast (skin on hands is like elephant hide, I guess from all the messing around on cars..)
par_annoyed

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 am

Bruce wrote: I'd really like to know the answer to this... I wonder how many of us have actually retired at all.

I wondered if I was game enough to venture into the local den of iniquity called WINZ (they winz, you lose), if I could ask for several weeks paid annual leave from being retired. Probably not likely to get a warm reception, methinks.

Bruce wrote:So today's question is: what is the most annoying aspect of aging?

Not sure. Seem to need less sleep, which puzzles me. But also gives me more awake hours to get things done. I suspect that general physical flexibility would be close to the top of the me-no-like list.

Hopping over farm fences; maintaining a steady balance when changing footing while slaving over a hot chain saw; twisting to look out the rear window when reversing the car; a lot of other things besides me seem to have got heavier and I know they've haven't grown; short-term memory recall. And so the list goes on.

The RAM may be a bit more leaky, but the CPU is still working as I need it to. Mostly. ;)

Maybe it's time we all joined the local chapter of the Coffin Dodgers Club?
Perry

Postby pctek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:41 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:However, now that we are *all* old, what aspect of aging pisses you off the most?

The vast hordes of professionals who think you are interested in their "life-prolonging" pharmaceutical crap and their tests.

And the job interviewers who think you already have brain rot.
pctek

Postby Perry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm

pctek wrote:The vast hordes of professionals who think you are interested in their "life-prolonging" pharmaceutical crap and their tests. And the job interviewers who think you already have brain rot.

Add the armadas of financial / wealth creation advisers who always clip the ticket before handing you the stub.

If you're lucky.
Perry

Return to Today's column