I am part of a new trend (15 Nov, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

I am part of a new trend (15 Nov, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1115.shtml

Yes, it seems that I am a part of a growing community of "movers (albeit increasingly slowly) and shakers".

With our aging population we're facing a pandemic of elderly suffering from brain-rot in the form of Parkinson's and dementia.

Is there really much point in extending our lives if the quality of that life in the final years is significantly eroded?

I'm glad that those who die at the age of 95 whilst having sex or whilst quietly dreaming of younger days get the extra time -- but do we need a better strategy for dealing with the growing number of folk (like myself) whose final years might not be quite so flash?

And is it true that a cure for Parkinson's is temporally related to controlled nuclear fusion?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: I am part of a new trend (15 Nov, 2017)

Postby Stevesub » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 am

Bugger.

No fun getting old, some of your symptoms are just getting old like loosing strength and the running. Still time to get moving and do stuff while we can, in my case hopefully for the next 10 or 20 years.

However my mother who is in he late 80's has a hell of a life, even though she is in a very expensive private hospital who try their best and are one of the better ones around and I feel sorry for my ex who has a husband with bad dementia.

However I am going to live to 100, or die trying.
Stevesub

Postby aardvark_admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 am

Yeah, if the symptoms had come on gradually I'd have attributed them to general aging... but there's been quite a significant change in 12 short months.
C'est la vie!
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby hagfish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am

When you first mentioned *something* a few months back, I hoped it wasn't Alzheimers, and at least it ain't that. Parki's is definitely a nasty embuggerment, tho. Hopefully it's the 'slow' one. The fact that you are very far from alone means that there's quite a bit of effort going into research. I've seen lots of headlines about it, since my father's diagnosis a while back. There are even apps that can keep an eye on palsies etc, for those who are interested in the body-hack / quantified-self side of things. The swallowing problem sounds horrifying :shock: You're hitting it from a place of spry good health, plus there's your secret weapon: indomitable spirit!
hagfish

Postby par_annoyed » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 am

On yer bike ??

I've never been much of a runner, but do enjoy cycling as exercise. Hills get the heart rate up, even with 21 gears..... Probably the worst thing about cycling here is the idiots behind the wheel of their one tonne (or 30 tonne) vehicles. I've seen a few [adult] trikes around here too, if it starts affecting your balance....

Don't know what it's like around Tokoroa, but not too bad around here in Wairarapa, as long as you're careful. I recently bought a new bike, and have to say the ones with disc brakes stop a LOT faster than the old 'V' brake styles. Useful for emergencies, but still doesn't stop you being forced off the road by a bad driver.
par_annoyed

Postby latewings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:46 am

Is there really much point in extending our lives if the quality of that life in the final years is significantly eroded?

Depends on who loves you.
latewings

Postby phill » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/brain-controlled-gadgets/

lots of things available for the new old
a lot of us have changed what we need to be happy
fewer and fewer need a perfect body and more and more are happy with just a usable mind ( davros may not just be the washer of clothes )
perhaps you can work on mind controlled rc gear

with much better pain control and the likelihood of much more colourful dreams coming
the physical body is no where near as important as it was

sadly we are still amongst the last of the generations that need to die
Last edited by phill on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phill

Postby hagfish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am

phill wrote:sadly we still amongst the last of the generations that need to die

We'll 'upload to the cloud' the old fashioned way
hagfish

Postby Muscular Jam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

aardvark_admin wrote:Is there really much point in extending our lives if the quality of that life in the final years is significantly eroded?
I find myself pondering that question more often as my own health deteriorates. I think quality of life needs to be part of any discussion, not just quantity. This was something Terry Prachett had a lot to say about in his later days.
Muscular Jam

Postby phill » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

agreed
its what is important to each person
steven hawking still seems to be happy .... 1942 - ...... ?
phill

Next

Return to Today's column