SkyCo Psycho (30 Nov, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

SkyCo Psycho (30 Nov, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1130.shtml

Are SkyTV serious?

Do they even know what they're doing any more?

If the courts were mad enough to grant them the power they seek (to effectively force ISPs to block any site that Sky deems to be unlawfully distributing content it has rights to) then would we all wake up and find that YouTube was no longer accessible perhaps?

How long before Sky shareholders wake up to the fact that Fellet and his cronies are simply trying to cover their arses by claiming that it's piracy which is causing a mass-exodus of subscribers -- when we all know the real reason people are leaving?

How does someone as obviously "out of touch" and unsuited to manage a technology company in the 21st century manage to get a job as the boss of SkyTV?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: SkyCo Psycho (30 Nov, 2017)

Postby hagfish » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 am

Sky still has its (dwindling) lineup of live sports, but if they lose one in particular, that ought to be enough to deep six the company. If no one interferes (Amazon etc) there may be some satellite bandwidth available soon for a nimble startup. Lots of NZers don't yet have broadband.
hagfish

Postby psycik » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 am

They also screwed the fanpass (ie live sports) model. People that wont subscribe might have been paying for live sports on a daily/weekly basis. They said, no we're losing customers, lets make it so expensive these people that were never going to subscribe wont even pay us the daily rate and it will force then to subscribe. Er no it wont. They'll go somewhere else.

That was actually the start of what could have been an a la carte menu option. Let me pay for a bathurst weekend.....let me pay for a rugby tour, let me pay for a cricket test/tour, let me pay for a tv series. But of course they're too stupid for that. No lets just force everyone to pay $100 a month for ads ads and more ads, and a lot of crap they dont want.
psycik

Postby Stevesub » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 am

I gave up on Sky around 2003 and Foxtel in OZ around 5 years later - both overpriced useless forms of entertainment. I was really peed off with Bathurst this year, mental note still be in OZ when Bathurst is on so I can see it FTA on my TV. I would have paid for it if it was easy but I want to see it on my TV, not via a computer even though I have the broadband capacity and data to stream it. Our so called Smart TV is not that smart dropping our when on broadband so we don't use streamed TV on it now.

I tried Neon for free a while, same old crap. Had Netflix avaialble in OZ for 3 weeks last year, same old crap, Freeview is all we want to watch for our nightly fix. Maybe Amazon Prime with the 3 stooges on The Grand Tour will be considered in the future.

I believe in OZ that a lot of the pirate sites have been blocked by ISP's country wide, well blocked to those without a VPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stevesub

Postby latewings » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 am

As one poster from the Herald article pointed out, piracy is not causing any business issues for Netflix in this country. Anecdotally it appears Netflix's costs and business model have reduced piracy as people can find what they want to watch without the angst of downloading it and facing that rath of the MPAANZ and it's three strikes policy (which is a lame duck now, and Sky's endeavours will follow suit).
latewings

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:46 am

What I can't quite grasp is the definition of piracy, in this context?

Is it really pirated material?

Or is it legitimate content, legitimately accessed, being content that has simply by-passed Sky's monopolistic geo-fencing?
Perry

Postby Stevesub » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

Is it really pirated material?

Or is it legitimate content, legitimately accessed, being content that has simply by-passed Sky's monopolistic geo-fencing?

Exactly.

Geo Fencing of TV series is a pain in the posterior for us where we live in 2 countries. You never seem to see the end of a series, specially one that is shown in only one country without downloading from somewhere or using a VPN's with TV On Demand to view the missing episodes.
Stevesub

Postby phill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am

makes me think the sky ceo / board have shares in a vpn

it would be utterly corrupt .. but it explains a lot
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby aardvark_admin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

I doubt that Fellet and his mates could even spell VPN, let alone run one :)
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Postby latewings » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am

NZHerald and Stuff using Sky content in 30 second clips following a cricket match or some other international that NZ has just won.
latewings

Next

Return to Today's column