How Kodi will end online piracy (28 Nov, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

How Kodi will end online piracy (28 Nov, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1128.shtml

Kodi (with third-party plug-ins) is being blamed for an upturn in the online piracy of movies and TV content.

I think Kodi will be the pivotal piece of disruptive technology that forces these content producers to adopt a Spotify model for distributing that content. If they don't, they will die.

The music industry finally figured it out, now it's the turn of the movie and TV industries.

How long do you think it will take for that penny to drop and will we see all those grossly overpaid actors, producers and directors take their leave of the industry, once they find out they're only going to be paid a "fair" wage for their labour?

Netflix is the first hint at the spotify model working for video/movie content and so far it's working really well for them. Will the others simply hold on to the past until they die?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: How Kodi will end online piracy (28 Nov, 2017)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am

Arrgh - those Kodi extensions are driving me nuts! It seems most of the 'sources' are now hiding behind their own paywalls. 3 months ago I could search for a TV program/movie, select from multiple HD/SD sources, and happily watch while the DVD sat untouched in the drawers in the TV cabinet.
Now it seems that it takes 2-3 goes to get search to find the sources, nearly all of them SD only, and those will freeze 30 seconds into playing or flick to buffuffuffuffuffuffingndttllyunwtchbl. To get back to the reliable sources there's now some form of monthly $ubscription service for the Kodi extensions. To me that is a piracy line I won't cross: paying an unauthorised 3rd party for the streaming source.

Is that a result of MPAA/RIAA playing whack-a-mole and/or those services becoming victims of their own success?
[Edit] or our own ISPs lowering the priority of those specific data packet types? I have 40Gb fibre so streaming Netflix is fine

(BTW, anyone got the DVDs of the last 2 seasons of West Wing? ;-) )
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, the popularity of Kodi/3rd-party will be its downfall. There's just no easy way to monetise it to the degree required to cover the costs involved.

The various dropboxes have realised that they're facing a huge DMCA overhead (all the take-down requests) but, more importantly, they're wasting bandwidth on users who never get to see the adds that free use normally exposes people to.

The only sources I bother with now are EStream, Vidzi and VidTo. They're still free, fast and seem to be in most source lists.

Eventually however, they will also become either overloaded or paywalled.

Come on someone... the model has been proven, all most people want is a simple single payment of $10-$20 a month to legally access all this stuff just like we do with music via Spotify. You'd think that, given the massive market and the run-away success of Netflix, Spotify, AppleMusic etc, there'd be companies working on this right now and ready to roll out such a service.

Sadly, it will be the petulance of the content owners who will delay the inevitable -- probably for years.

However, such delays will simply cement Netflix as not only "the" streaming service but also "the" creator of video content in the online world.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 am

Rather than stream from the net my policy is to buy the dvd/bluray movie then use dvdfab to create an mp4 or ISO of the disk and store that on my NAS server. Therefore I'm not denying the studios the revenue they're after while also bringing the delivery of the media into the 21st century.
latewings

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:00 am

Yeah, I'd thought of that but with several hundred DVDs/Blurays to rip the time required to do so would be more than significant.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby phill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am

from memory a year or so ago there was a choice of 1 kodi type and 1 or 2 xbmc siblings
from a quick search there are now at least
8 kodi types ( forks ) and 5 xbmc siblings ( forks ) ( all working ... apparently )

there is also a non alike set of a few that play after streaming ( terrarium tv types )

and apparently if the blogs are correct they are changing to a type of peer to peer streaming

thats the software part
the server part is another story
more seem available but more and more are using capchas or geo blocking
Last edited by phill on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby Hiro Protagonist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:Now it seems that it takes 2-3 goes to get search to find the sources, nearly all of them SD only, and those will freeze 30 seconds into playing or flick to buffuffuffuffuffuffingndttllyunwtchbl. To get back to the reliable sources there's now some form of monthly $ubscription service for the Kodi extensions. To me that is a piracy line I won't cross: paying an unauthorised 3rd party for the streaming source.

Is that a result of MPAA/RIAA playing whack-a-mole and/or those services becoming victims of their own success?
[Edit] or our own ISPs lowering the priority of those specific data packet types? I have 40Gb fibre so streaming Netflix is fine

Most of the time poor streaming performance is due to the server.

If only there was a way to download instead of stream...
Hiro Protagonist

Postby paulw » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Time the movie industry to learn from the recording industry. Remember when the VCR was coming out and the studios took Sony to court to get it banned as it would kill the movie industry. In fact it saved it with rentals and sell thru but they are still in the 1980s mindset. I'm quite happy to pay for stuff but not when it's regionally blocked to protect some outdated local distribution model.
paulw

Postby Muscular Jam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:22 pm

I agree that no actor is is worth millions for their acting alone. I think that the payments to the "stars" of the acting world function more like a celebrity endorsement. If [insert the name of your favourite ball of hot gas] decided to be in this movie it must be good enough to watch...

Also its always irked me that when I buy a dvd I have to sit through a segment telling me off for potentially being a pirate, but the real pirates get to watch the movie without that.
Muscular Jam

Postby aardvark_admin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Hiro Protagonist wrote:If only there was a way to download instead of stream...

Both Covenant and ShowArize offer download as an option.. but only from some sources.
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Today's column