Do smart people live longer? (1 Dec, 2017)

Have your say on today's Aardvark Daily column

Do smart people live longer? (1 Dec, 2017)

Postby aardvark_admin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:58 am

This column is archived at: http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2017/1201.shtml

The study cited in today's column points to a link between intelligence and longevity, at a genetic level.

Does my explanation as to how this link may have been forged as part of the evolutionary process sound reasonable?

And does this link explain the seemingly longer than expected lives of Hawking and Einstein (as well as others perhaps)?

Also, have we reached an evolutionary peak?

Is it all downhill from here, due to the fact that we're no longer allowing genetic defects to remove individuals from the reproductive chain (and thus the gene-pool) as they previously have been?

What does this mean to the future of our species -- have we effectively limited ourselves to never be any better than we are right now -- from a genetic standpoint?

Or will we soon become the masters of our own evolution by way of genetic engineering -- in which case, was evolution just the bootstrap process to get us on the path to true perfection?
aardvark_admin
Site Admin

Re: Do smart people live longer? (1 Dec, 2017)

Postby Greg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:12 am

Perhaps this helps explain why some very bright people, who should be long-dead, are still alive

Bugger, that means Donald Trump may still be with us for a quite a while! :(
Greg

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:32 am

Idiocracy [2006] movie:
Narrator: As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
GSVNoFixedAbode

Postby phill » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am

donald is an AI cyborg being tested by darpa
they completely screwed the personality program so for a quick fix used trump as the carrier as few were likely to notice any difference

not sure we have stopped evolving
maybe we will separate into 2 human types ( morlocks and eloi )

if some found how to vastly extend life who and how many would they share it with
to let everyone do it would be disastrous for the planet

the bulk of the super iq's breed with super iq's
so the subset grows
( ,,,,,,,, ....... A E I O U use em sparingly theres probably not enough )
phill

Postby latewings » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 am

<cough>Steve Jobs </cough>

Nutter thought medical science was rubbish and went the mung-beans route with treatable pancreatic cancer.
latewings

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 am

aardvark_admin wrote:The study cited in today's column points to a link between intelligence and longevity, at a genetic level.
The science daily article doesn't. It only said "They found when examining an individual's family that a genetic predisposition towards higher cognitive ability was associated with longer lifespan." Haven't read the original Cell Reports paper yet, was it in there?

Latewings, yes Steve Jobs tried a vegan diet, acupuncture, herbal remedies, and other treatments he found online, and even consulted a psychic. He also said taking LSD was "one of the two or three most important things" he did in his life. But his biographer reckons he had a roughly 160 IQ. Which just goes to show that even bright people sometimes make bad choices.
Muscular Jam

Postby par_annoyed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

No No No - Stephen Hawking HAS BEEN REPLACED with a look-alike who now only spouts government propaganda.... It's TRUE !! Honest !!
(seriously - I have to say the site I looked at had some 'interesting' photos to support their hypothesis - ears, teeth, facial shape etc. Of course I'm SURE that not of them were photoshopped or anything sneaky like that. Good for a laugh anyway.)

My take is that the brighter ancestors probably did survive longer and more often, as they made better choices. Simple. Those genes get passed on, so the idea that longevity and intelligence are [vaguely] linked probably does make sense.
But I also think the Idiocracy idea is perfectly valid as well - Mankind's present lifestyle and environment no longer requires or favours intelligence as a survival trait, leaving the 'reproduce or die' driver as a stronger imperative...
par_annoyed

Postby Muscular Jam » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:50 am

par_annoyed wrote:No No No - Stephen Hawking HAS BEEN REPLACED with a look-alike who now only spouts government propaganda
Impossible, I'd recognise his voice anywhere :lol:
Muscular Jam

Postby hagfish » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm of the opinion that low infant mortality in the 'west' is among the greatest threats to our survival.

In 'hot' countries, a woman might have 10 children, of which two or three survive to sexual maturity. I would argue to that - odds are - these will be two or three of the 'better' ones.

In the west, a woman might have a couple of children, and odds are they will both survive to sexual maturity, regardless of their genetic (dis)advantages. Here we are, a few generations on, blighted with bung teeth and eyes, diabetes, all manner of endocrine afflictions and mental health problems. Meanwhile in sub-Saharan Africa, the adults have long clean limbs and bright smiles.

Are we victims of our own success? Could this be the basis of the Fermi Paradox?

EDIT: This also means that 'oddballs' have a better chance of making it to adulthood. It's the oddballs who have been responsible for many/most of the west's breakthroughs in technology, the arts, social and economic endeavours. A double-edged sword..
hagfish

Postby Muscular Jam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:12 am

hagfish wrote:In 'hot' countries, a woman might have 10 children, of which two or three survive to sexual maturity. I would argue to that - odds are - these will be two or three of the 'better' ones.
Maybe, or perhaps its just luck of the draw and who knows how many potential Einsteins and Hawkings died of some easily preventable infection in infancy.
hagfish wrote:Are we victims of our own success? Could this be the basis of the Fermi Paradox?
Perhaps, but I think it is noteworthy that the fermi paradox is from the 50s and the drake equation from 1961. But our view of the universe was significantly altered by the discovery of the cosmic microwave radiation background in 1964, (although they didn't get the nobel prize for it until 1978). So I'd argue that the fermi paradox and drake equation simply reflect an obsolete view of our universe, and that modern advances in astronomy and biology have made the rare earth hypothesis a better answer.

But in the end, I think evolution is over-rated. Did it give us our ability to fly? To detect neutrinos?
Muscular Jam

Next

Return to Today's column