Ignorance and incompetence rulez! (14 Nov, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Ignorance and incompetence rulez! (14 Nov, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1114.shtml

It seems that our council are once again taking advice from those who know nothing.

They are using an expensive air-traffic monitoring system that (by my calculations) costs ten times as much as it returns and, in the process, have significantly degraded safety at our little airfield.

But hey, they have never listened to me in the past and they consider written statements from CAA to be nothing more than "an opinion" so why should I even bother to try and help them sort this lunacy out?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Ignorance and incompetence rulez! (14 Nov, 2017)

Postby hiscoca » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am

Seems to be a rather imprecise system from your description of it.

The number of calls I hear from people over flying but not approaching could be a problem as well.

In this case I think they had better options
hiscoca

Postby hiscoca » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

Just noticed in its specs it needs broadband, um what broadband at the airport, perhaps they intend installing it that could be good for you if there is a POP added out there
hiscoca

Postby latewings » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

Laughably the number of times I've contacted the phone number in the AIP plate for Tokoroa (as instructed) requesting permission to land I've been met with stony silence. Zip, nada, nothing, not even a confirmation days later apologising for not getting back to me.

So each time I've simply performed a low approach and overshoot, essentially doing everything but put the wheels on the concrete. With AIMM (which I believe is the brainchild of the Lockie brothers who operate Parakai airfield) I always radio my intentions are not to land. Thames once tried to claim I landed, but the GPS data I had showed otherwise. It's a broken system that comes down to a 'he said - she said' argument. I personally don't like it.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 am

Despite what they say in the blurb, there is a lot of human resource required to listen to the calls and create the database of movements -- which is why it is expensive.

A far better option (if you ask me, but the SWDC never will) would be to ditch landing fees altogether. This would encourage more use of the airfield and once you have the traffic then you can look at converting that into something that would benefit the community and local businesses (and provide an *overall* return on the asset which is the airfield). This is *never* going to be a profit-centre for the council so they should stop trying to make it into one and realise that the true benefit is as a method of attracting people to the town where those people can be "exploited" by cafes, shops, or whatever so as to separate them from their money.

It's interesting to see the event calendar for the airfield over the next month or so. Aviation (at least the manned kind) does not figure highly as a use of this facility -- so why go chasing landing fees that will never amount to more than pocket change -- and why spend so much money doing so -- only to further increase the costs of the operation?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

For starters - expecting anything approaching common sense from SWDC, or any Council, for that matter, is futile.

Bruce wrote:What do you do with clowns like this who just have no idea what they're doing?

You join the local branch of the gNats or the sLabs and nominate them as a candidate for parliament.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Oh, karma's a bitch eh?

There was an incident (near miss) at the Tokoroa airfield today resulting from the non-use of radios.

I venture to submit my honest opinion that the SWDC are a bunch of self-serving idiots whose policy of either ignoring anything I say -- or doing exactly the opposite hugely compromises the safety of our airfield and the interests of our community.

ITOLDYASO!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Make sure the fire extinguisher is full and ready to go.
Perry

Postby aardvark_admin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 am

Oh, karma's a bitch eh (repeat).

Yesterday (Sunday 26th November), another aircraft from Ardmore flight school landed at Tokoroa.

No big deal eh?

Well the fact that the runways were closed (NOTAMed and white crosses) and there were cars, a caravan, starting lights, boxes and wiring all over the runway does make it a big deal. What's more, nobody of the half-dozen people or so who were standing within 2m of the radio at the time, heard the pilot make any radio calls before the aircraft appeared on the runway.

Oh the pain for our mayor who, just 10 days ago effectively dismissed my concerns over safety by saying, in front of a full meeting of council "I think I have more faith I guess in human nature and in pilots that they will do the right thing"

Given that this is the second time this year that an Ardmore flight school plane has landed on a closed runway in the middle of a community event, it is clear that the council still has no effective risk management plan in place. Oh, hang on, they promised to have a safety plan for the airfield completed in November.... November 2016 that is! It is still nowhere to be seen.

The lunatics are running the asylum!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:06 am

Bruce wrote:The lunatics are running the asylum!

Must be time for an upwards review of their stipend, surely?!
Perry

Next

Return to Today's column